High HP 1086

IH Mark

We had an 1979 1086 , most were around 130-135 hp in my area. Ours had 155 from the day we got it. It was not modified in any way. Just wondering if anyone else had one of these? A IH mechanic told me once they put the DT 436 in a few 1086s in that year by accident making it a 1486 for the price of a 10. I never was able to find anyone else to verify that claim. We just figured we got lucky.

Doubt anything was done by accident the engine's are stamped for displacement , Even a 414 cu in could easily do 155 hp which was the size engines 1086's used 

I don't know about your 1086 but 150 range seems normal to me .I got a 1066 that I am 2nd owner bought it from the original owner and it's got 152 with the original factory seal on it.It was dynoed at IH dealer years back .I got another 10 that's 149 but it was over hauled and pump redone so factory hp setting is unknown. I had  a 1086 and it was no stronger than any 1066 I had.

I was told by a old IH mechanic that IH understated HP and set HP higher at the factory so they would out perform competitors. He said a good 10 would be 145 150 and 14 185 from factory. I wouldn't be afraid of a 200 hp 10 or 14 to last in the field. 

I'm starting to think theres a lot of inflated dyno numbers thrown out there.  I'm no expert but I have to say that every tractor I've hooked up the the P400B I bought off @Pete1468 has been pretty darn close to what theyre supposed to have, or a bit less if they're a bit spanked with age.  

Had a 4440 Deere I did a new turbo, manifold, and valve adjustment on that was really hot at almost 170 HP and scratched my head a bit until the owner told me it had a 7720 combine engine in it which that hp was about right on the money there as well.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm starting to think theres a lot of inflated dyno numbers thrown out there.  I'm no expert but I have to say that every tractor I've hooked up the the P400B I bought off @Pete1468 has been pretty darn close to what theyre supposed to have, or a bit less if they're a bit spanked with age.  

Had a 4440 Deere I did a new turbo, manifold, and valve adjustment on that was really hot at almost 170 HP and scratched my head a bit until the owner told me it had a 7720 combine engine in it which that hp was about right on the money there as well.  

You are exactly right. My neighbor who was a close friend of mine was an IH mechanic starting in the 40 and quitting in the 80's at our dealership in town and was the shop foreman for years so he did a lot of PDI's and overseen the rest. One day sitting at his kitchen table I asked how many IH tractors ran over there rated horsepower after reading the same topic on here multiple times and very quickly he said none ever. This man truly was a genius as a mechanic and wasn't one to stretch the truth.

I think this is one of those things that depended on your dealer.  As I recall from things Pete23 (does he still post here? hope he's well) said,  having the IH seal on your pump doesn't mean as much as you'd think-  the dealers had the tooling to make the seal themselves, and if someone wanted their 10 set to run like a 14 it could be done and still look "factory".

• Like 3

I vaguely remember someone bringing this rumor up before but I don't remember the outcome. Certainly if a 1086 got a 436 it was due to logistics, not any mistake. Even so it would have been set to factory HP. Extra cubes does not automatically mean extra power, especially on a diesel.

The jump from 414 to 436 was for marketing purposes in my opinion. Nothing a 436 can do that a 414 can not. Just to make the buyer think they're getting something more when buying the "bigger" tractor. In reality they were only getting 22 cubic inches of air for their money.

They all came with a DT414 . Our 1979 1086 Red Power Special had 150 hp from the factory , I later bumped it up to 165 hp when we got a bigger chisel plow . I overhauled it at just under 10,000 hrs do to a lifter failure and scored number 5 cylinder . It is still working yet today with approximately 14,000 hrs on it now .

Danny

150-165- Plus……is kinda the norm for anything red with a turbo here in NY, has been forever, but…our implements are small and the farms are small, so things are not actually seeing  heavy use.   I think I need 150+ to pull 10’ discbines.            A modern 125hp tractor feels like a lawnmower in comparison. Slow to rev. Not enough power in heavy crop on hills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

150-165- Plus……is kinda the norm for anything red with a turbo here in NY, has been forever, but…our implements are small and the farms are small, so things are not actually seeing  heavy use.   I think I need 150+ to pull 10’ discbines.            A modern 125hp tractor feels like a lawnmower in comparison. Slow to rev. Not enough power in heavy crop on hills. 

Yeah but you KNOW all those have had their smoke screws messed with... I know our 1066 Black Stripe had "yes" power. There's nothing on this farm that has been able to lug down my 1586... Both of them have clearly been tweeked. The OP is claiming 155HP off the dealer lot.

I ran a lot of 1066's on the dyno and most all were set at 135 hp.

But, the pump could have an issue.

The delivery valves would fail and most went to 200+ hp.

A farmer complained of high fuel consumption and was also pulling the plow deep and fast.

I told him I could fix the issue but he will not like it and explained what was wrong.

He said to come fix it and I did.

When I got back to the shop there was a call for me and he was mad. He told me I killed his tractor.

I told him it was back where it should be and if he wanted, to drive it in and I would put it on the dyno.

He refused that and lived with it.

He liked the additional 50+ hp but not the fuel bill. 

