hi guys just got this f30 that i’m gonna start the process on restoring this f30. it appears to be in good condition and a recentish restoration. the engine rolls over good and has some newerish parts on it. 

i have no idea what’s going on with those rear wheels but i plan to buy a parts tractor and put some regular wheels on the back of it.

there seems to be some sort of hydraulic(similar to the touch control on newer farmall) implement attachment on the differential of the tractor. it has ih markings on it but i can’t seem to find any information on it. if anyone knows anything about it i am definitely interested as i have never seen anything like it. 

Josh 

EB9A2D8E-60D2-41AF-95B1-8825E2C6815F.jpeg

BDEE9744-5606-4662-B573-52965DD429C6.jpeg

F55AD996-C1DA-4E0D-93C8-442ACF0B4C85.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm not sure but I don't think that is hydraulic.  I think it might be what was termed a rockshaft. They were a mechanical lift attachment that would raise and lower your cultivators or whatever else at the end of the row. You tripped or engaged them somehow similar to a trip plow in operation I assume. Lil before my time. Never was around one. 

Those rims may be what were called fairway rims for golf courses and whatnot. Handy for showing so you wouldn't mark up the grass or pavement. They might be kinda rare? I sure would hang onto them till I figured it out.

• Like 2

I have a 47 Allis WC with a mechanical lift, that might be what you have there. It has two settings list or cult . One way it lowers the implement and the other it drops fast. It makes a full stroke when you hit the latch to engage regardless of any obstructions or set up so you better get it right the first time.

Cool find !

Hi Josh,

Great looking project ! 

There is a friend of mine in Iowa that knows these old girls , Goes by handle here of OLD F-30. 

Perhaps he will be by soon to comment or PM him

Whatever you do keep posting you progress so we can follow you.

BTW show the fellas here the latest tractor you restored and explain the school program you did it through.

Tony

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:35 AM, Tonyinca said:

Hi Josh,

There is a friend of mine in Iowa that knows these old girls , Goes by handle here of OLD F-30.

Tony

Its Old-F20 Tony.....lol

Decent looking project. the rear wheels are actually F-12 steel wheels someone cut the clamp out of and blew 6 holes on it to mount to the F30 hubs.

The lift one the back is driven mechanically and used for lots of different mounted equipment. If you're familiar with how a clutch lift work son a rope trip plow its pretty muuch the same concept.

There are only a couple guys I know in Cali who are pre 39 IHC nerds. not many out west. If you have any questions hit me up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Made some progress on the F30 recently. Really going under the gun now and will knock this restoration out in the next year for the competition. 

I was able to file the points in the mag and make some spark and clean out the carb and sort of limp it back together as the throttle butterfly was completely rusted stuck and the top of the carb is cracked in half and at the moment held together with epoxy. At one time someone attempted to repair the crack with what looks like bondo and silicone on both the inside and outside and over time it rotted away from the gas and clogged every jet and orifice possible. there were 2 valves stuck open and after some soaking with many different brands of penetrating fluid both were easily unstuck. I didn’t expect to get it running with the carb in the condition that it’s in however after a bet with my dad and sister that I could get it running it fired up easily and ran exceptionally well (after I got the firing order right….) and i won the bet! 

I am still looking for wheels and at this point probably a whole tractor but I still have some time to find one.

B24CDB7E-AD5A-4A00-B9A6-D4791A87F4CE.jpeg

CEA4F9FB-15C1-4C58-A84B-1CDA0D4F866E.jpeg

AAAD2AC0-6F20-4868-8251-AA86ECA8D2EA.jpeg

• Like 5

For some reference here is me and my O-4 that i finished restoring 2 years ago for the same local JB Dewar tractor restoration competition that me and the F30 will be doing.

40B31361-CC3D-46DA-9A28-F01A514AD33B.jpeg

37CED84F-C138-40C4-A916-90B6FFE7421D.jpeg

• Like 11

Love these old tractors! , where do you put your feet ? Maybe ,Put a twelve year old kid on the tractor and tell him to follow  the team of horses , heard that from the twelve year (87 years old now)

gimme a list of parts you need. I have quite a bit of stuff left on the shelves form previous projects. You looking to put it on rubber or steel?

• 2 weeks later...

