5288 sentry bypass/test harness

Farming Enthusiast

I was reading archived posts on RPF and ran into a topic about these bypass harnesses that are being put into these tractors and remembered my dad saying that he had one put in his 5288 in 2017. I asked him about it the other day and sure enough I remembered correctly. He was told at the time that it's a safe alternative to a sentry and put it in because it was much cheaper than a new or rebuilt sentry. He asked his mechanic about it and he said he didn't know of any danger but he'd look into it. He also said he didn't think a person can get a sentry anymore. My question is, how safe of an alternative is a bypass and where can a guy get a new sentry or get one rebuilt. On the invoice the part number and description  was: 830615 Sentry Test Tool. It doesnt show a brand. He's put 600 hours on it with this bypass

• Like 1

Yes the Sentry module is still available from Case IH. It is part number 1252680C4. The cost for this is $2745. Another alternative to this is the aftermarket Sentry that Triple R Tractors sells. The cost from Mike is $1550. Rebuilding your tractor after a catastrophic failure will be much more money than either the CIH sentry or the one from Triple R. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d definitely get a sentry from Mike Links.

I have a test harness in my shop, but it’s only there for diagnosing, and to get the tractor home if a sentry fails in the field.

I’m sure someone else will chime in soon to persuade you in the other direction……..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of those "Test" harnesses (not "bypass" harness!) being run out there.

Until CaseIH can manufacture a Sentry module that is worth a damn and will last, I won't blame anyone for running one.

That $2745 for a Sentry that doesn't last will go a long way towards repairs. 

What do I recommend? You do what's best for you and your pocketbook.

What would I do? I just don't own a 50 series tractor. Sure, they're some of the best looking tractors that IH made, but totally overrated, imo.

Travis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hippy5488 said:

with out the sentry  module in place there is a possibilty of two clutch [packs being engaged at the same time. if that happens the sentry module will look real cheap compared to what it will cost to fix tranny

I’ve fixed a few that fried the clutches most had sentry in them tranny is bad to do and doesn’t cost a lot as long as they don’t just keep running it  the weirdest on I’ve had was a sentry that would try to engage to other gear that it wasn’t in for a split second on and off had two gauges in and it would make one jump up and down other was steady put a test harness in problem went away

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I’ve fixed a few that fried the clutches most had sentry in them tranny is bad to do and doesn’t cost a lot as long as they don’t just keep running it  the weirdest on I’ve had was a sentry that would try to engage to other gear that it wasn’t in for a split second on and off had two gauges in and it would make one jump up and down other was steady put a test harness in problem went away

I'm not sure who to go with then. I'm leaning towards getting a new after market sentry from Triple R Tractors mostly because on Redrunrites website they say their test harnesses aren't made to be installed permanently. They're meant to be a testing tool

I'll throw another question into the mix. How much does it reduce the danger of having the ps clutches lock up if you use the main clutch to shift every time? Will the extra time give the ps clutches a better chance at releasing and engaging correctly? This tractor is mainly a tillage tractor and only runs in one gear pretty much all day. Especially since we found out about this test harness issue. 

16 hours ago, Farmer in training said:

I was reading archived posts on RPF and ran into a topic about these bypass harnesses that are being put into these tractors and remembered my dad saying that he had one put in his 5288 in 2017. I asked him about it the other day and sure enough I remembered correctly. He was told at the time that it's a safe alternative to a sentry and put it in because it was much cheaper than a new or rebuilt sentry. He asked his mechanic about it and he said he didn't know of any danger but he'd look into it. He also said he didn't think a person can get a sentry anymore. My question is, how safe of an alternative is a bypass and where can a guy get a new sentry or get one rebuilt. On the invoice the part number and description  was: 830615 Sentry Test Tool. It doesnt show a brand. He's put 600 hours on it with this bypass

Read this, the sentry is there for far more important reasons than protecting the clutch packs. As much a safety issue as an operational issue.

image.png.b6beb28ebeec8058d7abeeea5c302726.png

7 hours ago, Farmer in training said:

I'll throw another question into the mix. How much does it reduce the danger of having the ps clutches lock up if you use the main clutch to shift every time? Will the extra time give the ps clutches a better chance at releasing and engaging correctly? This tractor is mainly a tillage tractor and only runs in one gear pretty much all day. Especially since we found out about this test harness issue. 

