Early dodge diesel pickups (1978)

dale560

When I stop at tsc  I like to pickup the truck magazines. This one had a bunch of dodge truck info. First time I realized dodge had a Diesel engine available in 1978. A Mitsubishi 6 cyl. Suprising how many mfg were going towards diesels back then. Anybody know anything about these?  

AD855804-8FBA-4BF8-9FEB-EABB61DD01EE.jpeg

31013677-5923-4E87-95CF-8C27EF2FAEEA.jpeg

11E789EB-46E5-43E3-9178-7F6A4BEF2527.png

D5AE7C1C-A601-4362-9A40-B3EB34E479E8.jpeg

That is interesting.  I had no idea.  Looking forward from 78 to 94 my opinion is the venture with the Cummins 5.9 revitalized them and  put them back in the game with chevy and ford.  

I never saw one, but knew they existed.  A coworker of 15+ years, who was from Kentucky originally, said his dad, who was a pilot and aircraft mechanic for a living, had one of these for decades.  Said it kept looking worse but the engine was still strong.  I have two of the 12-valves and a late model ton Ram with def/dpf.  Man, saying what we all know, older is better.  

9 minutes ago, russ_alabama said:

Man, saying what we all know, older is better.  

I don’t know, I had a 91 1 ton 12 valve. I also have a 2012 1 ton. I know for a fact which is going to get driven any distance!! I don’t want to ride in the 91 any farther than I have to. I also know which one has the most power and again it isn’t the older one. 

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I don’t know, I had a 91 1 ton 12 valve. I also have a 2012 1 ton. I know for a fact which is going to get driven any distance!! I don’t want to ride in the 91 any farther than I have to. I also know which one has the most power and again it isn’t the older one. 

oh, i agree with both those things.  i brought my '14 cab and chassis home new on a gooseneck pulling it with the '94 4wd thru some mountains with the trailer brakes out (dragged the cable and killed the connection for brakes).  i was screaming down hill and smoking brakes and was banging between 2nd and 3rd up hill.  it's like a six cyl chevy in a grain truck... a 12 valve stock will pull anything, but it's slow.  thing i like tho' is i just don't work on them ever, other than oil and filter changes.  the '14 flipped the def code a few months ago at 38kmi that gives me x number of miles till 5mph.  so, made some decisions on that one that you can't post these days (cummins forum locked down any talk of d_lete stuff -- the E,PA is watching all of that now ).  other than that, the '14's been great, gobs of power (i've hauled 18klb on the gooseneck and it just takes off and drives normal).  

3 minutes ago, russ_alabama said:

oh, i agree with both those things.  i brought my '14 cab and chassis home new on a gooseneck pulling it with the '94 4wd thru some mountains with the trailer brakes out (dragged the cable and killed the connection for brakes).  i was screaming down hill and smoking brakes and was banging between 2nd and 3rd up hill.  it's like a six cyl chevy in a grain truck... a 12 valve stock will pull anything, but it's slow.  thing i like tho' is i just don't work on them ever, other than oil and filter changes.  the '14 flipped the def code a few months ago at 38kmi that gives me x number of miles till 5mph.  so, made some decisions on that one that you can't post these days (cummins forum locked down any talk of d_lete stuff -- the E,PA is watching all of that now ).  other than that, the '14's been great, gobs of power (i've hauled 18klb on the gooseneck and it just takes off and drives normal).  

I would never do a de!3te thing! I did an egr update and had to repair the exhaust!!

I remember the early Dodges coming out with the diesel and know of 1 or 2 in the neighborhood. Low power was the main comment, about like a 198 Chrysler/Nissan used in the 1976 Scouts, one of which I still own.  My Scout came with the auto transmission with a locking rearend (which sure wasn't used!) but still runs good.    

