2021/22 snowmobile rides

poor farmer/logger

8 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Hard to believe, it was 60 degrees here today! Worked outside in a t-shirt.

We got up to around 20°F here today. I was actually dressed to warm and coming home I had both of my jackets partially open lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We got up to around 20°F here today. I was actually dressed to warm and coming home I had both of my jackets partially open lol. 

As I recall, 20 degrees was kind of a killer. Normal snowmobile clothing is way too warm for that! When I lived in Detroit Lakes it seemed like it rarely got above 0. We had insane amounts of snow that year. Co-workers thought I was nuts buying a sled, said get a 4-wheeler! Yeah right, 50 inches of snow later......... About wore out my little 7hp snowblower that winter! It was a great time though, wouldn't trade it for anything. Miss the people from up there all the time. My liver is probably in better shape for coming back to Iowa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wouldn’t have been to bad if I hadn’t layered up so bad lol. I usually dress the same no matter if it’s 30 above or 30 below. Fleece mid jacket combined with a cotton shirt doesn’t help lol.  Still felt good to get out into the fresh air. Been getting enough of it lately cutting firewood but still nice to be outside on a sunny day.  Have 7 loads home now but need close to that much more again. 

1EB24D71-E763-470B-9D59-09430CF531E5.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

...just wondering, Ryan, if you are embarking on another exercise  in economy, this (your ) winter...like are you going to run farm diesel in your  ski-doo   again..??:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3

Don’t think I’ll ever live that one down lol.  Times aren’t quite bad enough to start blending off my gas with diesel yet lol.  Clear diesel at times is actually higher then gas so the economics might not pencil out anyways. Dyed farm diesel on the other hand is usually a few cents cheaper then gas though so if all else fails🤔🤔😂😂 lol.  Clear diesel is right around 1.40/lt now and gas is 1.43/lt last I looked. Farm diesel is around 1.00/lt. Haven’t priced gas for a while but imagine it’s around 1.10/lt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know a fella that does construction estimating and right now they are figuring in at $2.10 a litre for dyed diesel for next year, let's hope his crystal ball is full of smoke

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I know a fella that does construction estimating and right now they are figuring in at $2.10 a litre for dyed diesel for next year, let's hope his crystal ball is full of smoke

Ouch yes that seems a little excessive. Going to hurt for sure if that comes true. Wont be able to buy fuel spray or fertilizer. Have to buy some sheep and goats I guess and let them keep the weeds down and fertilize for next year lol. 

I guess I can't use the word hope at all, maybe it's a large multi year job and he's averaging that price, not good any of it, although I was reading an article that the carbon tax is supposed to be $170 ton by 2030 which is eight times higher than current and only 8 years away🥺

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

I guess I can't use the word hope at all, maybe it's a large multi year job and he's averaging that price, not good any of it, although I was reading an article that the carbon tax is supposed to be $170 ton by 2030 which is eight times higher than current and only 8 years away🥺

Farm fuel here is exempt yet but we all know there are costs past on to offset the costs to make It and get it here regardless.  It’s definitely going to hurt the industry and ultimately consumers if they keep jacking it up like they say. Just our home heating bills will be high enough without adding in the other fuel bills.  Are you still buying coal or is that pretty much unobtainable now? 

Still buying but there is serious pressure to be done that now by 2023, probably on my last year or maybe one more if mine stays open

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hardtail said:

Still buying but there is serious pressure to be done that now by 2023, probably on my last year or maybe one more if mine stays open

I wonder what it would take and how the cost comparison would be if you could burn wood pellets instead. Big plant at La Crete. We used to buy their pellets but lately have been getting some hardwood pellets from can tire. 

I maybe could convert it to wood boiler, honestly after 20 years of coal it's showing her age with corrosion, could bring it back but the coal was handy really adjust and maintain the little things and it could run a week unsupervised and then ash needed emptying, wood is pretty much daily, not far off retirement but would like to ride America first winter off, after that you always need something to keep you busy and in shape 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

I maybe could convert it to wood boiler, honestly after 20 years of coal it's showing her age with corrosion, could bring it back but the coal was handy really adjust and maintain the little things and it could run a week unsupervised and then ash needed emptying, wood is pretty much daily, not far off retirement but would like to ride America first winter off, after that you always need something to keep you busy and in shape 

That’s one of the reasons we didn’t replace our stove when it went out. It did get to be a pain having to babysit it. We were actually siting at your table when I got the call that the neighbor had run the stove out of water.  It had a small leak and he didn’t quite have the procedure correct for adding water to it. Got home to a air locked pump and a partially froze water line.  Got cold enough in the house that moms flowers froze. Luckily no damage and by 8:30 the next morning I had everything back up and running. Took hot water from the house and back fed it through the frozen line. Eventually thawed it’s way through to the stove.  Do miss it at times though. Especially when it’s -40 and the oil furnace cuts in every 20 minutes lol. 

