Ok! ENOUGH with the #%@$&!% leaves!

vtfireman85

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I bought the blower I did specifically because it was outlawed in areas of California, vermont, Oregon and some others, mostly individual cities due to noise pollution and fuel consumption. In other words its one bad chicken. As of last fall it was the biggest backpack blower on the market. I have to say I wear earplugs and earmuffs.. its effin  loud. 

I went the other way although not for any environmental concerns. I found I couldn't use a gas string trimmer for more than a few minutes or it excited (I guess) the nerves in my arms and would give me an uncomfortable buzz, so I bought an EGO battery trimmer. I liked it so much I bought their battery blower and found it so convenient I use it all the time. The batteries hold a charge for a long time; I'm amazed at how many leaves I've moved. String trimmer never runs out and I end up using the blower instead of a broom. Blow out the garage, hangar, pickup bed, etc. Just pick it up and pull the trigger, push turbo for tough jobs. Open the truck doors and blow all the dirt out the other side.

I used to use my Solo backpack mist blower to move leaves but it's heavy, you have to shoulder it, etc. Battery EGO works great.

https://egopowerplus.com/blower-650cfm/

Matches. If insufficient supplment with 50 gal of diesel fuel. Yellow wonderbucket oil can be used in an emergency. 😉🤫🤐

26 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I went the other way although not for any environmental concerns. I found I couldn't use a gas string trimmer for more than a few minutes or it excited (I guess) the nerves in my arms and would give me an uncomfortable buzz, so I bought an EGO battery trimmer. I liked it so much I bought their battery blower and found it so convenient I use it all the time. The batteries hold a charge for a long time; I'm amazed at how many leaves I've moved. String trimmer never runs out and I end up using the blower instead of a broom. Blow out the garage, hangar, pickup bed, etc. Just pick it up and pull the trigger, push turbo for tough jobs. Open the truck doors and blow all the dirt out the other side.

I used to use my Solo backpack mist blower to move leaves but it's heavy, you have to shoulder it, etc. Battery EGO works great.

https://egopowerplus.com/blower-650cfm/

I tell my FIL every time the subject comes up “go big or go home!” My next leaf moving purchase is going to be a 3 point, pto blower . 
https://votex.com/en/products/blowers/pto-blower-b40

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I tell my FIL every time the subject comes up “go big or go home!” My next leaf moving purchase is going to be a 3 point, pto blower . 
https://votex.com/en/products/blowers/pto-blower-b40

Star Speedway, local short track, has one of these or something similar they use to blow speedy dry off the track: https://www.scag.com/product/stand-on-blowers/windstorm/

8 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Matches. If insufficient supplment with 50 gal of diesel fuel. Yellow wonderbucket oil can be used in an emergency. 😉🤫🤐

Everyone used to burn leaves in the fall, the smell of burning leaves will flash me back. Even on the city streets folks would be tending fires with a rake. FD would show up now.

You can get a permit here to burn brush but leaves are a no-no.

20 minutes ago, New Englander said:

What about tires? 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

What about tires? 

I can picture you and Sid “taking care of” your leaves (and tires) with a case of dynamite.

Let me know when that will be so that I can observe from a “safe distance”, a number of states away!!!

On the other hand, I would respond with your fire department for the mop up.  Please don’t lose any fingers or worse!

Check out the Buffalo Turbine blowers if you want to go big. Fits on the front of the Bobcat and moves a lot of leaves. We also just got a leaf plow for the front of the Ventrac at work. Plan is to blow them into a big pile and then push the pile to the woods or an area where we can get the vacuum hooked to the dump. We are building a leaf box for the dump, I will share pictures when it is done.

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Everyone used to burn leaves in the fall, the smell of burning leaves will flash me back. Even on the city streets folks would be tending fires with a rake. FD would show up now.

If you don't burn them how do you get rid of them?  Compost?

On 10/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, vtfireman85 said:

5 gallons of gas through the blower this weekend and umpteen trips with my 9’ bedliner leaf wagon. And look! Its still half foliated!!! 🤬

0ADF7CB9-D1BB-404B-88E2-409142B97CF3.jpeg

845E2049-D0FF-470C-B9F5-95471F812CD1.jpeg

5E9C3892-F20B-498D-BA4F-5195EF7C7F34.jpeg

174DC576-6D25-45FF-85B0-FC83C55C365F.jpeg

One year I used the old wheel horse garden tractor and the snow plow to push leaves in to piles. At that time we formed the leaves on to the manure spreader and spread them on the fields. 

7 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Why???? Mulch them up. I'm 39, never once have I raked and moved leaves.  Grass has always regrow in the spring. 

I tried that once under the trees at my house. I ran over with the mower till they were chopped up fine. Grass nor weeds grew for a couple years after that. 

Matt

50 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Compost?

'Zactly! Transfer station has a compost pile they keep turning. Residents retrieve compost in the spring from all the leaves and grass composted over the winter.

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The leaves and I have an agreement.  They fall and blow where they wish and I leave them alone!😊

That works great on the farm, in town not so much! I keep the leaves cleaned up in town because they don't go through a snowblower worth a hoot! Hopefully this is the last winter it's a consideration. Then it will be interesting to see how much I can get out of the Snapper snowblower I bought used almost 20 years ago.

One year the leaves around my place were absolutely out of control, seemed like they all came down at the same time. I looked at the monster piles and got the bright idea the run them through the baler……..it actually worked!!

I got about 5 nice firm bales out of the JD 14T; pulled up a pile and threw the leaves into the baler with a manure fork.

Wish I’d taken pictures.

3 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

One year the leaves around my place were absolutely out of control, seemed like they all came down at the same time. I looked at the monster piles and got the bright idea the run them through the baler……..it actually worked!!

I got about 5 nice firm bales out of the JD 14T; pulled up a pile and threw the leaves into the baler with a manure fork.

Wish I’d taken pictures.

That's genius!

13 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

Wish I’d taken pictures.

I actually used them for bedding the beef calves one year. Pick em up when they’re dry, worked great except all the work involved I don’t think I could get them to feed into the round baler though. 

it was actually an ex-girlfriend’s idea, after she left I decided it was too much work and now I leave them alone  

15 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The leaves and I have an agreement.  They fall and blow where they wish and I leave them alone!😊

Archived