Milwaukee and Dewalt tools

Pid 1831

I have been looking to get myself a battery powered SDS drillwith chisel function.

From my investigations it has become apparent that Dewalt and Milwaukee 18volt batteries are interchangeable.

Is this correct?

If so is it a design of chance or are they the same tool branded different?

Seems liky that if they are interchangeable  a coincidence is unlikely.

Any thoughts or experience please?

This is the Milwaukee sds I was looking at.

https://www.bigredpowertools.co.uk/milwaukee-hd18hx-502c

I've got several 20 volt Dewalt tools and I thought the 20 volt tools are replacing the older 18 volt ones. Sorry, I don't know if the 18 volt batteries are interchangeable but it would seem to be a better move to go with the newer models anyway.

EDIT: simultaneous post with above. Evidentially batteries don't interchange.

There battery adapters on eBay and Amazon to run different brand batteries in different brand tools. 
I have one to run Dewalt batteries in old Craftsman 19.2 volt tools. Works fine. I wouldn’t go building a cordless tool collection in this way but it does work to keep some old tools still functional and only running one battery platform. 

We use Milwaukee tools, have a dozen or more that we use in the job daily, been 6 years since the switch, so far still using the same 5ah batteries that came With the original tools, i see no noticeable change in performance from day 1. I engrave dates into all tools and batteries so i can keep track. I don’t see how they would be interchangeable , we went away from dewalt as they were phasing out their old 18v lineup and Milwaukee was offering $100 off with trade in of old tools. I have no experience with the professional grade 20v dewalt. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We use Milwaukee tools, have a dozen or more that we use in the job daily, been 6 years since the switch, so far still using the same 5ah batteries that came With the original tools, i see no noticeable change in performance from day 1. I engrave dates into all tools and batteries so i can keep track. I don’t see how they would be interchangeable , we went away from dewalt as they were phasing out their old 18v lineup and Milwaukee was offering $100 off with trade in of old tools. I have no experience with the professional grade 20v dewalt. 

good info seth,

lithium ion type batteries now are not like what we have grown up with on our power tools being Nicad, as we move fwd battery life will only get better n better - LI batteries in a perfect world are designed to go 8 to 10 yrs - they dont start losing any significant noticeable battery life until after 5yrs roughly, when they start tapering off like covid shots. 

nothing horrible about the dewalts and ryobi either but understand you are comparing a commercial grade milwaukee ( work life ) designed tool vs home owner grade in ryobi and depending on the dewalt could be same.  Nicad, Nimh, batteries were all in the 1 to 2 yr category and up to 5ish on the nimh, we are growing in in new things but prices arent there yet for affordability. 

Dont forget with those batteries are the amp hour ratings which equals higher rating/larger battery physically speaking. They will run longer as they have more cells to provide power. When you are buying an impact gun for instance dont get a 2AH battery get a 4 or 5 or you might be stopping to recharge to get your tires off/on. 

FYI - a Lion is not like the old ones that have memory and you need to run them dead all the time, a Lion likes to be charged all the time for max life. 

• Like 2

I've been using the small batteries in my Dewalt 1/4 and 3/8ths impacts just to keep them nice and light. I'm amazed at how long even the small batteries last. I'm using the big batteries in the 1/2" impact and drill and haven't used an air impact since I bought it. The battery life is amazing especially considering the torque of the wrench.

All my newer power tools are Dewalt. I had no reason other than the first one I received as a gift was a corded circular saw. It's a sweet saw and light, especially compared to my now retired worm drive. I just kept going with Dewalt. One reason - they're bright yellow so I can find them😁

HVAC crew recently at my house had a mix of Dewalt and Milwaukee and said they had no problem with either. I would think to stay with one or the other for battery commonality. Milwaukee has torque selection on their impacts and I think if I was working where that was important I'd go with them. Lots of folks swear by them. I have had mixed luck with Royobi. I burned a drill out but still have corded planner and belt sander that are working OK.

I have had DeWalt 18 volt stuff for years ,no it won't keep up with the newer stuff ,but they still work well.I bought a couple of their 60 volt flex tools and they are great, the battery powered pole saw is really nice,it's light and will run for hours on a single battery.

I’ve posted before, after buying my 1/2” Milwaukee and realizing it was way over powered for most jobs, I went and got the 1/4” and 3/8.  I use the 3/8 for everything.   Handles 3/4 ton truck lug nuts easily, and it’s so light.  
I’ve dropped the 1/4” one 12-16’ onto concrete a few times. Battery didn’t even detach 

• Like 1

I've bought two Craftsman 19.2V kits, 2 batteries and a charger, a drill, a saw, either circulate or Sawzall, a light, spotlight or flourescent work light, and two more tools.  SON bought me an impact drill for driving screws, with a TORX bit it's great for deck building, other tool was another drill.  The two early kits had Nicad batteries,  this they have all died, I've bought at least 5-6 new batteries. The impact came with Lipo batteries, I bought two new batteries, and have one totally dead battery out of the 4. I can switch any battery onto any tool, but the LIPO batteries are so expensive, not sure they're worth it, I don't make my living with these tools.  I've still got corded tools I use a lot, like my Milwakee circular saw, or two DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinders, but I have a Milwakee 4-1/2" 11Amp corded grinder that kicks the DeWalt's to the curb.  I have a 7"/9" Black & Decker 15 Amp 5000 rpm angle grinder if I feel like working REALLY hard.  And I've got air tools too, I have a 3/8" Butterfly impact and both standard and long impact sockets, I can pull Kohler engines apart with it in just a few minutes. I have a sheet metal nibbler, it chews cresant shaped slivers of steel out of sheets of steel, it's messy but quick and versatile.