The system is designed to be shifted under load. If all is functioning properly there is a slight overlap where the off going clutch still has some pressure in it's circuit while the on coming clutch is started to apply. This is why there is a bit of delay between moving the shift lever and the actual shift taking place. With the "test harness" in pace it just bangs the pressure to the on coming clutch even if the pressure to the off going clutch hasn't decayed.

the main things to do to increase reliability is to rewire the sentry supply power as outlined in service bulletin S-4841 option 2, and to rework the sentry ground especially if it is one of the units where the sentry ground was incorporated in a relay mounted in the lower right corner of the electrical compartment.  Adjusting the regulated pressure to 270-290 psi will also help the system function better.

image.thumb.png.09b49e1e90e76dc4e48c6ff2cd827b20.pngimage.thumb.png.5f2e010fa6d11cbd2884c0f85f269227.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You would think that if the Sentry were not necessary, IH would not have manufactured the tractors with the sentry module in the first place. Further, IH would not continue to supply Sentry modules as replacement parts. They would simply sell you a test harness and tell you that it's the same thing, perfectly safe.

Before you get on your "money grab" high horse, think for a second. CNH has much more efficient ways to soak the customer base for parts money than the half dozen sentry modules they sell in a year. It probably costs them more to keep the modules on hand than they make from selling them. They would make far more selling the parts it takes to repair the damage caused by running a test harness, yet (at least some) of those parts can no longer be had from the dealer.

I will also say I have never owned a 50 series, and probably never will unless someone gives me one. However if Sparky's opinion is valid, then mine is as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I will also say I have never owned a 50 series, and probably never will unless someone gives me one. However if Sparky's opinion is valid, then mine is as well.

when mine breaks i can have you and sparky fix it for me - im sure it will in time cause the clock is ticking and nothing lasts forever I know exactly how much time it will have on it when it does regarding hours and yrs since I have owned it. 

per mike at mines age 9K plus hours its been into because the 88 rearends wont go that long with their issues out the gate.

there are things I like about it compared to what I had previously but i know there are better options. Not knocking them but it is the most modern/priced thing I could find at the the time for my situation and dad. 

I would rather have a TRUE powershift but I know they come with their issues too. It really is just like driving a tractor with a T/A you only get and up/down shift nothing more, still have to change gears all the time. 

IMG_20190512_103229.thumb.jpg.f8f32f5eb7649ac0fe7b410ff43c5783.jpgIMG_20210811_153258_5.thumb.jpg.05696911df120da9779da9682266b9e6.jpg

From left to right first is what a normal sentry looks like second is the test harness third is the new one Mike is selling the first one is a rebuilt one he sold before. When we got the first of our 50 series we had a sentry die within a couple months, we didn't know much about them talked with the seller and figured out the sentry was shot saw how much a new one was going to be and went with a test harness, maybe got a year out of it and it killed the transmission, after that we have stuck with sentry's. They're our plenty running with and without but it's kinda like a seatbelt you may never need it but if you ever do it's nice you got it on. I can only remember one other sentry going bad and it had at least 6000 hours we put on it. When Mike put the new ones up for sale I got one put it a week after i got it and up until this week it ran 6 or 7 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week and works great. As far as shifting with the clutch goes thats a great idea for down shifting doing light work or road travel because that was the number 1 problem for us for a long time people wanting to slap them down a gear coming to a turn or stop and it will show you what the insides are made of in your filters

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everybody for your valuable input. You might very well be helping to save my dads 5288. Now I am wondering if we get a sentry from Triple R Tractors if it's safe for a guy like myself with limited mechanical skills to put it in safely. It looks like just a few electrical connections but are there tests that I can do after it's in to make sure it's working properly so I don't wreck the tractor?!

7 hours ago, Farmer in training said:

Thanks everybody for your valuable input. You might very well be helping to save my dads 5288. Now I am wondering if we get a sentry from Triple R Tractors if it's safe for a guy like myself with limited mechanical skills to put it in safely. It looks like just a few electrical connections but are there tests that I can do after it's in to make sure it's working properly so I don't wreck the tractor?!

Disconnect the batteries first before you start unplugging the Sentry. I fried the data center when I was swapping the Sentry and the test harness when I was testing it. I changed the Sentry ground after that happened. Not saying it will happen to you, but better safe than sorry.

• Thanks 1

We've got a 5088 with 88xx hours on it, had the test harness in it when we bought it 17 years ago. 

ONCE when dad was chisel plowing years ago he slapped the shifter and it lugged hard, it tried to engage 2 gears, he quickly caught it and down shifted again.  It's never done it since then.

We put 150 hours a year on it now planting, spraying,  pulling wagons.

6 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

We've got a 5088 with 88xx hours on it, had the test harness in it when we bought it 17 years ago. 

ONCE when dad was chisel plowing years ago he slapped the shifter and it lugged hard, it tried to engage 2 gears, he quickly caught it and down shifted again.  It's never done it since then.

We put 150 hours a year on it now planting, spraying,  pulling wagons.

