Barn roof side job

drglinski

On saturday my brother and I spent (literally) before sun up to after sun down covering an old barn roof that had some natural unwanted skylights.  We used 15X4 (or 3 foot? I forget) ribbed sheet metal.  The client told us to cover what was left, didn't care much for what it looked like, it just had to shed water.  It was a satisfying project once completed and the weather was amazing for early November in Michigan.  This country boy that lives in the suburbs enjoyed getting back to rural America where I felt like I belong.  

Inkedscaffold 1_LI.jpg

Inkedfinished roof_LI.jpg

Inkedding dong on roof_LI.jpg

Inkedfinished roof_LI2.jpg

roof outhouse.jpg

barn front.jpg

idiot weather vane 2.jpg

idiot weather vane.jpg

• Like 13

23 hours ago, arizonian said:

Good on ya! Once the roof fails, the rest is not far behind.

I did run across this old schoolhouse last Sunday. Concrete doesn't care abut weather. Not much left but the walls.

IMG_2782.JPG

Kinda looks like a church the way the photo was taken. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, Rainman said:

Cool,what was the barns original use? Granary...

Not really sure honestly.  The farm it was on hasn't been occupied by a tenant since probably the 50s.  

On 11/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, Rainman said:

Cool,what was the barns original use? Granary...

Yeah the original use was a granary.  Has a bunch of old waterlogged fertilizer in it now.  That's gonna be a fun job for someone to remove.   

Ps.  I'm the guy on the roof. It was a long hard day of work but it was nice to stand back and look at what we accomplished.  

Chris 

• Like 1

Roof is the best part now! Good looking job. You've saved it.

It's been sad watching barns fall in NH. Once the roof fails the rest is shortly behind. There was a huge barn a few miles down the road that I admired years ago when we bought our place. Nice house and barn overlooking Great Bay on a hill. Sadly the barn is now just a cellar hole full of beams. Driving past was a time lapse with a little bit more gone every few months.