1 minute ago, Lazy WP said:

I would never do a de!3te thing! I did an egr update and had to repair the exhaust!!

well, i've not done anything yet.  have 113mi left of the 150mi that you get to do something.  it's strictly a farm truck.  you were lucky to have gotten the '12 versus '14, as def comes in to play.  regen is one thing, but def brings in a lot more issues.  shocking what the value of these trucks has done in the market.  i can get what i paid for the truck 7yrs ago today.  of course, after some number of k in repair for the def thing.  lol.  

12 hours ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

I remember the early Dodges coming out with the diesel and know of 1 or 2 in the neighborhood. Low power was the main comment, about like a 198 Chrysler/Nissan used in the 1976 Scouts, one of which I still own.  My Scout came with the auto transmission with a locking rearend (which sure wasn't used!) but still runs good.    

Ha-Ha,  when I first read the description of the diesel in the Dodge I thought of the diesel Scout.

Dad had a '67 Dodge D100, 8 ft style-side box, think it had the 225 slant-6, 3 on the tree. Heaviest thing I ever hauled with it was my Yamaha RD-350 home the night I bought it.  The ready-mix company sent me to the Quad-Cities, Moline & Rock Island, Ill, Davenport & Bettendorf, Iowa, picked up a full 55 gal drum of air entrainer for concrete, picked up a starter at Emies's Electric in Davenport, and got something else too. Company's '74 or '75 orange long bed styleside with 318 V8. It sure was slow with a full 55 gal drum in the bed.  Think they bought 10-12 of them, the construction business got most of them, they did big street lighting projects and traffic signal installations all across the mid-west.

I believe that engine was only available in the half ton, not 3/4 ton. I had some sales literature that showed a special edition, short bed 4x4, red/black/yellow trim lines, that could be had with that engine. Kinda wanted one but never happened. Would have been one of the "cooler" trucks in the school parking lot.

8 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Ha-Ha,  when I first read the description of the diesel in the Dodge I thought of the diesel Scout.

Dad had a '67 Dodge D100, 8 ft style-side box, think it had the 225 slant-6, 3 on the tree. Heaviest thing I ever hauled with it was my Yamaha RD-350 home the night I bought it.  The ready-mix company sent me to the Quad-Cities, Moline & Rock Island, Ill, Davenport & Bettendorf, Iowa, picked up a full 55 gal drum of air entrainer for concrete, picked up a starter at Emies's Electric in Davenport, and got something else too. Company's '74 or '75 orange long bed styleside with 318 V8. It sure was slow with a full 55 gal drum in the bed.  Think they bought 10-12 of them, the construction business got most of them, they did big street lighting projects and traffic signal installations all across the mid-west.

I had an RD-350 for about 3-4yrs as a young teenager.  Bought it non running from sitting a long time.  Mechanic for Yamaha was on Dad's mail route, and agreed to get it running.  We went to pick it up and Dad went out to the truck to move it to a ditch for loading.  Mechanic said what had i been riding.  Cub 50 Honda.  He had a pained expression and said, ok, your dad's out there and this is just us... explained the power band thing and explained Dad didn't know what he'd got me.  Dad tried riding it one time and just came back and said, "well, that's it for me."  Never rode another one.  I wish I'd stuck it back in the shed and kept it.  That was the most fun bike out of a half dozen or so that I had.  

6 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

If I remember it was same as in tractor I had a 66 F-250 with factory manual and it talked about cold weather starting for diesel motor 

Perkins motor was available in Argentina or Brazil. Can’t find anything about US production.

I have had Dodge diesels from 93 until the present. The 93 1 ton was one of the roughest riding trucks I ever sat in. But it ran and ran. I retired it to the farm with close to 400,00 miles when I bought a 97, put close to 200,00 miles on it and bought the 2,000 I still have. Then bought a 2001 which I still have. Both of these have around 300,00 miles on them. In 09 I bought another 3500,  it was the worse, clutch went out with less than 10,000 miles on it and I found out about 2 pieces fly wheels, had to replace the clutch and flywheel. Less than a month later I twisted the rear drive shaft. It was aluminum.  Then I discovered they no longer had DANA differentials. There was a helper on the job that thought it was the sharpest welding truck. He wound up owning it and I took a plane home and got the 01 and finished the job. The 01 is a farm truck now and I will finish out my career with the 2,000.

