My favorite rows of corn

Missouri Mule

Finally got dried out enough I thought I'd better slip in the river bottoms and finish the last of my corn. This patch was blasted with water hemp late this year. Gonna have to hit it hard with better spray next year. But I'm all done now. Second one is my boy. He was riding on the heater core on the old gleaner. He says it's his buddy seat. I told him they made it just for him. Amazing the places a kid can sit comfortably. 

20211105_160835.jpg

20211105_160843.jpg

• Like 17

Congratulations I know the feeling you are talking of. Spent 7 summers June to Oct and as late as this one year in a Gleaner MH2 so I know that cab. No real room for a spare adult but kids always find a spot. 

1 hour ago, acem said:

It's always good to be done but I always wish I had more.

×2

I don’t know much about Gleaner, what machine is that? A guy around here bought a new Gleaner last year, it was the first new one I had seen in a long time. There used to be a harvest crew that came through that always ran them, but they went broke 20 years ago. I haven’t hardly seen a Gleaner since. 

3 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I don’t know much about Gleaner, what machine is that? A guy around here bought a new Gleaner last year, it was the first new one I had seen in a long time. There used to be a harvest crew that came through that always ran them, but they went broke 20 years ago. I haven’t hardly seen a Gleaner since. 

They still make them. Mine is an antique. But it gets the job done. I have commented here about looking around for a better one. Despite what some feel I like the gleaners. I'm not in that big of hurry. Wouldn't matter if I had 12 row head machine, it would be parked while I'm trucking. One man dog and pony show. I'm the mechanic, operator, hired hand, propieter, and all. Can't afford to buy anything nice. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

They still make them. Mine is an antique. But it gets the job done. I have commented here about looking around for a better one. Despite what some feel I like the gleaners. I'm not in that big of hurry. Wouldn't matter if I had 12 row head machine, it would be parked while I'm trucking. One man dog and pony show. I'm the mechanic, operator, hired hand, propieter, and all. Can't afford to buy anything nice. Lol

Got a nice 1440 if interested.

I like Gleaners, have a R62 that is a great combine. Friend of mine has a 2588 and in the same field and in the same corn I can walk away from him without a problem and I hold more. They are one of those things that I feel are way underrated and they separate well even on side hills! Simple well built machines. 

• Like 1

There were alot of gleanes round here years ago. 50s, 60s and 70s vintage. When ih came out with the axial flow everybody who didn't bled green eventually switched to red. Some green bloods even had red combines. The green ones are rotary now so some switched back.

Thx-Ace 

10 hours ago, NY1468 said:

I like Gleaners, have a R62 that is a great combine. Friend of mine has a 2588 and in the same field and in the same corn I can walk away from him without a problem and I hold more. They are one of those things that I feel are way underrated and they separate well even on side hills! Simple well built machines. 

How are you doing with ground conditions?  Has it dried up any?

That's a nice picture.  When I was a little kid my Dad had a Gleaner F.  He then moved up to an M2 and later an R60.  So I grew up around Gleaners.  Always had pretty good luck with them.  When he switched to Case IH axial flows it wasn't anything against the Gleaner combines, rather the old dealer who wasn't updating shop equipment or training of mechanics.  So they weren't equipped to work on the newer more modern combines.

I have a soft spot for old Gleaners. Grandpa had a C II with a Full Vision cab. He built a little flat- topped 2 drawer wooden toolbox that served as my buddy seat.  When I first started farming a few little patches I started out with an old C II, then an F, then an M. Used to like the round- holed bean sieve. Still think they were some of the best bean machines around.