International/Farmall 666 Shift Linkage

IHFarmall666

I have a mid 70's International 666.  When I shift to the 4th and 5th gear range, a pin drops out of the shift linkage/shaft and drops onto the battery.  It is about an inch long and under a 1/4" square.  When this happens the shift lever drops with no resistance.  I have a IT Shop Service Manual IH202 that includes the 66 series tractors.  On page 78 there is a diagram with the shifter linkage.  Item 22 is the dowel pin that drops out of the shaft.  Does anyone have experience with how to keep that dowel pin from dropping out of the shaft?

Thanks

Dave

666 Shifter.jpg

Pull the shaft put some punch marked on pin and lock tight and center it in shaft 

Take the pin, use a center punch and a hammer to make a series of dimples around its middle like a ring on a finger. The dimples will expand the pin slightly so it fits snugly in the shaft and won't fall out. Just be careful reinserting the pin, because if you tap it too far you are taking the fuel tank off the tractor to tap it back.

• Like 2

If I put dimples in the pin and push it back into the shaft, does it go in flush with the shaft?  I have had to put it back in a number of times, and I jiggle the shift lever until it slides linkage past the dowel.  I haven't noticed if I pushed the pin flush before the shifter starts working again.

It is centered in the shaft so that it engages the shift arms 27-28-29 in the diagram. It should protrude from the shaft equally on each side.  If you punch it in flush you will lock the shifter and you will need to take the fuel tank and other parts off to drive it back out from above.

Go a little bit at a time. Tap, try, tap, try, tap, try. You can also stick your pinky finger up in there and feel how far it needs to go.

1 hour ago, 65806 said:

I’m pretty sure the 666 casting is notched so you can install the square pin centered in the shaft first and then slide the assembly into the casting. 

Late 656 and any others that have had the update properly done are notched. My reference to the file or die grinder was for those that aren't. I have had no luck making a lasting repair with a pin that has been removed or came out.

• Thanks 1

I still have a couple NOS square pins for I656 out in the shop, from the days when I was playing the same game with my 656, before I finally got the new shaft kit.

Also could find one at a salvage yard.