And also I bought a GMC/Duramax around the second year they made them. I thought putting ball joints in the Dodges every was bad I had to replace the whole front end plus head gaskets, needless to say it found another home.

I personally think Ford has the best 350/450 truck now except for the motor. I just don't like them  or any of the new motors.

50 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Perkins motor was available in Argentina or Brazil. Can’t find anything about US production.

And Australia so likely NZ as well

Perkins 6-247 it was, late 1970s - early 1980s.  I heard a comment that  "it was tougher than the truck"  but that not from experience.  I rode in one.

Argentina was a 4-203 I saw somewhere - which might have needed patience

https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/Perkins_6.247

9 minutes ago, Finney said:

I have had Dodge diesels from 93 until the present. The 93 1 ton was one of the roughest riding trucks I ever sat in. But it ran and ran. I retired it to the farm with close to 400,00 miles when I bought a 97, put close to 200,00 miles on it and bought the 2,000 I still have. Then bought a 2001 which I still have. Both of these have around 300,00 miles on them. In 09 I bought another 3500,  it was the worse, clutch went out with less than 10,000 miles on it and I found out about 2 pieces fly wheels, had to replace the clutch and flywheel. Less than a month later I twisted the rear drive shaft. It was aluminum.  Then I discovered they no longer had DANA differentials. There was a helper on the job that thought it was the sharpest welding truck. He wound up owning it and I took a plane home and got the 01 and finished the job. The 01 is a farm truck now and I will finish out my career with the 2,000.

And also I bought a GMC/Duramax around the second year they made them. I thought putting ball joints in the Dodges every was bad I had to replace the whole front end plus head gaskets, needless to say it found another home.

I personally think Ford has the best 350/450 truck now except for the motor. I just don't like them  or any of the new motors.

I'm with you.  Ford has best truck but worst diesel engine by far.  Because of the engine I will never own one. Sorry Ford guys.  I know this is just one person's opinion.

A friend of Dad's had a  78 dodge 3/4 ton with Mitsubishi diesel. He drove it for many years and miles. He pulled heavy loads but slowly. It was easy on fuel. It was 249 cubic inches (i think) and not turbocharged. Seems like it had glow plugs.

It was a really good truck but it didn't have the power of a cummins.

Thx-Ace 

Dad bought a new 1967 Ford F-100 and when reading the owners manual it mentioned and displayed operating and maintenance instructions.  I believe it was around 240 to 250 cubic inches as a 6 cylinder.  I also remember reading that they were found in "P" series trucks which were probably panel delivery vans.

When did IH offer the D-301 in their pickups? Mid 1960s? Couldn't imagine dealing with those glow plugs on a regular basis for an everyday vehicle.

Wonder how the Dodge diesel compared to the GM 5.7L diesel that was offered in GMC/Chevrolet half-ton pickups in 1978-79 time frame?

A guy I work with recalls one of my old boss' Ford district reps. used to drive a 1979-80 Lincoln with a BMW 4 cyl. turbo diesel for a few years as his company car. Said the guy got along pretty good with it, too.

I can also remember in the early 1980s when Dodge had the little D-50 pickup that you could get a little 4 cyl. Mitsubishi diesel in it as well. It was comparable to a Chevy Luv or Ford Courier at the time.

The gm 5.7 diesel was more powerful but unreliable. The Mitsubishi diesel was reliable and economical but no powerhouse.

I had a 78 heavy 3/4 dodge with a 225 slant six. It had 4.10 gears and a granny 4 speed. It would pull anything, just don't get in a hurry! It was a great truck.

Thx-Ace 

we had Dodge pickups and big trucks on the farm from the late 50's up till the early 70's when I went over seas they where super good trucks and well built

wile over seas in the late 70's the Army started getting in the M-880 dodge 3/4 ton trucks I'm not sure what happened to dodge but those trucks were not the Dodge trucks I grew up with we had no end of bad luck with them

Archived