1486 200hp+ how?

Craigger13

28 minutes ago, Craigger13 said:

Looking to turn up our 1486 for chopping. Looking for 200hp+. What's needed? I'm thinking 3lm or s2e turbo. Possibly aftermarket water to air intercooler. Larger radiator? And I heard at 1 time there was a high flow water pump? Also looking for a high flow hitch pump

PTO won't handle that hp you'll fry it

• Like 1

Our 1486 would not stay cool, even with a larger radiator and OE HP.     If you add the larger turbo, get an intercooler off a 4386, or some such,  and only run when its below 40....maybe.....   

• Haha 1

PTO will last for some time, not as long as lower power but if it's right it'll last awhile. At 200 hp you might find the next weakest link, ipto gear or upper ipto shaft likely, or rivets in pressure plate.    Chopper shouldn't be a start-stop operation to slip it excessively and should be a fairly even feeding. 

If you tear up the lower PTO gear there is a heavier duty than OE gear available.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

PTO will last for some time, not as long as lower power but if it's right it'll last awhile. At 200 hp you might find the next weakest link, ipto gear or upper ipto shaft likely, or rivets in pressure plate.    Chopper shouldn't be a start-stop operation to slip it excessively and should be a fairly even feeding. 

If you tear up the lower PTO gear there is a heavier duty than OE gear available.

The PTO unit will be the first to give up the ghost with that kind of HP that is the weakest link I've never had problems with the Ipto shaft gears bearings on the drive side always the pto unit itself and God forbid if its PPH hydraulics that is another weak spot you'll be breaking the pump driven gear off also ,Hope you know what your doing 

5 hours ago, Craigger13 said:

Ok so what would u guys say is a safer power range to be in?

I don't know what type of chopper your using but I can't imagine one needing 200 HP Leave the tractor at 145 you'll use less fuel and won't be tearing things up

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

PTO will last ok if you have the pressure up to maximum pressure on the clutches. 

6 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

The PTO unit will be the first to give up the ghost with that kind of HP that is the weakest link I've never had problems with the Ipto shaft gears bearings on the drive side always the pto unit itself and God forbid if its PPH hydraulics that is another weak spot you'll be breaking the pump driven gear off also ,Hope you know what your doing 

The pto is certainly not going to transfer 200 hp as there is going to be 50 some hp used to drag the chopper and wagon possibly more depending on field conditions

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Ipto shaft and gear are semi common occurrences in this pocket of the country on stock/stock+  tractors. At 200 hp you'll find weak links and it will not be the PTO every time unless someone isn't doing something correctly. It will have less life but isn't like you should be replacing them every week. Pressure will be critical. 

More then a few of them within an hour radius that are used hard on PTO applications with over 200 horse. Ones closer to 250 pulling a 3 row NH chopper.

I'm not sure what chopper the poster is wanting to pull buy  trying to chop with 145 horse is going to be like digging to China with a shovel. It's better than a spoon, but won't be getting anywhere fast.    Any pt chopper that is built today (not many) is built for 250-300hp. Older smaller models won't need that much power but 200 would be nice to chop and not be running out of power with a full wagon up a hill. Corn will take more power then hay especially if the chopper has a processor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

Ipto shaft and gear are semi common occurrences in this pocket of the country on stock/stock+  tractors. At 200 hp you'll find weak links and it will not be the PTO every time unless someone isn't doing something correctly. It will have less life but isn't like you should be replacing them every week. Pressure will be critical. 

More then a few of them within an hour radius that are used hard on PTO applications with over 200 horse. Ones closer to 250 pulling a 3 row NH chopper.

I'm not sure what chopper the poster is wanting to pull buy  trying to chop with 145 horse is going to be like digging to China with a shovel. It's better than a spoon, but won't be getting anywhere fast.    Any pt chopper that is built today (not many) is built for 250-300hp. Older smaller models won't need that much power but 200 would be nice to chop and not be running out of power with a full wagon up a hill. Corn will take more power then hay especially if the chopper has a processor. 