Unsure if the delivery valve could partially go bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

I was confused by this a few years ago...remember that they changed the rating on tractors a while back.   If I understand correctly, modern tractors are rated by "gross engine HP", compared to PTO HP that all the "good" tractors are rated by.    PTO HP is considerably less than Engine HP.   So that modern 125 is really only a 90-100.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I ran a lot of 1066's on the dyno and most all were set at 135 hp.

But, the pump could have an issue.

The delivery valves would fail and most went to 200+ hp.

A farmer complained of high fuel consumption and was also pulling the plow deep and fast.

I told him I could fix the issue but he will not like it and explained what was wrong.

He said to come fix it and I did.

When I got back to the shop there was a call for me and he was mad. He told me I killed his tractor.

I told him it was back where it should be and if he wanted, to drive it in and I would put it on the dyno.

He refused that and lived with it.

He liked the additional 50+ hp but not the fuel bill. 

Unsure if the delivery valve could partially go bad.

we had that happen on our 1066 I was pulling a 22' 490 disc which normally was  a load. I was going a gear faster untill my Dad came out to the field because he saw the smoke and me hauling ass across the field. I asked the mechanic what he thought it was doing and he said probably around 200. It was fun but it wouldnt have been fun for long.

This is a 1066 with no aftermarket parts or parts off any other tractor.  It has its original to-4.  I just opened the pump up backing the screws out, flip the droop lever over and removed the air filters.  Rated speed is actually 1146 so I had it pulled down maybe 25 rpms to many.  But you get the idea.  They will make power easily.

92E3DCF5-0AEE-4295-8126-452BC066CE68.png

• Like 2

When my Dad traded the 1206 for the 1086, after a week he wanted the 1206 back!

The 1086 was a turd.  Took it back put it on dyno. Had 126hp.

Suppose to have been 131.  Company guy said close enuff. Still under warranty. 

Dad told them that's Bs. It's a gutless wonder.

Dealer broke the seal and turned it up to 135

It was still a turd. No pep. Couldn't hardly take off when letn clutch out in higher gears. 

Always lugging down pullin.

After putn up with it for 3 years, sent pump in and pepped it up.

Dynoed it at work afterwards.

151hp and it had some spunk now. 

Has around 13000hrs runs great never been touched except pump and injectors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

This is a 1066 with no aftermarket parts or parts off any other tractor.  It has its original to-4.  I just opened the pump up backing the screws out, flip the droop lever over and removed the air filters.  Rated speed is actually 1146 so I had it pulled down maybe 25 rpms to many.  But you get the idea.  They will make power easily.

92E3DCF5-0AEE-4295-8126-452BC066CE68.png

230 horsepower ?!?!?!?!?

8 hours ago, ole 815 said:

When my Dad traded the 1206 for the 1086, after a week he wanted the 1206 back!

The 1086 was a turd.  Took it back put it on dyno. Had 126hp.

Suppose to have been 131.  Company guy said close enuff. Still under warranty. 

Dad told them that's Bs. It's a gutless wonder.

Dealer broke the seal and turned it up to 135

It was still a turd. No pep. Couldn't hardly take off when letn clutch out in higher gears. 

Always lugging down pullin.

After putn up with it for 3 years, sent pump in and pepped it up.

Dynoed it at work afterwards.

151hp and it had some spunk now. 

Has around 13000hrs runs great never been touched except pump and injectors.

Dad and I bought a 1206 fall of '87 to redo. We had 20 acres of stalks that needed plowed yet and put the 1206 on the 720 5x18 and plowed it. Went the same speed pretty much as with the 1086 and that 1206 just blew black smoke and went. No comparison. Winter of '88 we had Bomholts put a ta in the 1086 and some work done on the 1206. They dynoed the 12 and said it was putting out 122hp and the service manager said that was enough for that tractor. 1086 was never dynoed from new, so no idea what it even had. Bought a 3688 in 2005 always was a dog. Had the dealership dyno that, was only putting out 80hp. Original pump never taken off and all factory seals still on. They turned it up to 130 just like a 1440 had, same engine, and that made a tractor out of it then

1 hour ago, 856 Custom said:

Dad and I bought a 1206 fall of '87 to redo. We had 20 acres of stalks that needed plowed yet and put the 1206 on the 720 5x18 and plowed it. Went the same speed pretty much as with the 1086 and that 1206 just blew black smoke and went. No comparison. Winter of '88 we had Bomholts put a ta in the 1086 and some work done on the 1206. They dynoed the 12 and said it was putting out 122hp and the service manager said that was enough for that tractor. 1086 was never dynoed from new, so no idea what it even had. Bought a 3688 in 2005 always was a dog. Had the dealership dyno that, was only putting out 80hp. Original pump never taken off and all factory seals still on. They turned it up to 130 just like a 1440 had, same engine, and that made a tractor out of it then

We used the dyno a lot!

You don't know the answer if you don't ask?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

230 horsepower ?!?!?!?!?

And I suspect that just where he chose to stop. There’s plenty more in there. 
We ran our 806 at big hp….(per IH dealers Dyno) (I don’t even want to say a number) for a lot of years.   When Dad bought the first 1066…..he was sooo disappointed.  Wouldn’t pull the chopper.  Had to call in IH buddy with his wrench and screw driver….that fixed it. 

• Like 2