Jump to content

T8 tube replacement with LED


New Englander
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just used the last of a box of florescent tubes in the shop. As incandescent lamps have burned out I've been replacing them with LEDs since the brightness has gone up and the cost has become more reasonable. Although the running cost difference won't be as great florescent to LED i"m hoping to get more light and longer life, therefore my questions:

Has anyone replaced their tubes with LEDs? Were they direct replacement or require wiring changes? Most important! Are they brighter?

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Opti-Lumen 

the 4 bulb replacement is 2 magnetic strips that stick to the fixture chassis. Part number is LSM4RKL244040 i put them in 2 bulb fixtures for extra brightness. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Opti-Lumen 

the 4 bulb replacement is 2 magnetic strips that stick to the fixture chassis. Part number is LFM4RKL244040 i put them in 2 bulb fixtures for extra brightness. 

Thanks, I found the YouTube video, couldn't be easier!

Next burn out will get one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@New Englander I just corrected the part number. In VT there is a 10 dollar rebate if you can justify them as commercial. NH might have a similar program. I get them through CED, not sure what wholesalers you have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Has anyone replaced their tubes with LEDs? Were they direct replacement or require wiring changes? Most important! Are they brighter?

I belive both direct replacement as well as rewire kind are available.  I have done both. Yes they are brighter. Pay attention to the lumens and ratings daylight soft white ect. I find some leds can be harsh and bother my eyes if wrong type in wrong setting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to the ones where the ballast is removed and rewired to 110V.

A simple job.

Menard's specials.

They come on instantly at -30 but occasionally one will flash on/off when it is really cold.

I kind of do the same thing at that temp?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Thanks, I found the YouTube video, couldn't be easier!

Next burn out will get one.

Make sure you properly recycle them. We don’t need any more ground water contamination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wi Ih said:

Make sure you properly recycle them. We don’t need any more ground water contamination.

Our recycle station has an area specifically for tubes, also ACs, fridges, computers, TVs, etc., but not for oil, which I haul to a friends shop; he's got a waste oil burner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Our recycle station has an area specifically for tubes, also ACs, fridges, computers, TVs, etc., but not for oil, which I haul to a friends shop; he's got a waste oil burner.

Ours does, too.  But they would not accept more than 30 flourecent bulbs per month from a business...so I made disposal a monthly habit for about 18 months.  I could have cheated, but didn't since I was literally driving past anyway.

The savings from LEDs was significant and measureable on each month's electric bill.  Add the additional brightness, the power company's incentive, and lower maintenance of bulb cleaning, I really don't see a downside to LEDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I really don't see a downside to LEDs.

Me neither but I didn't always feel quite that way:

About a dozen years ago one of our planes was in for a big inspection and interior refurb. In the process they changed the overhead florescent lamps to LED. When picking up the plane I was sitting in the plane on external power with the mechanic and the facility rep going over the work that had been done. A smell and a little smoke appeared as one of the new LED strips started to arc! Needless to say I wasn't impressed and was about to demand they be removed when it was discovered that it had been bent on installation. The mechanic who did the installation owned up to it and was disciplined/re-trained. He'd recently moved from the shops, maybe cabinet or upholstery.

Anyway, that was the only issue we've ever had and never have replaced any LED. Even the navigation, ice, and logo lights are LED. The latest planes have flashing white LEDs instead of strobe lights. My Cessna has LED landing and taxi lights. I put them on because the incandescent lamps burn out in just a few hours; I leave the LEDs on all the time.

They've come a long way from the LED watches you had to push the button to see the time!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting ready to permanently wire the lights in the new wood shop. I plan on using VTfireman's recommendation of a few months ago ie. $1.00 octagon box, $1.50 single bulb cover and a 100w LED bulb (bigger bulbs if I can find them). cut a stick of conduit in half, that would put them every 5'. Building ceiling is 16x40, that would put a 8 bulbs 2' from the wall on each side and then probably some down the center for good measure. You can't have to much light.  Oh yeah, must be 'daylight' bulbs. They are the only ones I buy anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I'm getting ready to permanently wire the lights in the new wood shop. I plan on using VTfireman's recommendation of a few months ago ie. $1.00 octagon box, $1.50 single bulb cover and a 100w LED bulb (bigger bulbs if I can find them). cut a stick of conduit in half, that would put them every 5'. Building ceiling is 16x40, that would put a 8 bulbs 2' from the wall on each side and then probably some down the center for good measure. You can't have to much light.  Oh yeah, must be 'daylight' bulbs. They are the only ones I buy anymore.

When we lay out lighting we measure the area to be lit and decide how many lights we want. So say you have a 20’ length and you want 4  lights in 20’ so divide 8/20’ that puts the first light at 2.5’ off the wall the next at 7.5 the third at 12.5 the 4th at 17.5  and land you 2.5’ off the opposite wall. Each light provides essentially a cone of light (not so much without reflector bulbs) and this method provides the most even lighting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dads706 said:

I'm getting ready to permanently wire the lights in the new wood shop. I plan on using VTfireman's recommendation of a few months ago ie. $1.00 octagon box, $1.50 single bulb cover and a 100w LED bulb (bigger bulbs if I can find them). cut a stick of conduit in half, that would put them every 5'. Building ceiling is 16x40, that would put a 8 bulbs 2' from the wall on each side and then probably some down the center for good measure. You can't have to much light.  Oh yeah, must be 'daylight' bulbs. They are the only ones I buy anymore.

I have heard good things about these and dont need as many light sockets.

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/gt-lite-reg-750w-equivalent-4-panel-daylight-led-light-bulb/gt-bu-g150/p-5239772154501472-c-7482.htm?tid=-6543628416011869422&ipos=5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Wolfraider said:

I have heard good things about these and dont need as many light sockets.

Thanks Wolf, I may try a couple of those over the work bench or the saw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 9:09 AM, vtfireman85 said:

@New Englander I just corrected the part number. In VT there is a 10 dollar rebate if you can justify them as commercial. NH might have a similar program. I get them through CED, not sure what wholesalers you have. 

Can you link the bulb link please?  Search did not come up even with corrected PN.

Thanks,

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 460 said:

Can you link the bulb link please?  Search did not come up even with corrected PN.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

This is what I found:https://www.prolighting.com/rks2440-5.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 460 said:

Can you link the bulb link please?  Search did not come up even with corrected PN.

Thanks,

Scott

https://optilumen.com/led-retrofit-products/premium-linear-retrofit/

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest problem I have found with LED's is getting the same replacement.

And yes, they will quit on you once in awhile. Made in China you know.

I usually cut out the name and parts #'s from the light boxes and thumb tack it someplace so I can find it when needed.

Otherwise you come home with a new one, put it in, and it is a different Lumen output and it shows.

Or it is soft white rather than bright white, etc., etc..

Way to many choices?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...