The day after my last post I went to fire the F30 up again to see if it would want to move under it's own power and i was quickly stopped as I came to find that it had made a milkshake out of the oil. I suspect the sleeve o-rings as that appears to be a common problem with these engines. 

As soon as I found that I said tear-down time!

The radiator came out and head came off and all the the parts in the way of both of those major parts. The sleeves are in suprising great condition with barely any ridge at the top of the cylinder at all. They are possibly new from when it got restored/painted in the 70s?, 80s?. The cooling system is going to be in need of some major attention. it is VERY rusty and to some extent falling apart but I believe its repairable. Being that I don't know the weight of this engine (assuming it's a lot based on the size) I will be taking it down as far as I can go just to make it simpler weight wise. That being said I was able to go as far as when i was ready to pull the flywheel and saw that it was held on by one, singular 3½ nut. I was extremely lucky and happen to know someone who works as a mechanic at the local Peterbuilt dealer and he was willing to help me out by letting me barrow his 3½ socket. 

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, Josh from CA said:

The day after my last post I went to fire the F30 up again to see if it would want to move under it's own power and i was quickly stopped as I came to find that it had made a milkshake out of the oil. I suspect the sleeve o-rings as that appears to be a common problem with these engines. 

As soon as I found that I said tear-down time!

The radiator came out and head came off and all the the parts in the way of both of those major parts. The sleeves are in suprising great condition with barely any ridge at the top of the cylinder at all. They are possibly new from when it got restored/painted in the 70s?, 80s?. The cooling system is going to be in need of some major attention. it is VERY rusty and to some extent falling apart but I believe its repairable. Being that I don't know the weight of this engine (assuming it's a lot based on the size) I will be taking it down as far as I can go just to make it simpler weight wise. That being said I was able to go as far as when i was ready to pull the flywheel and saw that it was held on by one, singular 3½ nut. I was extremely lucky and happen to know someone who works as a mechanic at the local Peterbuilt dealer and he was willing to help me out by letting me barrow his 3½ socket. 

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

I’m suggesting you remove soft plugs , before engine wash ( boil out what ever they call it ) . I didn’t do that to the Fordson and regret every time I turned engine over on engin stand .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Although its been a while since my last post a ton of progress has been made so I will update you guys on whats happened and from here on out I would like to do my best to keep updated on posting progress on the F30 but we will see how well i can do that. 

Me and my dad pulled the engine out and got it on the shop floor with our bobcat and from there we got the front cover off and the cam and crankshaft out of the block. removing the crank was an interesting experience with it riding on ball bearing it had to come out from the front to the back of the block instead of the conventional way of being able to drop the crank out through the bottom with plain bearings. DSC00099.thumb.JPG.655d401eb8e31363a6798eb2ff5f1b5b.JPG

20B2A0AB-9442-47CB-BB0E-4D09A0439ADA.thumb.jpeg.2e883816cdd21e47c862082cc3678ec2.jpeg

DSC00120.thumb.JPG.fb9baeb0aec5e716f5529709b0131e83.JPG

I was able to find a very nice 1935 Farmall F30 in Idaho that me and my Dad went and picked up. With the two of us switching off driving and staying the night in Idaho we made the ~850mile trip in 2 days! Left early Saturday morning and made it home for school and work very late Sunday night. 

BAEB0E41-532B-4B05-B7C5-D7321ACF8EC2.thumb.jpeg.f5c4347a4e1cfbddfa78bdffe9bc9c95.jpeg

F7664D5B-CAA8-4C6D-A038-EEF9C93F69A5.jpeg

6C792788-DEC9-4C9D-AFE0-3297CD865476.jpeg

B1173158-D491-4218-9150-485F252D6621.jpeg

CF6D2809-A38B-487C-B209-EC5F3CA65761.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, catman13 said:

josh

good work, im looking at starting an f-12 rebuild soon

what is with the d-9 in your first picture behind the f30

That D9 is on a ranch near me. It’s the parts tractor for the other D9 that gets worked. When the tractor was given to me to restore it was parked on the ranch as a “intermediate home” until i was able to bring it to my house. 

I would like to see you post about your experience going through the F-12 as my little sister who restored a cub is looking at a F-12 as her next project.