Obsolete part equivalent

gearheadmb

The seal on the auxiliary valve had been leaking pretty bad on my 424. International says its no longer available, my local dealer couldn't find any NOS anywhere, nor could they give me any specs to find my own. The internet had nothing useful. So I took it apart and said a prayer that something would exist to replace it because removing it destroyed the seal. So as it turns out

National oil seal 240816 is equivalent to IH p/n 3061049R1 

The national part was like $5 from the auto parts store. It's been in the tractor for a few weeks and not leaking so it must be correct enough.

I figured that valve/seal was probably used on more than just my tractor and someday one of you guys might need one too. So now when you google the part number maybe you'll find this.

If you know of any other obsolete part equivalents feel free to post them here. We're all in this together, gotta help each other out where we can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a bearing store here that is very helpful.

These two guys live with a caliper in their hand.

They can cross reference about anything.

Just because a dealer don't have it, that don't mean you are screwed.

If you can find the bearing/seal dimensions somewhere, I have then used these dimensions to search Ebay and have found a replacement.

Always remember, the engineers did try and use the same parts rather than making new.

It was far easier for them to do so. Like using the same fuel/oil filters that IH did.

If a new bearing/seal was used, that means an old one was not in the system that met their needs.

Most seals and bearings can be found but you may have to come in the back door.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Most seals and bearings can be found but you may have to come in the back door.

Yeah, I just figured since I did the legwork on this one I'd share it to hopefully save the next guy from so much back door action.

Wait, that didn't come out right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gearheadmb said:

The seal on the auxiliary valve had been leaking pretty bad on my 424. International says its no longer available, my local dealer couldn't find any NOS anywhere, nor could they give me any specs to find my own. The internet had nothing useful. So I took it apart and said a prayer that something would exist to replace it because removing it destroyed the seal. So as it turns out

National oil seal 240816 is equivalent to IH p/n 3061049R1 

The national part was like $5 from the auto parts store. It's been in the tractor for a few weeks and not leaking so it must be correct enough.

I figured that valve/seal was probably used on more than just my tractor and someday one of you guys might need one too. So now when you google the part number maybe you'll find this.

If you know of any other obsolete part equivalents feel free to post them here. We're all in this together, gotta help each other out where we can.

Your local dealer must have some pretty inept parts hounds. Messick's carries them & there's one at the Parts Depot. They aren't a $5 seal, but still available.

Mike

😄  Only Wheatland tractors with cabs require that....  Ahm.

Great job & thanks for posting.   Always feels good to "fix that leak!".   

Seals and bearings can almost always be crossed if careful measurements are taken.   I'm a little surprised no company hasn't yet done a cross reference for the older stuff just so they don't have to mess with them any more, but I suppose that would make too much sense. 

3 minutes ago, Nebraska1206 said:

No, its not.  It's a valid part number, looks like it has IH British origins

424 is a Doncaster UK built tractor so that makes sense.

I've looked up a lot of IH part numbers over the years and I have not once ever come across a valid 7-digit-plus-R part number. Even on British tractors.

ih has/ had a seal and brg. cross referance book. i have one from the 80s that i use alot. also go to KaKapart on the web. type in ih part no. it will give u the cross referance to several different manufactures. I think it is a foreign company but sure is handy to cross referance brg. and reals

42 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

424 is a Doncaster UK built tractor so that makes sense.

I've looked up a lot of IH part numbers over the years and I have not once ever come across a valid 7-digit-plus-R part number. Even on British tractors.

Many individual decals have 7 digit numbers. They're usually 27xxxxxR or 100xxxxR.

On a side note, I've noticed since I got my 2444 that one thing the Depot does not have a lot of, is 30xxxxxR numbered UK parts.

Mike

IMG_20211104_111917.jpg

IMG_20211104_112227.jpg

IMG_20211104_112739.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

On a side note, I've noticed since I got my 2444 that one thing the Depot does not have a lot of, is 30xxxxxR numbered UK parts.

on a back note why would anyone expect a brit or canadian dealer to pack up (only)complete/properly identified nos parts , transport ,export/import ,transport ,then get a $200 t check   and hope for the $ residue. While ALL the other hands involved get $$$

only works if fully written off taxs,some one should have asked C berkshire why everything was not sent there.

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

😄  Only Wheatland tractors with cabs require that....  Ahm.

Great job & thanks for posting.   Always feels good to "fix that leak!".   

Seals and bearings can almost always be crossed if careful measurements are taken.   I'm a little surprised no company hasn't yet done a cross reference for the older stuff just so they don't have to mess with them any more, but I suppose that would make too much sense. 

Here is Timken/Fafnir site with farm equipment companies'  OEM numbers crossed to Timken/Fafnir bearings.  https://www.timken.com/resources/5768_timken-fafnir-farm-line-interchang

Here is Timken Seal site with numbers from all sorts of machinery manufacturers. Those manufacturerer OEM numbers are listed and Timken numbers are given.

https://www.allsealsinc.com/pdfs/Timken_Seal_Interchange_and_Cross_Reference_Guide.pdf

I've used both sites several times in looking for parts.

Any auto parts or bearing supplier  (with knowledgeable people) can cross reference most any seal or bearing ever made.  

• Thanks 2

we have a bearing place close to us i have gone in there with a hand full of pieces of bearing and they have been able to piece together and get me the right bearing and/or seal they are extra good and never too busy to solve a puzzle.

pete