• Like 1

I rang the bell at SCA on the 29th, I cam home on the 30th.

Pretty lucky, we had some nice days to do a few jobs, I got the snow plow mounted and rounded up some stuff to build a wood splitter before it started to snow yesterday morning. 

Thank full that I don't seem to have much for after affects from my treatments. 

• Like 3

Nice to be back home again. Good to hear it hasn’t been to hard on you and you’re still able to get some work done and keep busy. Cousin had his first treatment in Saskatoon but has been directed back to pa now for the rest of his treatments so he doesn’t have to travel as far. 

Hasn’t been much more snowmobiling yet. Was out tonight for a little ride around home. Was down on the creek a little bit. Should be starting to freeze up pretty hard now with the colder weather today. Not much snow cover in it so it should be pretty safe after this I think. 

Been hauling out more firewood. Got 10 loads home before it got cold. Could use a few more yet though. -25°C here tonight and calling for -27°C in the morning. First cold weather we’ve had. 

23EF3C30-92B7-4871-ADC0-7DBE8B1D1610.jpeg

• Like 1

You have way more snow than us, pastures were bare yesterday going to town, got a dusting overnight, I wouldn't say cold weather coming this week but a cool down on what has been a very mild fall and early winter. I am turning the floor heat on today in anticipation, family members are ecstatic and should cut down on the grumbling. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hardtail said:

You have way more snow than us, pastures were bare yesterday going to town, got a dusting overnight, I wouldn't say cold weather coming this week but a cool down on what has been a very mild fall and early winter. I am turning the floor heat on today in anticipation, family members are ecstatic and should cut down on the grumbling. 

There was a solid 2 feet in the bush up there. This is about 50-60 miles north of home as the crow flys. It’s a little higher up and usually gets more snow then us. At the farm we’ve had about 16 inches now but with the warm weather it settled a lot. Should be pretty nice riding around here now too though after that last snowfall we had.  Was crusted pretty hard before so some fresh snow is welcome.  Brothers live just north of Saskatoon and they've only got a few inches on the ground there. Not enough to go riding yet. Hoping to get a bunch of the family together and do a group ride over the Christmas break somewhere. Supposed to be Christmas at home this year but have a few people debating if they should come out with Covid still going around. Picked up a 20lb turkey the other day so there better be a few people show up lol. 

• Like 1

Just about another 4 inches this afternoon again. Was coming down really nice for about 3 hours. Was waiting for it to warm up a bit to wash my truck after yesterday’s trip. Ended up have to clean the wash pad and truck off before I could start again. They weren’t really calling for any snow so it was a bit of a surprise.  Got the truck sled and ramp washed up again anyways. Sleds back in the shop drying out now and waiting to be checked over to make sure it’s ready for the next ride.(might be sooner then later the way the snow is coming lol)

67ED0CEE-1AAC-4CCE-B905-B9F7E86A861B.jpeg

865EED20-A982-410D-BFBA-98A57FE83846.jpeg

• Like 2

This thread is depressing......

middle of december, no snow here and close to 45 degrees out.

mine is patiently waiting while my patience is wearing thin with mother nature.........lol

20200930_170115.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Old-F20 said:

This thread is depressing......

middle of december, no snow here and close to 45 degrees out.

mine is patiently waiting while my patience is wearing thin with mother nature.........lol

20200930_170115.jpg

I know the feeling. Last couple years have been pretty good here. Can remember lots of years where we haven’t had decent snow till the middle of January only to have it melt the beginning of March.  The only plus is it isn’t breaking down costing you money when it’s siting there. It is a Polaris though so🤔🤔( just teasing lol) Hope you get some decent snow before to long so you can get out and enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

Decided to go out for a little evening ride and enjoy the fresh snow before the colder weather sets in this week. Sounds like it’s going to stick around through till after Christmas. Not crazy cold but lows of almost -30 so still cold enough.  In where it hasn’t blown the snow is starting to get fairly deep now. Was quite foggy today so there’s lots of hoar frost on the trees  maybe we’ll get some rain next spring yet  

C03A3D06-98E7-414C-88C9-13F770DA7E28.jpeg

C477115A-5B9C-4BA8-89A0-15554DF68CC6.jpeg

• Like 3