My Last Project

I have many projects, including a 2001 Gillig bus (short 30 foot powered by a Cummins ISC 8.3 ) we are converting into an RV.  A 3-71 Detroit boat motor waiting for the hull to carry it in. a 464 IH mower tractor and a 73 Dodge Dart powered by a 375 HP 440. None are completed, but every year I rotate their priority.  I just tuned up the 440. Engine (big cam) sounds good!  Mopar did not pass inspection because the passenger side windshield wiper does not operate. Little plastic button in the wiper arm broke again, has a life of about 10 years.  Nothing is completed BUT not abandoned either.

Keep us posted.

Good luck with your projects.  

• Like 1

On the powerglide just above the shift lever is a little fitting that does what goes where? I can't find out on the internet, do any of you know? Going to start making new steel lines for the transmission this week so I'd like to know.

002.JPG

The engine is ready to start as soon as I get the hoses. I made a wire shape of what the hoses should be, so I'll go to the auto parts store and see if I can make something do.

Here a couple more pics.  I made a hard board mock up of the operators platform to see if it looks okay.

my last project 001.JPG

my last project 003.JPG

my last project 002.JPG

• Like 3

Yesterday was the day to see the engine run ! So I cranked it over several times and had good oil pressure 40# . Okay, time to fire her up, popped right off, ran 2 seconds and died ! Wouldn't restart or crank over at all ! So I put a bar on the pulley and she's locked up tight ! YEOW !!!!! Big job today GRRRRRR # && ***.

• Sad 2

I pulled the engine and put it on the stand, took the pan off, loosened the mains one at a time. Still could not turn the crank ! Loosened the rods one at a time, still couldn't turn the crank ! What the HECK !!!!  Pulled the main caps off raised the crank up a bit to unmesh the gears so I could turn the cam. It turns okay. Lowered the crank back in place put caps back on just finger tight, now I can turn it with a bar in the ring gear teeth but it creeks as it moves with two less tight spots per revolution ! It acts as though the wrist pins are too tight in the pistons ! When I got this engine it was locked up. When I took it apart the rods would not move in the pistons. The pins are shrink fit on the rods and supposed to be loose in the pistons. Now they seem to be tight in the pistons. Thet weren't when I assembled them ! What happened?

It's a mystery to me also as to how they get oiled ! There is no spit hole on the rods only through the caps which point toward the cam. When I got this engine all four rods were locked up in the pistons.