High HP 1086

IH Mark

I always thought any diesel engine acted lazy, but turn it up 10-15% and it became a whole different animal and wouldn't self-distruct or make the fuel delivery guy drive a Cadilac to/from work.

There was a spell in spring of '79 that Melrose Park was REALLY struggling to keep up with engine demand.  Farmall was running about as hard as we could, East Moline too, also using 400-series, and Springfield was pushing out the most popular medium duty truck line in the country with the DT-466. I forget which engine Melrose shorted me on but they put a couple extra on a Carstensen Freight trailer the next day that I was probably going to run out, I told the Traffic Manager at Melrose that he needed to tell the driver to deliver to the Engine dock at FARMALL, and I'd handle getting him unloaded quick even if I had to do it myself.  Engines had their own dock, only two dock spaces.  Things went well till about 2 PM when the Carstensen city driver bumped into the road driver delivering the load of engines.  My Traffic Manager always liked it when he had a legitament reason to chew my butt, and he went home happy that day, and I told him I did it so I didn't let the line shut down. But my Boss seemed to think I did the right thing, he just suggested I call My Traffic Manager and tell HIM I need the truck by 2PM or sooner.  I also called the Production manager and told him if he EVER came close to shutting me down like that again I would give him a VERY FIRM daily shipping requirement, By part number and I didn't give a damn if IH ever built a combine or straight truck ever again, Then I told him I already had his Boss's phone number.  But a situation like that could possibly cause an engine to be substituted, but so many people checked the engine model and part number all along the start like that someone would have caught it. There were supervisors and stock chasers, and lead people in the engine room that made sure we had parts on hand for every day, they typically ordered parts from the warehouse but they kept track of big items and called the appropriate buyer.

Now,  My Co-Worker the first summer I worked for the Township road commissioner, His Dad was about the last Die-Hard IH guy around. He had a 706-G nfe chore tractor, every day I got hog feed in town he got hog feed! But he pulled a tandem axle 2-compartment Grain-O-Vator augerwagon with the horizontal pivoting unloading auger. Their BIG tractor was an 806-D, then he traded for a 1066, and it just flew with the 5-16 plow, Dealer checked it out, yes, somehow a 1466 engine made it out of FARMALL in that 1066. They checked it right down to the part numbers of the engine block, inj pump, turbo, everything was correct for 1466.  He traded the 1066 for a 1086, and it was a gear slower than the 1066.  Supposedly there were 3-4 other 1066 tractors that got 1466 engines.  It happens, but not very often. I asked the supervisors in several departments if they ever heard of a wrong engine getting in a tractor and shipping to a dealer and they all said absolutely not.  But it happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I always thought any diesel engine acted lazy, but turn it up 10-15% and it became a whole different animal and wouldn't self-distruct or make the fuel delivery guy drive a Cadilac to/from work.

There was a spell in spring of '79 that Melrose Park was REALLY struggling to keep up with engine demand.  Farmall was running about as hard as we could, East Moline too, also using 400-series, and Springfield was pushing out the most popular medium duty truck line in the country with the DT-466. I forget which engine Melrose shorted me on but they put a couple extra on a Carstensen Freight trailer the next day that I was probably going to run out, I told the Traffic Manager at Melrose that he needed to tell the driver to deliver to the Engine dock at FARMALL, and I'd handle getting him unloaded quick even if I had to do it myself.  Engines had their own dock, only two dock spaces.  Things went well till about 2 PM when the Carstensen city driver bumped into the road driver delivering the load of engines.  My Traffic Manager always liked it when he had a legitament reason to chew my butt, and he went home happy that day, and I told him I did it so I didn't let the line shut down. But my Boss seemed to think I did the right thing, he just suggested I call My Traffic Manager and tell HIM I need the truck by 2PM or sooner.  I also called the Production manager and told him if he EVER came close to shutting me down like that again I would give him a VERY FIRM daily shipping requirement, By part number and I didn't give a damn if IH ever built a combine or straight truck ever again, Then I told him I already had his Boss's phone number.  But a situation like that could possibly cause an engine to be substituted, but so many people checked the engine model and part number all along the start like that someone would have caught it. There were supervisors and stock chasers, and lead people in the engine room that made sure we had parts on hand for every day, they typically ordered parts from the warehouse but they kept track of big items and called the appropriate buyer.

Now,  My Co-Worker the first summer I worked for the Township road commissioner, His Dad was about the last Die-Hard IH guy around. He had a 706-G nfe chore tractor, every day I got hog feed in town he got hog feed! But he pulled a tandem axle 2-compartment Grain-O-Vator augerwagon with the horizontal pivoting unloading auger. Their BIG tractor was an 806-D, then he traded for a 1066, and it just flew with the 5-16 plow, Dealer checked it out, yes, somehow a 1466 engine made it out of FARMALL in that 1066. They checked it right down to the part numbers of the engine block, inj pump, turbo, everything was correct for 1466.  He traded the 1066 for a 1086, and it was a gear slower than the 1066.  Supposedly there were 3-4 other 1066 tractors that got 1466 engines.  It happens, but not very often. I asked the supervisors in several departments if they ever heard of a wrong engine getting in a tractor and shipping to a dealer and they all said absolutely not.  But it happened.

Doctor,  you need to put all these stories in a book or go onto the Harvester Heritage website and record them there.  Future IH enthusiasts need to know these stories behind the machines we love so much!

• Like 3

I bought a new 7120 when they first came out. Out of the factory it denied 187hp. Traded it for a 7120 when the 4spd reverse came out. Compared to the first 7120 it was a dogged, all same equipment but it struggle running a gear slower. Dealer put it on the dyno & it turned 157hp, factory ratings. Service manager said it was where it should be, nothing he could do without voiding warranty. Dealer was part of a multistage dealership that had a store closer to us that did a lot of our service work. Bought from 1st store because a good friend was a salesman there. I contacted the sm at the 2nd store, he called sm at 1st store & told him to send pump to the pump shop & have them set it to" high factory settings". He said that should give us more hpm& tractor would remain under warranty  When pump came back tractor denied 185hp.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

but so many people checked the engine model and part number all along the start like that someone would have caught it

Caught it, yes. Would they say something, or pretend that they didn't see it?

How big of a deal was it to turn a tractor around and fix a production mistake? Of course you'd fix something that was going to interfere with the operation of the tractor, but something like this wouldn't hurt a thing, and it would give grandfathers something to tell their grandkids about, not to mention give online forums unfounded rumors to discuss some 45 years later...

Something I have to ask, how is it IH's fault that a new tractor that is operating in spec doesn't perform up to par with your old souped up pushed to the bleeding edge limit machine?

Turbo an 806 and crank down the smoke screw until it's probably turning 187. You can't expect a stock off the lot 1086 to keep up with that.

Same deal with the 1206. Probably cranked down until the black smoke just poured out of it. No way a stock 1086 could compete with that.

There was a reason you traded that old tractor in on the new one. Namely they were getting old and tired and you were doubting their ability to hold up to the power much longer. Otherwise, why trade?

Should've gotten the 1486.

• Like 1