Magnum 315

bkorth

Yes, we have a Magnum 315, either a '13, or '14, not for sure which. Major issue we have had with our is the mfd, have had it rebuilt 3 times with new axles, bearings & seals. One we pd for, one split cost with dealer & last time dealer picked up the bill.Have also had to put seals in the front hubs a couple times.,DIL nicknamed her " Broke Down Betty" Also have had issues with the hyd remotes, been replaced 3x., Other than that has been a pretty good tractor, approaching 3,000 hrs.

A 3000-hour Tier IVa Magnum....hmmmm. The first thing is to see if the engine(short block) has ever been replaced due to all the cavitation problems those engines were known for. 3000 hours is about the time that shows up. If its still the original engine, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the engine has NO water-in-oil issues through oil samples, pressure checking the cooling system, etc. CaseIH/CNH has been standing behind these engines for up to 10 years/7500 hours if all of the maintenance procedures have been documented, but the 10 year window is almost up on a 2012 machine.

Suspended Front Axle? Make sure the axle pot. moves freely.

As far as the remotes go, make sure the pilot heads all work on all the valves. Each remote valve has a little processor on top of them that can go bad like Boog is talking about.

If you can, hook up the remote valves to an implement to see if they can keep an implement raised. Otherwise you will need coupler cartridges in the remote coupler bodies.

1 hour ago, SDman said:

A 3000-hour Tier IVa Magnum....hmmmm. The first thing is to see if the engine(short block) has ever been replaced due to all the cavitation problems those engines were known for. 3000 hours is about the time that shows up. If its still the original engine, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the engine has NO water-in-oil issues through oil samples, pressure checking the cooling system, etc. CaseIH/CNH has been standing behind these engines for up to 10 years/7500 hours if all of the maintenance procedures have been documented, but the 10 year window is almost up on a 2012 machine.

Suspended Front Axle? Make sure the axle pot. moves freely.

As far as the remotes go, make sure the pilot heads all work on all the valves. Each remote valve has a little processor on top of them that can go bad like Boog is talking about.

If you can, hook up the remote valves to an implement to see if they can keep an implement raised. Otherwise you will need coupler cartridges in the remote coupler bodies.

I know about the issue with the engines and plan to get the serial number and give it to my dealer to find out if it has had the o-ring issue fixed or not, this tractor  is at a dealership now for an annual inspection,  they are pulling the engine to put an oil pan gasket and a seal in the drop box right now. I've heard so many different explanations of the engine issue that I don't know who to believe,  my dealer said there is a list of serial numbers for the tractors affected and each one should be documented if work was done to it. It does have axle suspension,  what is the issue with the potentiometer? 

Easy way to see if the engine short block has been replaced…look on the side of the block that the oil filter is on…the engine serial# tag is at the back of the block just under the head. If you see a CNH Reman tag there in place of the original SN# tag, the short block has been replaced. Now some of the early engines affected just had the o-rings on the sleeves replaced…kind of a chintzy way to repair an engine, but that was how it was handled originally. 
ALL Magnum TierIVa engines fell into the serial# range that could have this problem, but only the ones that had problems with cavitation(water in oil) had anything done to them. About 2-3 years ago, CNH came out with a bottle of conditioner that we were supposed to add to the cooling system on those tractors…this conditioner was supposed to swell up the o-rings to make them less likely to leak. In other words, a cheap attempt to fix an expensive problem. For the most part, I would say most engines that were going to have this problem have been repaired, but I’m sure there are still some out there yet that will show up sooner or later. 

