Tractor of the week # 32 886

INTERNATIONAL 1466

The International 886 is up this week. I can honestly say I never remembered seeing an 886 when they were newish. Never saw one at a dealer and didn't know of any around either. Today however I do know of a couple on farms nearby. I am sure they are fine tractors, but I would have bought a 986 to do the jobs most did with an 886. Any 886 pictures out there?

1d46ec941774ddf403bad8e7a25aaae5--case-ih-international-harvester.jpg

images.jpg

• Like 3

I've been told some 886's would run right with a 986. The old wreck of an 886 I had didn't seem that way. I get almost as much work outvof 884's as it did. It had the 360 and some weird mcv/ta problems. If I'd had the support of the Red Power Forum guys back them I might have got it sorted out, but no such luck at that time so I sent it down the road. Someday I could talk my self into a nice 358 powered one though!

When I was a college student back during the early 1980's the school farm had a 2 year old 886 and a 1 year old 786.  My understanding is the 786 is still there but in sorry condition.  I remember one time I got to drive the 786 to bring the manure spreader down to the gutter cleaner and it had less than 200 hours on it.  The school put a turbo on the 886 as they thought it was a little weak running the 2 row NH 782 chopper.  I miss those days.  

Dad bought a new 886 in '76.  Of course it had the 360, which was fine with me since the one in my 766 ran so strong.

He never put a windmill on the 886, although it would have liked it.  I don't recall for sure, but I may have given the fuel screw one turn to make it run 95 hp or so.

It ran pretty much like my 766 pre-turbo did.  Pulled 5-16s in 3rd, both direct and T/A.  Nice tractor, and not very thirsty - three to four gph on the plow.  It would run a long time on a tank of fuel.

I think I have a picture of it somewhere, but know not where it is right now.

My cousin picked up an 886 with ROPS 5+ years ago, '77 model. I personally haven't been on it too much but it seems to be a good runner, strong TA. It gets used for odd jobs, usually running augers and pulling silage wagons.  If you ask my uncle he'd rather his 806 any day ... unless it's raining :D,  but from what I remember the price was right. I haven't seen too many around with the ROPS, I'm not a fan of the paint scheme the previous owner opted for, maybe she'll get to the front of the line for a paint job someday. Didn't have a very good picture, this is when things get crammed inside for the winter.

886.thumb.jpg.9287c0ee197edd8789b31fdf8b001a4a.jpg 

Back in the late 90s local dealer had one in for winter service work. Think it was under 2000 hrs. Customer was a hay farmer that went south for the winter somehow he talked the dealer into keeping it inside their warehouse. That winter under heavy snow roof came down. I remember seeing it with a truss across the cab. Next time I saw it it had an 88 series cab on it

I have two 886 with D360 the engine. 

The one with the loader is a clean local tractor. I am the third owner and it has original paint. Approximately 4000 hours.

The one in the shop was a good tractor but is apart because the sleeves got holes in them. I need to put her back together.

I really like the 886. I use them for lighter jobs to save fuel but get a nice cab and AC.

Thx-Ace 

Photo0593.jpg

20201227_141437.jpg

• Like 1