Finally got to plow!

billonthefarm

Great pictures. Looks like fun

• Like 1

Tried to read your gauges.

900* exhaust and 190* water?

On 11/7/2021 at 9:13 PM, billonthefarm said:

Opened the windows so I could smell the dirt and listen to the stalks!

That would have been my choice too.  I ran Dad's '75 1066 a fair amount pulling 6-16s.  Loved to run at night with at least one side window open.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any information on the fuel tanks on your 15?  I also have them on one of my 1566’s. I was figuring they were aftermarket, but was wondering what company made them. I read somewhere that someone thought Year A Round made them. Any thoughts???

36 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Yet again I have soil envy. Coupled with some tractor envy..

Pretty good lookin' dirt huh? Frank, I'm right with ya! Bet it was a ton of fun plowing that day.

My plows are put away for the year as of yesterday. Now if an opportunity comes along they wouldn't be too hard to get back out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1566Hog said:

Do you have any information on the fuel tanks on your 15?  I also have them on one of my 1566’s. I was figuring they were aftermarket, but was wondering what company made them. I read somewhere that someone thought Year A Round made them. Any thoughts???

They were made by Year A Round corporation.  The cab company.  They hold 100 gallon.  50 each side.  There is a small electric pump to transfer fuel up to the main tank.  Makes it’s awful nice instead of running for fuel every 4 hours!  

43 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Pretty good lookin' dirt huh? Frank, I'm right with ya! Bet it was a ton of fun plowing that day.

My plows are put away for the year as of yesterday. Now if an opportunity comes along they wouldn't be too hard to get back out.

Mine is backed in the shed but still hooked to the tractor!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billonthefarm said:

Mine is backed in the shed but still hooked to the tractor!

The dirt isn't frozen here yet!

I've got a neighbor that talks about having me plow up some sod for him every year, wish he'd get off the pot!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT Fan said:

The dirt isn't frozen here yet!

Here either.  I finished up with the chisel in the dark last night.  It will be froze in the morning but the weather looks good next week.  Just got to find a place to plow!

I’ve never plowed with a semi-mount but was a little surprised seeing the full sets of weights on the front of a couple of these tractors. I’m thinking the plow on the 5010 is a trailing type. Just wondering what others are doing with front weights when using a semi-mounted plow.

23 minutes ago, John Rowehl said:

I’ve never plowed with a semi-mount but was a little surprised seeing the full sets of weights on the front of a couple of these tractors. I’m thinking the plow on the 5010 is a trailing type. Just wondering what others are doing with front weights when using a semi-mounted plow.

John, I've only plowed with a semi-mount once. About a month ago, wish I had taken time to hang a half dozen hundred pounders on the 7! Had the front end in the air a couple of times.

Those tractors probably had the weights on them before the plows were mounted.

10 hours ago, John Rowehl said:

I run all 12 weights on my 1566 when plowing.  When I plow with my 1066 and 5 bottom sometimes I only run 10 weights but if there are 12 handy I run all 12 on it as well.  So the simple answer is the weight is needed and generally the more the better!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John Rowehl said:

We had bought a 1466 one year and a neighbor talked my Dad and Brother into a 5 bottom 720 20 inch bottom plow. First time that plow hit the ground in a three year old sod filed all a person saw was sky. Just not enough weight to hold it down. The four bottom plows where a good match for the hills and old sod ground.

On 11/26/2021 at 7:48 AM, John Rowehl said:

Unlike a pull type, a semi-mounted uses the lower arms of the three point so in a hard pull the draft control transfers weight and tries to bring the front end up.  Especially if you're in any kind of hills, or have gumbo or a lot of clay.

Looks beautiful as always! Would love to plow something again once. Sure wish we were closer. 

P.S. I am NOT a JD fan at all, but that is a nice 4455. I give him an A for the chrome pipe, even though all the JD guys say they are so loud in the cab. Hmmm, guess they should have got an 86 or an 88.🙂

Also remember half of the total weight of the plow is on the 3 pt......not that they are that heavy, but between draft load and just general 3pt weight......suitcase weights are very helpful.