0E8B3E4C-B3B9-41D4-9D0E-13B9C420E1C5.jpeg

15 minutes ago, SDman said:

Easy way to see if the engine short block has been replaced…look on the side of the block that the oil filter is on…the engine serial# tag is at the back of the block just under the head. If you see a CNH Reman tag there in place of the original SN# tag, the short block has been replaced. Now some of the early engines affected just had the o-rings on the sleeves replaced…kind of a chintzy way to repair an engine, but that was how it was handled originally. 
ALL Magnum TierIVa engines fell into the serial# range that could have this problem, but only the ones that had problems with cavitation(water in oil) had anything done to them. About 2-3 years ago, CNH came out with a bottle of conditioner that we were supposed to add to the cooling system on those tractors…this conditioner was supposed to swell up the o-rings to make them less likely to leak. In other words, a cheap attempt to fix an expensive problem. For the most part, I would say most engines that were going to have this problem have been repaired, but I’m sure there are still some out there yet that will show up sooner or later. 

0E8B3E4C-B3B9-41D4-9D0E-13B9C420E1C5.jpeg

Thanks SDman, I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll know what to look for now. As explained to me by the service manager the o-rings were coming from 3 different suppliers,  two of them were good and one was bad but no way of knowing which engines got what o-rings, does that sound about right?

53 minutes ago, bkorth said:

Thanks SDman, I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll know what to look for now. As explained to me by the service manager the o-rings were coming from 3 different suppliers,  two of them were good and one was bad but no way of knowing which engines got what o-rings, does that sound about right?

That seems to be the official answer that they've been stuck on for several years. Not sure I believe it 100%, I've heard a couple different other versions as well. To sum it up....that's one of the chances you take when you decide to build engines in a foreign country to save some $$$, and I'm just going to leave it at that.

As far as the front suspension, it's not the pot. that gives problems, its the linkage from the axle to the pot. that freezes up and causes problems. There's a pin in the axle that seizes up, causing the pot. not to rotate. Remove the pin, clean it up, coat it with anti-sieze, and reinstall it back into the axle.

One other thing is to make sure the heater valve works properly. They would tend to stick and then you had poor climate control. They came out with a newer-style valve and better software to make them work much better.

4 hours ago, SDman said:

That seems to be the official answer that they've been stuck on for several years. Not sure I believe it 100%, I've heard a couple different other versions as well. To sum it up....that's one of the chances you take when you decide to build engines in a foreign country to save some $$$, and I'm just going to leave it at that.

As far as the front suspension, it's not the pot. that gives problems, its the linkage from the axle to the pot. that freezes up and causes problems. There's a pin in the axle that seizes up, causing the pot. not to rotate. Remove the pin, clean it up, coat it with anti-sieze, and reinstall it back into the axle.

One other thing is to make sure the heater valve works properly. They would tend to stick and then you had poor climate control. They came out with a newer-style valve and better software to make them work much better.

It sounds like the previous owner is  pretty anal about his equipment,  always brings things in for annual inspections so I'm hoping these things have been addressed and there is paperwork to back it up, we shall see.  I just don't want to make that big of a purchase and end up regretting it.

Maybe these companies could hire the local high school Ag shop to build their engines. I don’t think the failure rate would be much higher and it might save money. John Deere can have them guessing on liner height and oil passage diameter and CNH can have them installing reject parts. I don’t know what the excuse could possibly be for things like this to keep happening. 

• Like 1

Well, I told this salesman on Friday  that I would be there Monday morning by9:30 to look at this tractor, said I couldn't make it Saturday and he had to be out of there by noon to get to a wedding anyway. I took a friend with me today and we walked in the door at 9:34 and this salesman is nowhere to be found and nobody has seen him, won't answer his phone, then another salesman says he got a text from him Saturday afternoon at 2:30 that he sold it to someone else. He knew I was coming and sold it anyway,  I was number 1 on the list for this tractor and he sold it out from under me and then doesn't bother to contact me so I don't  waste 6 hours of my life to go look at it. I'm pissed and will never darken their door again. The worst part is it was a good one with full service records. 

That sucks.  I'm usually loyal until someone gives me a reason not to be.  I would never give them a dime again.  Maybe it will end up being a blessing and something better will come along.  

Messicks allows holds on equipment to prevent this very thing.  No commitment other then someone is coming to look at it.  The other places I deal with are small and hopefully wouldn't do that to anyone.