2021/22 snowmobile rides

poor farmer/logger

Well I guess it’s time to let the farming post go by the wayside as I don’t think there’ll be much more from our end to add to it now lol. Winter hit today in somewhat full force. Ended up with a nice little dump of snow. Getting close to 10 inches now and it’s still coming down.  Pretty wet snow too so it’s packing good. Warm enough it makes ice as soon as you spin a little in the trucks. Actually saw a semi go by today pulling a big bourgault vertical tillage disc. They’re a big heavy clumsy thing. Trucker must’ve been having problems as he had his pilot truck hooked to the front of him with a chain. 

Was going to just do a oil change on the sled but figured what the heck I might as well go for a ride. Went out after supper again and put on almost 20 kms. Probably half of that was spinning though lol. Lots of loose snow to play in where it’s drifted. Was really hard to see tonight though and very easy to get disoriented. My fuel light came on so I had to hurry up back home before I had to walk lol.  Not a bad start to the season anyways. 

83EA784E-C74D-45E9-AA5F-14FB7E79459E.jpeg

C2CB2603-413B-4619-B268-D0FFD3A5BA8D.jpeg

A57EA083-C836-4145-BD9B-A3BECEE1BA1C.jpeg

5318BDE5-FCB6-468F-AD59-3DAC7CF190C3.jpeg

• Like 7

jeepers couldn't resist to rub it in eh haha looks like good riding so far just got the cold wind here today, started my sled today and still runs fine tried to change the rear shock and i had ordered and picked it up and i asked when i bought it if it needed bushings in it and he said no i pulled it apart and yes i needs new bushings so i put it back together incase it did snow and it was time to have fun 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wheatking said:

jeepers couldn't resist to rub it in eh haha looks like good riding so far just got the cold wind here today, started my sled today and still runs fine tried to change the rear shock and i had ordered and picked it up and i asked when i bought it if it needed bushings in it and he said no i pulled it apart and yes i needs new bushings so i put it back together incase it did snow and it was time to have fun 

Funny how it’s a year to the day basically since we got the big dump last year.  It’s still coming down out there. Must be getting closer to a foot now. Couple inches of fresh snow on my truck now again since I parked it at the house after supper.  Only problem is there’s no frost in the ground so it’ll be at least a month or two before the groomers start going. Going to need some sleds to pack the trails a bit and push the frost in once it cools off a bit more.  No big trips planned yet anyways lol. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Enjoy while it lasts, one of these days my Snow Checked new sled shall arrive. If history repeats, most of North America will be void of snow until I give up and sell it.

We never get completely skunked here. I’m sure the remaining sleds in sask will sell out in the next few weeks now that everyone got a taste. Mind you a couple hours south of here and there isn’t much of any on the ground yet. We almost always get snow here at the farm though. North gets even more usually.  

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Alright who was leaning against the wall and bumped the winter switch?

yup came in quick this year again. Just spent the morning blowing vehicles off and pushing snow out of the yard. Box on my truck was full. I looked like frosty the snowman when I got done blowing everything off lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We never get completely skunked here. I’m sure the remaining sleds in sask will sell out in the next few weeks now that everyone got a taste. Mind you a couple hours south of here and there isn’t much of any on the ground yet. We almost always get snow here at the farm though. North gets even more usually.  

yup came in quick this year again. Just spent the morning blowing vehicles off and pushing snow out of the yard. Box on my truck was full. I looked like frosty the snowman when I got done blowing everything off lol. 

I'm in Saskatoon for the month of November, I have 20 visits to radiation dept at SCA but at home it is forecast to be above freezing most days though the 25th up to 15 one day. Possibility of rain Saturday and Sunday. No snow yet. I think it has been cold enough to freeze my dugout. 

48 minutes ago, IKS said:

I'm in Saskatoon for the month of November, I have 20 visits to radiation dept at SCA but at home it is forecast to be above freezing most days though the 25th up to 15 one day. Possibility of rain Saturday and Sunday. No snow yet. I think it has been cold enough to freeze my dugout. 

Best of luck to you on the treatments. Hopefully it’s not to hard on you and works out for the best.  Have a cousin going in around the same time for some treatments too. First dr told him you’ve got a couple months to live get your affairs in order. Certainly put a scare into him. Further testing from a higher up dr said no it’s treatable and a more common type of cancer.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Definitely quite the change from Tuesday when we took out the last load of firewood.  Snowing pretty hard today at times again. Hasn’t anointed to much more though. Tuesday they’re calling for more so we’ll see I guess. Enough in the bush I could probably go for a ride now without digging into dirt to badly. 

3B675BCB-4763-4590-B76A-073E9F79F225.jpeg

7CC1F5E4-1F57-40E3-AF53-773D6F191CD1.jpeg

004CFB2A-C0BF-4F68-A6FD-3AF7E3FD3C60.jpeg

• Like 3

We got enough snow I can probably take the sled out now. I'd say about a foot fell here, bit more 5 miles north. It has settled pretty good and melted a bit on Friday so maybe 6-8" where the wind didn't blow. Should set up a nice base 

Snapchat-1669013688.thumb.jpg.048c717c51c7833329311394aad49a6c.jpg

Snapchat-1004400884.thumb.jpg.fb1cf32060eecfcf354ee5c91c01b352.jpg

Snapchat-748095274.thumb.jpg.9c15825df00fc4700a1827bb9f22acae.jpg

• Like 3

Could be some pretty nice riding next weekend if this comes true.  I can hear a few of them noisy 2 strokes out tearing around south of here today lol. Kind of crappy riding weather though. Above zero now and it’s really sticky. Been outside most of the morning with no jacket on  just a heavy sweater.  

