Buddy Seat Ideas for 1466

IHRedRyan

Local Club is planning a tractor ride this weekend and I'd like to bring grandpa along - he'd prefer to ride than drive and I want to take something with a cab because it's going to be pretty cold. 

Anyone have any experience or good ideas for temporarily cramming a second seat in a 1466? 1486 is also an option but I figure the 66 has more room.

• Like 1

I like yhe idea of two cub seats. When done you could put it up in case you'd want to use it again plus it would be easy and light weight to put in and take out plus simple.

Grampa's gonna LOVE having you reach between his legs to shift gears and having the PTO lever jammed up his rear if you use the 1486. Right side is worse. I don't know where else you'd cram an extra full-sized human in one of those cabs...

So yeah, the 1466 is probably the better bet. For something temporary, and if this parade isn't expecting everyone to be seat-belted into approved seating, I'd build a 2x6 bench to fit between the seat and cab side. Some old kitchen seat cushions... Good to go.

Hopefully the 1466 has the tombstone seat with flip-up armrests. Make the bench so it matches the height of the seat so you can "share" a bit.

I like the removing seat cushion. and bolting or maybe even just hose clamp or zip tie,  some angle iron across the seat frame. Or 2x4s. Extend right over to cab side. Ad rowboat or football stadium  carry around type cushions. And cup holders   Or, with flip up armrest seat,  climb in cab with some 2x6 material, saw and screw gun, build a box to sit in the floor, up,to match level of seat, add cushion.  maybe remove pto lever 

35 minutes ago, IHRedRyan said:

Thanks for ideas guys ,

It’s a deluxe seat , I think I’ll go with a little 2x4 frame to go in beside , will take some pictures.

Its still in there so i could take a picture. In my 2-135 I took off the LH armrest and built a frame that mounted on the armrest stud and then bolted to the seat cushion hole. Then bolted some upholstered plywood to the frame. Its been in there 20 years. Its level with the main seat so it makes buddy seat.

Back when I had a 1066 & the kids were little I bolted a seat out of a JD4400 in the back left corner for them to sit in while I worked ground.  Worked for them but might be  a little high for "grandpa". Neighbor had a 560 that had a 2 person seat  that left side bolted to the rear axle for support.. 

Didn't end up having the time to give the buddy seat much attention, a 5 gallon pail and cushion off a shop stool ended up fitting quite nicely and that was "plenty good enough" for grandpa. Rain held off and we had a good ride. Got a video of the convoy before we headed out, the 1066 that was right driving behind us in the 1466 is a real beauty, local guy bought it restored, 4020 behind it is his too, his wife drove that one!

• Like 1