Tractor of the week # 31 574

INTERNATIONAL 1466

This week we are looking at the 574. While not quite the icon as say a 1066, these little tractors served a useful purpose on many farms. I cannot remember seeing one on a midwest farm without a loader on it. I am sure there were some, but loader tractors were the primary use of these handy little outfits. Does anyone still have a 574 in use on their farm? Let's see some in action and being shown off. How many of these do you have in your picture archives Sledge?🙂

images.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Had one.  Somewhere I have pics of it but not sure where.  I still have the angled weight bracket that bolts on to that front cast starter weight.  It is not the same bracket as the larger tractors.  I should have kept it.  Sent it down the road after I bought a 656 and 75c.  I remember that platform getting good and toasty raking hay on a hot day.

They were real popular scraping tractors on dairies here before skid loaders took over.   

Dad bought a new gasser with a Dunham-Lehr loader off the local IH dealer in ‘78. It had been on the lot for a couple of years, I’m assuming because it was gas. Dad bought a farm with a feed lot and needed a loader. It took over pulling a 13’ cultimulcher and the 510 drill. Ran augers and I think he used it on the feed grinder too. I don’t think I have any pictures of it though. I definitely remember the under slung exhaust getting your foot hot!!

• Like 2

The dairy farm I worked at had one for years. It did everything from pulling the grain drill, unloading forage wagons, raking hay and other odd jobs. There was a loader for it but we seldom used it because we had other tractors that were better suited for loader work. With its low stance it was a really good brush hog tractor.

One of the bosses sons got his jacket caught on the gear shift once while climbing off and nearly got ran over when he pulled it into gear. The tractor left shortly after that.

5 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

One of the bosses sons got his jacket caught on the gear shift once while climbing off and nearly got ran over when he pulled it into gear. The tractor left shortly after that.

Very real hazard with the only Neutral on the range lever and nice big shift handle to hook on.

The H shift pattern on the 84 series and later had two neutrals. On H pattern tractor safest is to lever range lever in R and speed in N when dismounting. 

If you used the speed lever neutral coat hooking the range lever wasn't an issue. Oddly though the 84/85 series had N printed on both knobs, but the 95 series and later only had the N printed on the speed lever knob. 

• Like 1

My very first tractor I bought to farm with.Dad had all the row crop and big tractors .This was the first utility one on dad's farm then it was my best,newest tractor on my small dairy farm when I started out, only other one was a M.That little tractor mowed hay,pulled a baler,square and round (IH241),pulled a one row chopper, sat on the blower when it had to ,pulled a 3 14" trailer plow,disced,planted corn,wheat and alfalfa. Pulled a little manure spreader  and then toward the end of its life on my farm and Dunham loader mounted on it.Pound for pound would pull its guts out and work.Rebuilt the motor once due to a head gasket issue and scored some pistons and one clutch. Tough,fuel efficient little tractor. Wish I never sold it.

• Like 2

Don't have any pictures but Dad bought one new, basically lived on a 5 x 12 Kelly Ryan feed wagon,  traded a JD 2030 for it , had fluid in the tires and would plow through mud up to the breather pipe. At the time we were growing light calves and would sell them as feeders, about 2000 head at a time for the 10 years that he owned it, it hauled a lot of feed! That little tractor was handier than a shirt pocket.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A little late to this party, I just signed up to read about why my 574 seems to pop out of 2-low once in a while - now I know the T/A is probably starting to wear out at 3900 engine hours. Sounds like I have a while yet but I'll get the T/A delete kit while they are still available just in case. The rest of the tractor is very good. It is not a show piece, the front tin is a bit banged up from a loader accident many years ago. One loader arm has been welded (you can see the bracing in the picture) and both axle extensions have been welded. I still had to replace one axle extension that had split the weld and redo the alignment. The alignment was so bad, the ribs are pretty much worn off the front tires. She's the do-everything tractor for our hobby farm. I'm the 4th owner but she's lived in a half-mile radius her whole life going from neighbor to neighbor as people retired and I've known all her owners although 2 of them are no longer with us. She's lived inside for all but one year of her life when she sat outside with a burnt clutch 20+ years ago. The previous owner has a trucking company and got his shop guys to do the clutch, injector pump seals and everything else she needed. She's very original except for the welding and wrinkled lower grill tin. I upgraded her lighting to LEDs all around this year since many of the OEMs were burnt out / broken and I need to work after dark. Here's a photo of her before LED lights, hauling a few round bales. She replaced my 624 thanks to her much smaller turning radius, shorter wheelbase and more horsepower but cold starting is not as good so I have to plan ahead for the block heater in winter. She's got the wheel weights, the rear tires are loaded and I put chains on in winter so she can do pretty much everything I need her to and lots of other stuff also. About the only other change I might make is to shorten the exhaust stack a few inches to get under the beams further into the stable in our barn.

IMG_3520.jpg

• Like 2

I have gas one that dad bought new,  haven't used it in a few years. The farm out grew it. I put a used 2200 (i think) loader on it 2 yrs ago be cause I got for almost nothing. I take it for a drive couple times a year. I love the tractor, don't need it, can't part with it . It just sits in the barn.