DC7B6307-E510-4A0A-9063-766656BF9530.png

16 hours ago, wheatking said:

ground is just finally turning white here if it stays steady all night and tomorrow i might be able to go for a ride 

glad i got the roof on the shed fixed this morning 

Definitely not roof fixing weather coming up if the winds are going to be as bad as they say. Might have to fix it again maybe if it comes true though lol.  Heard they saying up to 90 km winds over towards you.  They chopped our snowfall back quite a bit here now. Saying 5-10 cm now which if we get wind too wont amount to anything measurable in the fields as it’ll all be in the fence lines again. 

Well that was a bit of a wild ride. We didn’t get a lot of snow but the winds were pretty nasty.Not as bad as some places from what I’ve heard though. Still did a lot of damage though. The whole area just a few miles east of us has been without power for over 24 hours now. Lots of broken wires and poles. Cell coverage has been very poor that’s the only thing I’ve noticed from it. Power to the towers is down so they quit working.  Oddly enough I can use the net and make calls in the shop but not in the house which is usually the complete opposite. Had to go to the shop to catch up on YouTube lol. Leaning on the lathe next to the wood stove as I type this actually lol.  They’re saying 8:00 now they should have the power back up but they’ve been pushing it back as the day goes on so who knows. One thing for sure is there’s some cold people just a few miles away on the reserve.  Some had generators but no gas. I don’t think their store has back up power either unfortunately.  We got maybe another 3-4 inches of snow. Just enough to blow around. 

• Sad 1

We can just be thankful we’re not in the same boat as BC right now. That’s going to have a huge impact on us here regardless though I’m afraid. Could be babysitting bins of canola for another year maybe. It’s going to be a huge hit to any freight moving. Lots of Chinese gifts won’t be here in time for Christmas too I bet. I haven’t heard definitely how bad the rail line got hit but have heard that some big bridges and crossings got washed out so it won’t be good either way. Any little set back in the rail system puts us months behind. Something this large could very well put us back years. 

putting my sled back together now. Did my annual tear down and repair session. Need a couple parts to finish but so far nothing major. Few annoying things that I’d like to fix but the job to fix them is to big for the end result. Nothing major wrong so I’ll just live with the little issues till they get bigger. Nothing that’s going to leave me stranded anyways. Least I hope lol. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

2 sleds, 4 quads and 2 cats, yup your full🙄

Just got notice that my cat parts are en route so hopefully they show up sooner then later. Would be nice to get it back up and running again. I’d rather not be trying to flush the rad with water when it’s -30 too. 

• Like 1

Went out for a shakedown run today with the sled after I got it all back together. Didn’t leave home till about 12:30 so I didn’t get a real big ride in but it was a good run none the less. Put on 90 kms.  Snow was decent aside from the hard frost from the rain. That made life a little miserable at times as the front end would dive and buck you around usually at the most inopportune time lol. Everything held together anyways and I didn’t have to walk so it was a good day lol. 

ECB08FD1-29CE-423A-A0A5-BB5ECFFA0D69.jpeg

7DEC22E8-813E-48BF-9994-D306758B4B2A.jpeg

162DEC11-F832-47D1-AB7A-60F2EB99573C.jpeg

DAD91011-8D43-408D-A8BD-8556A1F8013C.jpeg

31AB7879-0331-4AF9-8C60-7BD488835854.jpeg

8A598B57-A750-40E1-8D4A-4597308A52A2.jpeg

F764AF26-07FB-4141-A3F2-E3AD07F17C43.jpeg

83F98E0A-1BA0-4B0E-A00A-ED16C4E7E281.jpeg

64218CAD-4C14-450A-AB59-08C61408082E.jpeg

56B604AA-E47C-4CE5-A2EF-7222269333F6.jpeg

AB6C4D6B-99F1-44A1-8F86-DBCA1B364025.jpeg

EE1C10EC-8DCD-4796-9533-F0A62A49B8EE.jpeg

79B2DB86-D2F8-4C48-95F1-2D5A92265AA5.jpeg

52A00BC5-A218-42A9-894D-8DDB826A63ED.jpeg

• Like 5

Got the nytro basically finished up and detailed it this morning so I decided I might as well go and get it a little dirty again this afternoon lol. Put on maybe 60-70 kms just touring around home.  Hasn’t been to many sleds out yet. Could hear some 2 strokes between our quarter and the forestry that must’ve came out from town but no one else out. Hadn’t been anyone in the bush since just after the first snow so the trails were pretty decent except where some of the hunters have tried to get back into the bush with their trucks. 

E6F0DB12-81E1-43E6-85CB-EFD051B25A05.jpeg

622B0325-835D-490A-B7A9-EDBB6CEC7B45.jpeg

3D1A954B-8941-4004-8FB2-8B22693D98E2.jpeg

4A63F14C-9170-4574-87B6-C68C7B0E4CE0.jpeg

• Like 5