Thanks. It sounds like it's a difference in opinions as far as being cautious and putting in a sentry or going with what works. From what I've seen on here especially with the service bulletins sent from CaseIH to its dealers in 1992. I recommended to my dad to replace it. But it is his tractor and he seams a little reluctant to replace it. But this is a guy who to my knowledge hasn't spent more than $3000 on a piece of heavy tillage equipment either,  so the cost of it is the biggest issue. That being said, it does make me feel better to know that the test harness has worked for some. His mechanic who installed it told him he doesn't know of anybody that has had trouble with them and he's got a handful out there that he's installed,  so that's another factor in my dads thinking 

We put on a few harnesses years ago when they were advertised as a replacement for the Sentry, rather than a “test harness”. 

No transmission failures so far.  My customers still own and regularly use the tractors. One 5088 has had the bypass harness on it since 1997 (24 year) YMMV. 

All I can do at this time is tell you 30yrs expierence with these tractor.  Never not once have I had a module smoke a trans. A test harness will eat the trans.  Outta 10 tractors that come here for transmissions 8 are because of test harnesses.  Matter a fact poor guy called me today with his trans destroyed.  He just bought the tractor unknown to him they installed a test harness and guess what 20 hrs of owning it its smoked.  We have beat this horse to death.  You will have those that get lucky with them. Im not one of them.  And as pictured most wont get away with it.  I now have new modules for $1550.  They now have led flash codes to help trouble shoot issues.  Why chance blowing up a perfectly good trans with a test harness.  

Mike

20181129_150722.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

All I can do at this time is tell you 30yrs expierence with these tractor.  Never not once have I had a module smoke a trans. A test harness will eat the trans.  Outta 10 tractors that come here for transmissions 8 are because of test harnesses.  Matter a fact poor guy called me today with his trans destroyed.  He just bought the tractor unknown to him they installed a test harness and guess what 20 hrs of owning it its smoked.  We have beat this horse to death.  You will have those that get lucky with them. Im not one of them.  And as pictured most wont get away with it.  I now have new modules for $1550.  They now have led flash codes to help trouble shoot issues.  Why chance blowing up a perfectly good trans with a test harness.  

Mike

20181129_150722.jpg

Thanks again for your help and interest. I have been trying to convince my dad to replace the test harness. He seams to think that if he uses the main clutch every time he shifts that he can get by that way. In his mind he's only gonna farm a few years. I'm interested in the tractor because I'll use it if I take the farm over and I don't wanna see a piece of history pretty get wrecked.  I assume this is Mike Links?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

Thanks again for your help and interest. I have been trying to convince my dad to replace the test harness. He seams to think that if he uses the main clutch every time he shifts that he can get by that way. In his mind he's only gonna farm a few years. I'm interested in the tractor because I'll use it if I take the farm over and I don't wanna see a piece of history pretty get wrecked.  I assume this is Mike Links?

yes Mike Links

So that is the other problem with the test harnesses.  They do not disengage the speed trans when clutch is depressed like the module does.  When you depress clutch pedal with module you are mechanically releasing the master clutch and electrically releasing the speed trans.   with the test harness you are only releasing the master clutch.  That said what he is doing will help because he is releasing the load but it can still happen because the speed trans is still turning

Mike

4 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

yes Mike Links

So that is the other problem with the test harnesses.  They do not disengage the speed trans when clutch is depressed like the module does.  When you depress clutch pedal with module you are mechanically releasing the master clutch and electrically releasing the speed trans.   with the test harness you are only releasing the master clutch.  That said what he is doing will help because he is releasing the load but it can still happen because the speed trans is still turning

Mike

Thanks, I'll let him know. All the info I get from you guys is very helpful. Did you work for IH back in the day, or how did you get started rebuilding and making parts?

3 minutes ago, Farmer in training said:

Thanks, I'll let him know. All the info I get from you guys is very helpful. Did you work for IH back in the day, or how did you get started rebuilding and making parts?

Been doing it for 30yrs.  Started at a dealer was there for 24yrs ish.  while working there I started redoing tractors for extra money.  2007 built my own shop worked night and day to try and make my own business go.  they closed the shop i worked at 6 years ago.  and its been great for me.  the business has grown every year.  I never intended on doing the parts thing its just the road i was lead down by demand.  Thanks to all the folks here and helping people on facebook the parts are now 75% of my business.  Which is easier on me now at almost 50.  I help people everyday over the phone, emails and text messages and truly enjoy it.  I dont hesitate to help them and they always come back to buy the parts from me and I couldnt be more greatful for everyone.  I now today have just over 5000 customers worldwide.  Thats my story LOL

Mike

• Like 6