Really struggling with this.

DT Fan

I'm so sorry for your loss.

When I heard of my high school best friend's passing I was fine until later in the evening when all of the memories came back. I sobbed myself to sleep. We'd moved in different directions/states, only catching up occasionally. I always thought we'd have some more time to catch up, but no. Even now when I think of him I realize I was never closer to any other friend.

When you share so much as you and your friend did it's a big hole in your heart.

😪

• Thanks 1

...just read this....

that is just so sad......condolances from  NZ...

...a lot of us  are facing this sudden passing  of close  friends ....it   is a real shakeup   and a realisation   that nothing is forever

,,,,I try to enjoy every day  above the grass.....

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I do know what it's like to loose a close friend suddenly. It doesn't get better, it just gets easier after a while; I still have an occasional bad day years later. There is no shame in grief, and each of us process it in our own way. At the very least he died doing what he loved, and I can only hope that my last sight on earth is walking up to a pointed bird dog with my friends, or hooked into a darn good bass. 

Mac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If any of you are in the Newton Ia. area Friday, the visitation will be 3-5 at the Izacc Walton league. Celebration of life to follow. If you have time, stop by and say hey. If you have on an IH hat or something it would be easy to pick you out.

I have a ride found, pretty sure I'll be in no shape to drive when this is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This maybe a little macabre, but I thought it was kind of cool. My cousins son contacted me this morning, wanted to 'load' some of his Dad's ashes in a 12 Ga. shell. He was having trouble, would I help? Yeah, pretty sure I can help. Dug out my trusty old 700 Versa-mec. He had some AA empties, used plastic buffer for the powder. Some antique card wads for filling and the ashes took the place of the shot. Sealed with finger-nail polish. We made five rounds for those of of close to Jay. There was enough ash left I loaded one more round, will give that to the uncle/helper.

It still doesn't seem possible that he's really gone.

At any rate, I thought this was a pretty cool, fitting tribute to a guy that loved to shoot.

IMG_1237.JPG

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, hardtail said:

That is very personal and unique 

Agreed.  I like it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

This maybe a little macabre, but I thought it was kind of cool. My cousins son contacted me this morning, wanted to 'load' some of his Dad's ashes in a 12 Ga. shell. He was having trouble, would I help? Yeah, pretty sure I can help. Dug out my trusty old 700 Versa-mec. He had some AA empties, used plastic buffer for the powder. Some antique card wads for filling and the ashes took the place of the shot. Sealed with finger-nail polish. We made five rounds for those of of close to Jay. There was enough ash left I loaded one more round, will give that to the uncle/helper.

At any rate, I thought this was a pretty cool, fitting tribute to a guy that loved to shoot.

IMG_1237.JPG

nice nice nice.........good job on the helping hand and making even more memories 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DT Fan said:

IMG_1237.JPG

My uncle was a big duck and goose hunter with a permanent blind on the Missouri.

I remember him telling me of being requested to do that with some of his hunting buddies that passed before him.

It was usually done opening morning of the next season.

If you've never experienced the comraderie of the blind, you probably can't understand the importance of being in the blind on opening morning each year.

• Like 3