I've had issues with two PTO units one on a 1066 using a silage chopper the other on a 1086 running a tub grinder both had problems and let out smoke the tractors were stock HP Never ever torn out drive train for the PTO only other problems were breaking pump shafts off or teeth on the pumps Only tractor I had that would handle the  tub grinder was a 4640 JD

I know them Deeres are usually pretty stout in the PTO but the only tractor we've had repeated problems with on the Fieldline blower was a 4630...three PTO shafts later it got a new job. Blower shaft straight and tractor shaft straight, no binding etc and never gave trouble on other tractors before or since but it just didn't work with that one. That's small 1000, I assume a 40 with big 1000 would be fine.

Our 3588 2+2 is pushing 190 hp without issue right now but I think they have a heavier pto drive line than the 86 series. We had to change the drive line when we swapped our 3388 rearend for one from a 1086. We run a New Holland FP240 with our 2+2 one thing to remember once in the field leave the pto running do not stop and start unless absolutely necessary, or you will go through pto clutches, after we figured this out we have not put a clutch in it since. I think it has been 4 or 5 years since we did a pto job on her.

• Like 1

I guess I'm missing something here , Ok 200+ HP now what are you doing to the tractor when that power gets to the ground ? Are you needing the extra power or not ? And when you do need it how long is that old rear end or other drive train parts going to stand up? That's my Question .

This is being used to pull a new Holland 900 chopper chopping forage sorghum that's been laid down with a discbine. We did it this year in low 1st and still had places where she brought her to her knees. Don't necessarily care of we go any faster would just like to not worry about plugging/killing it.

28 minutes ago, Craigger13 said:

This is being used to pull a new Holland 900 chopper chopping forage sorghum that's been laid down with a discbine. We did it this year in low 1st and still had places where she brought her to her knees. Don't necessarily care of we go any faster would just like to not worry about plugging/killing it.

On a NH 900 in my experience the problem with throughput is the auger between the cutterhead and blower. We bought one new and ran it on an ac 8050 and then eventually an 8950 Magnum. It really didn't have more capacity on the 8950 because the auger was the bottleneck. Dion 1224 was different than that as more hp was more capacity. I think the 900 was only rated 150 hp input

7 hours ago, Craigger13 said:

We did it this year in low 1st and still had places where she brought her to her knees.

After reading this I would make the suggestion to get it on a dyno and see where its at right now.

Here on farm we have a NH 900 3 row corn head w/ KP. Tractors used in front of it are (a) White 120 or (b) MX135 both tractors making about 170-180 HP out of Cummins 5.9 engines and get along great. The White certainly has a heavier drive line and handles it better than the MX135. 

• Like 1

We never had pto clutch issues but we did snap off the bolts and dowel pin that held the stub.shaft to the pto unit. I did a lot of chopping with a 3588 that was.set at about 180 or 190 and gehl choppers which In my opinion have slightly better crop flow.  In sorghum there were times the feed rolls were maxed out but the chopper kept taking it. 1st gear sounds about right and there are still times that I needed to be on the clutch. We cut with a 16 foot haybine but usually hugged the previous windrow to take a smaller cut. Sorghum can definitely be a challenge.

just get a claas and do customer work to pay for it - neighbor here did just that, no one has one within 250 miles either direction supposedly - he has cattle and a huge pit, they used to run dairy cattle not sure if the still do or not havent been by there in a couple yrs but i know he cuts for our other neighbor with the claas

I have seen a lot of 14's set at 200 and they are usually a ticking time bomb.

The PTO and gearing all the way to the clutch is where the bomb usually goes off. 

When the big gear under the clutch explodes, that is a partial second split to replace.

Most of the ones I seen were on tub grinders.

My uncle had a PTO overhaul kit on the dash of his pickup and even mounted a pressure gauge in the back corner of his cab.

Your chopper will be close but won't have the hard power needs like a grinder hitting a slug.

My advice would be to buy a 220 HP tractor also.

Or find some way of making smaller windrows.

If you try this on the 14, you will either get to know your wrenches, very well, or it will be in the shop.

And normally when you need it the most.

• Like 1

Have you had the tractor on a dyno or do you know how much horsepower it has. Also, how often do you sharpen the knives on the chopper.

• Like 1