Deadbolts with registered keys..

vtfireman85

I have a friend with a situation, and they could benefit from the inability to duplicate keys. As in they have theirs.. and no one else has the other, and someone couldn’t Take the one key and make another. 
ive never seen them on residential doors, how does one go about ordering them. Would like 2 keyed alike . Any advice? 

27 minutes ago, mark60 said:

could they use a  keyless code lock

I suggested that, it wouldn’t work i was told.  Personally am in favor of a 12 ga

Locksmith, I got a couple locks and keys the same years ago from our in house locksmith with the DND stamp, he had pulled them from the jail remand center and was told to destroy but felt they were too good for that.

• Confused 1

Medeco locks are what are standard on our aircraft. I even installed them on my Cessna as the OEM locks are about as effective as a gate latch.

As far as I know only the manufacturer can provide a duplicate key.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Locksmith, I got a couple locks and keys the same years ago from our in house locksmith with the DND stamp, he had pulled them from the jail remand center and was told to destroy but felt they were too good for that.

That's funny, we did a check of old oakalla prison when it closed in '91. We were on the trucks and allowed to look around when everything was gone, I picked up a couple of old master locks and had them rekeyed for use, what did they ever see?

• Like 1

This is kind of a difficult situation, there are immediate next door neighbors, if someone were trying to force entry it would be noisy or obvious. It is as much when no one is there as when they are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

This is kind of a difficult situation, there are immediate next door neighbors, if someone were trying to force entry it would be noisy or obvious. It is as much when no one is there as when they are. 

The door to the water plant is a steel entry door with steel frame. A couple times I have forgotten my keys early in the morning a medium size screwdriver gains entry. At the well sites you can get in the doors also but if they are dead bolted it is different.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, New Englander said:

Medeco locks are what are standard on our aircraft. I even installed them on my Cessna as the OEM locks are about as effective as a gate latch.

As far as I know only the manufacturer can provide a duplicate key.

I remember years ago, in an article on aircraft theft, that it mentioned that you only needed 7 keys to open every Bonanza to that date

1 hour ago, Ian Beale said:

I remember years ago, in an article on aircraft theft, that it mentioned that you only needed 7 keys to open every Bonanza to that date

All Aero Commanders took one key!

When I owned an avionics shop customers would call in a problem that happened at night or on the weekend or just something they wanted repaired or checked. We never had any problem opening and starting any GA airplane with just a handful of keys. Often just the two keys I kept on my ring - my plane and my friends Baron key would do the job. Most twins don't have an ignition lock, just door lock.

When I recently bought my new-to-me 40 year old 182 it had three keys. Now two, one for doors, a Medeco, and the ignition (magneto) switch. Medeco are expensive but secure. No one can get in without breaking something.

Locks keep honest people honest, criminals may just pick an easier target.

• Like 2

A lock set with a c123 (might be cl23) key are great and hard for even a good locksmith to replicate. You must go to a locksmith to duplicate the key...so in essence changing locks to one of those would be about as good as it gets...then never make any copies.

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

A lock set with a c123 (might be cl23) key are great and hard for even a good locksmith to replicate. You must go to a locksmith to duplicate the key...so in essence changing locks to one of those would be about as good as it gets...then never make any copies.

I only intend to give her 1 key. 

I put Medico on our office some year ago when the "bumping" videos surfaced.  They are big, heavy keys and you can only get them duplicated if you have the registration card that came with the lock.  it is like a plastic credit card.  Expensive, but nice. The extra keys can be expensive.  it think it costs $25 to get one made.

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I put Medico on our office some year ago when the "bumping" videos surfaced.  They are big, heavy keys and you can only get them duplicated if you have the registration card that came with the lock.  it is like a plastic credit card.  Expensive, but nice. The extra keys can be expensive.  it think it costs $25 to get one made.

$25. is exactly right. The keys for my plane are just smaller versions of the ones on the jets. There are some hobbyists who buy and pick locks for fun and they have defeated just about everything but in a lab setting, not on the ramp, office or front porch.

23 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have a friend with a situation, and they could benefit from the inability to duplicate keys. As in they have theirs.. and no one else has the other, and someone couldn’t Take the one key and make another. 
ive never seen them on residential doors, how does one go about ordering them. Would like 2 keyed alike . Any advice? 

remove door knob and take to the l/s or call out the locksmith to make another on site which will cost more 

i have rekeyed a couple of the cylinders for a couple doors here and its not a big deal if you have a matching cylinder and other keys to duplicate on the other door then replace the knobs - some come apart w/out taking the knobs off but i found it easier to remove them completely and take to my shop and put on bench. 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

So essentially what i am Getting is that any deadbolt can have registered keys made for it? Is it the cylinder that gets changed?

the pins inside the cylinder is what i did to change mine and get rid of any issues with keys its easy peasy if you watch what you are doing it makes sense