cylinder heads

dieselman

hi all, picked up two cylinder heads at auction today, looks as if they have been through the machine shop. one is a bare head off a gas start diesel casting # 260869R4 thinking might be off a MD or 400 and the other one is off a 282 casting # 323771R3, not sure what they fit, any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.....dieselman.

260869R1 started with D-248 engine serial number 14501,  then on to D-264 engines up to at least R5.  IH  made a bunch of changes to the heads trying to get better reliability.  R5 came out in late 56 on 400 D-264 serial number 21346 and R4 was also during  400 production.  Have a late SMTAD with a 260869R3 if I remember correct and also on 400 tractors, will have to look. After that for 450 tractors they changed the complete head number. 323771R1 started on D 282 engine number 40699 and I don't know if R3 made it above a 560 or not. Guessing it did.

Not to be a bearer of bad news but they clean the heads up before Magnafluxing them.

They could be cracked and that is why they were not on something.

I would have them checked out before using.

that is the plan, would not sell or install before having them tested, the 282 head is complete with valves, springs etc. pulled a valve and looks like a fresh grind but will test it for sure,  thanks guys.

7 minutes ago, dieselman said:

that is the plan, would not sell or install before having them tested, the 282 head is complete with valves, springs etc. pulled a valve and looks like a fresh grind but will test it for sure,  thanks guys.

id bet the 282 is warped/unlevel likely need to have it planed - 

1 hour ago, dieselman said:

i would be interested in the 282 head.

15 hours ago, dieselman said:

ok rust red not 100% sure what it fits or it value  earlier posts thought maybe 560, ihave 606's and 706's will check their casting numbers and compare

you could e mail me . thanks.