31 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I've bought two Craftsman 19.2V kits, 2 batteries and a charger, a drill, a saw, either circulate or Sawzall, a light, spotlight or flourescent work light, and two more tools.  SON bought me an impact drill for driving screws, with a TORX bit it's great for deck building, other tool was another drill.  The two early kits had Nicad batteries,  this they have all died, I've bought at least 5-6 new batteries. The impact came with Lipo batteries, I bought two new batteries, and have one totally dead battery out of the 4. I can switch any battery onto any tool, but the LIPO batteries are so expensive, not sure they're worth it, I don't make my living with these tools.  I've still got corded tools I use a lot, like my Milwakee circular saw, or two DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinders, but I have a Milwakee 4-1/2" 11Amp corded grinder that kicks the DeWalt's to the curb.  I have a 7"/9" Black & Decker 15 Amp 5000 rpm angle grinder if I feel like working REALLY hard.  And I've got air tools too, I have a 3/8" Butterfly impact and both standard and long impact sockets, I can pull Kohler engines apart with it in just a few minutes. I have a sheet metal nibbler, it chews cresant shaped slivers of steel out of sheets of steel, it's messy but quick and versatile.

Check out battery adapters on eBay and Amazon that will let you run new Dewalt or Milwaukee batteries in your old tools. My teenage son was gifted some old Cman 19.2V tools from a neighbor when he upgraded. Rather than buy new batteries for them I got him the adapter that can use my Dewalt 20v batteries. It keeps the old tools going for $20. 

The battery units have different connectors. But the actual batteries inside the unit may be the same.

Both brands are great. 

Milwaukee seems to have more for mechanics tools like the 1" impact.

Dewalt covers mechanics tools but has more chainsaws, weed eaters, pole saws, etc. The first tool I bought was a 20v chainsaw and I love it. It developed a problem but Dewalt replaced it. My high torque 1/2 impact is amazing!

Thx-Ace 

Just recently bought a Dewalt leaf blower. The cost of the tool wasn't bad but I just had to buy a couple of 5ah batteries to run the tool and it set me back $190 with taxes in. Good tool but, "Ouch" on the batteries. My old 2ah battery didn't last very long, and I couldn't finish the laneway on one charge.

We really love our 1/2 high torque Milwaukee impact wrenches they will remove the lug nut from our 4900 dump truck, we also have m18 grease guns as well. Due too a communication error between my cousin and me with our uncle, we happened to end up with two impacts, and two grease guns but it is nice too not have too share tools. Our dewalt 20v 1/2 drill has been ok but the chuck slips on round drill bits a lot and we can't figure out how to change out the chuck on it.

1 hour ago, Tonys 300 Utility said:

Just recently bought a Dewalt leaf blower. The cost of the tool wasn't bad but I just had to buy a couple of 5ah batteries to run the tool and it set me back $190 with taxes in. Good tool but, "Ouch" on the batteries. My old 2ah battery didn't last very long, and I couldn't finish the laneway on one charge.

They almost give you the tool, and then show you the batteries and ….

• Like 1

It is hard to answer you questions without citing this technical bulletin. 🤔

2023501961_milwaukeedewryo.jpg.7ccc8585aba6f2605d9082744a2a4818.jpg

For the record, I color coordinate my tools with my tractors😍

471438746_milwaukeetools.thumb.jpg.d6acbbd4a33e9b46670a20cd2c1038aa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How much battery competition is there in Red China?  So far as I know the Commies determine what is to be produced, and who gets to do the production. The packaging could be different BUT I would expect to see the same cells in all the battery packs. Of course the cells have to vary in Chemistry and AH capacity.

4 hours ago, AKwelder said:

They almost give you the tool, and then show you the batteries and ….

Milwaukee all the way, my truck doesn't get much use with me laid up, but I checked the two fivers in the boxes inside and after 6 months they were still full, I keep a 1/2 inch impact, and a 1/2 inch drill also with a 1/4 inch impact in there, as for the blower, it cost 200.00 tool only, bought two batteries, a 12 and a 9, just under 600.00, but I use it all the time and its light enough for mom to use while I get better.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best I will rate this at a 10.

• Like 2

Bought the EGO blower and string trimmer. 56 Volt batteries last an incredibly long time. Blower is light and just a push button, no cord pulling. I've been using it anywhere I need to blow something off in addition to the yard cleanup - three dump truck loads of shredded leaves so far. We've got far too many maple trees!

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

When I was but a wee lad (Iowegian for a kid), my Dad taught me that 66 county Nebraska was, and obviously remains Cherry county, larger than a few states in the Northeast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

...certainly looks  like ''Ryobi ""   has the goods......squat /   sturdy /  no frills.....built much like the old Dutch Plough.....  and you have obviously lined them up..in your  order of preference , Sandhiller...., ...that ol' Nebraska   ''intuition''   eh  ,   always a winner....:)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1