King Air spin

New Englander

So my wife sometimes says "It's nice, let's take the plane up for a spin" to which I reply "let's take it up for a ride". She finally asked why I say that and I went looking for a spin video and found this one. The King Air is being flown just above stall speed with the power way back on the left engine and up on the right to hold altitude - a common operation but it takes lots of rudder to counteract the yaw. Well, when the 6th guy gets out it not only moves the CG too far aft it blocks the airflow over the tail, so you can see the plane pitch up and stall. With all the yaw it snaps into a spin. It looks like a couple of secondary stalls and spin entries on the recovery, possibly attempting to pull out too fast after stopping the spin. In the spin the plane is stalled and not building speed but once you break the stall/stop the rotation it's very nose low and builds speed rapidly.

Anyway, after seeing the video she says let's go for a rideūüėĀ

• Like 2

Watched that on the blancolirio (Juan Brown) channel a few days ago.

Years ago, I was reading something, and the author called out all these people that go on about how they 'flew' somewhere, and he said they DID NOT fly, and unless they were piloting the aircraft, they RODE.

3 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Watched that on the blancolirio (Juan Brown) channel a few days ago.

Thanks, I looked for it and found it. He came up with pretty much the same conclusion I did - plane pitches up due loss of elevator control and aft CG. I disagree with him a bit. Sky dive operations have been using the same technique for years.  I knew a guy who flew twin Beeches the same way - just above stall speed with asymmetric thrust so as not to beat up the jumpers. Anyway, done right it's safe, if you can call anything about jumping out of planes safe.

I would think a T tail plane would be better with the elevator up in clean air rather than right behind the door. Probably too expensive to buy; older King Airs are relatively inexpensive and the PT6 engines are pretty bullet proof.

Interesting that Brown found the report and the pilot stated the plane reacted well! Twins are rarely spin tested. The only one I know of was the Beech Duchess 76, which turned out to be so predictable it probably could have bee certified for spins!

I enjoyed flying the Duchess when I worked for a Beechcraft dealer and I'd like to have one instead of my 182. It only burns a little more fuel than my 182, goes faster, and is quite comfortable. But they've all been turned into trainers and beat to crap.

I just found a video!:

42 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I love the Folgers coffee lid on the spin recovery chute container!!

Ha! If it was government they'd have to do a study, draw it up, put it out to bid.

we have a lot of privet air strips around hear I learned to fly at 16 a friend has a Stearman with a 450 prat engine fun to fly one day on a nice cool morning we went up so he could coach me on rolls   and spins   after that we did a hammerhead stall I had to change my shorts after that one  a 5800lb aircraft has a glide rate of an anvil!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

a 5800lb aircraft has a glide rate of an anvil!!

Way back in BC when the Royal Australian Air Force had Mirages they lost one when the fire went out.  A description I heard was "They have the glide angle of a brick outhouse with the door open when that happens"

• Like 1

I did a tandem jump at 16,000 feet for my 60th, always wanted to and with my gurls bridal party we all went up, I was more nervous nelly on the ground than I was at jump time, I was on the door and had to open it, with five young ladies there ready to go no way was I not going, my gurl even said if I wanted to bale no problem, never, no way, Geronimoooooooo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I remember learning stall recovery and spins over a historic church near where I live.  I remember that church going round and round during the spin.  i think we were only supposed to do 1 1/2 revolutions, but my instructor seemed to like it so we did a few more revolutions!

I also jumped out of a perfectly good airplane once.  I remember screaming like a small child until the chute opened!  LOL.  I was the first one in the door and I remember sticking my foot out to sit in the door and the blast blew my foot back into the plane.

With that many jumpers hanging on the outside of the plane at low speed it is no wonder that the elevator on that side stalled with all that dirty air rumbling over it.

• Like 2

When I got checked out on tail wheel aircraft in a Citabria my instructor required me to learn spins/spin recovery since the airplane was certified for spins. I never really understood the logic; I did master spins but never did one after I was checked out!!!

¬†I inadvertently snap rolled a T-34 once, safety pilot was showing me the rudder authority at low speed (basically slow flight) and I ‚Äėsort of‚Äô twitched the stick back at just the right time and around we went!!!

• Like 2

Via the bloke who was in charge of airworthiness for sailplanes in Oz - seemed that spin training was not a requirement for sailplanes in US.  It certainly was here.

Then there was the bloke who bought a war surplus Tiger Moth and taught himself aerobatics "by trial and terror"

I just remembered a further story on that aircraft.  The bloke who was the source of the story was taken up for a flight.

Pilot - "Have you got your harness fastened"? - "Yes"

Pilot - "Is it tight"? - "Yes"

Pilot - "Can you breathe"? - "Yes"

Pilot - "Then it isn't bloody well tight enough"

And from WW2 where basic flight training was Tiger Moths

Instructor - "Today we teach you about fire in a Tiger Moth in the air" - "Yes, sir"

Instructor - " You all know the location of the fire extinguisher"? - "Yes, sir"

Instructor - "Well, in the case of fire in the air you reach down, grab the extinguisher firmly, throw it over the side and follow it bloody quickly"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

used to be an old bold pilot at a nearby airfield He was a pilot for Air America at the tail end of Veit Nam He had a BT-13 Valiant in the hanger I asked him if it still flew his answer was if it will start, Then he said come on after about an hour it was running and before the smoke cleared the hanger out it came I jumped in and off we went  Had to fly it with the wind screen open because it was so yellowed from age very nice aircraft and lands easy with it's wide stance landing gear compaired to the Stearman Hopping to get a ride in a mustang before they put me in the dirt.  4 years ago I had a chance to fly out to Oshkosh in a bamboo bomber T-50 with a buddy but it had a fuel tank issue and we didn't make it, When I was in Germany in the Army went to a lot of air shows and got to ride in a lot of WW-2 aircraft pretty cool !!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

T-50

Early Sky King show used a T50 before the tuna tank 310. I remember seeing a couple when I was a kid but there can't be too many left.

Funny how those early TV show characters always wore the same clothes so they could use stock footage for other shows. I remember my sister saying Penny always wore the same dress.

You guys are all crazy...I mean braver than me.  I was an engineer in the Army.  My middle guy asked me if I got to jump out of planes when I was in the Army.  I said "Absolutely not,  Son, I operated bulldozers. " Can't get much firmer affixed to the ground than that!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For sale: Beech King Air, low hours, ready to go only needs replacement seat cushions.

Regarding jumpers- I was at an airshow once where the winds were so high that one of the parachute teams as well as a couple of civilian aerobatic acts in light aircraft had to cancel.  However the Leap Frogs, the Navy's SEAL parachute demo team, were there.   Prior to their routine the announcers were interviewing one of them.  It went something like this.    Announcer:  Do you enjoy jumping out of a perfectly functioning airplane?  SEAL: There is no such thing as a perfectly functioning airplane.  Announcer: How is the high wind today going to affect your performance?   SEAL:  What wind?

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2021 at 4:42 AM, m.c.farmerboy said:

Nothing wrong with jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft as long as you have a perfectly good Chut!!

Ad on Craig's List for a parachute.   "Parachute for sale. Used only once. Never opened. Minor blood stains on the harness. Contact: merrywidow@geronimo.com for details."

• Haha 2

On 11/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

The problem is you won't know if it's good until after you've exited the airplane!

The riggers in the army could sit in the Bar all night and would never have to pay for there BEER

On 11/24/2021 at 8:42 PM, m.c.farmerboy said:

Nothing wrong with jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft as long as you have a perfectly good Chut!!

"Air is a perfectly safe medium.  It is just the transition at the bottom that can be a problem"

• Haha 2