Parts

Lazy WP

My wife is inside truck parts and service rep for the local Cat dealer. She is pretty good at it also. This past week she has sold 3 or 4 Platinum overhauls, as well as other items. Her first Platinum shows up at the shop, and thankfully before they disable it, they order parts. Cat says first of November for injectors. No Platinum overhaul kits and no clue when they might get them. 
I knew Cummins was having trouble getting parts, but Cat had been doing good. 
It might get interesting when there’s no trucks running up and down the highway. 

• Sad 1

Everything seems to be getting interesting.  At the very least it sure isn't getting better yet 

The problem with the availability of parts and all kinds of other stuff is much more than politics.

The world economy has had a monkey wrench thrown into the gears for a year and a half now. Toilet paper, lumber, parts, etc. We keep having shortages of various items but  then availability improves. 

I believe it's because of our adoption of just in time manufacturing and computerized ordering. our systems are not adapting to changes in purchasing patterns quick enough.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, acem said:

The problem with the availability of parts and all kinds of other stuff is much more than politics.

The world economy has had a monkey wrench thrown into the gears for a year and a half now. Toilet paper, lumber, parts, etc. We keep having shortages of various items but  then availability improves. 

I believe it's because of our adoption of just in time manufacturing and computerized ordering. our systems are not adapting to changes in purchasing patterns quick enough.

Thx-Ace 

Well said, Ace.

The only thing worse here than John Deere parts availability is Cat service availability. We had a hydraulic problem on a CTL and we never could even get anyone to come out. Here the problem is the rules regarding what is supposed to be done if someone shows up positive with COVID. Someone would test positive and then they would just about send the whole dealership home. I don’t want to give the impression that COVID isn’t serious or anything, but most people never got sick and the work just piles up. They can’t get stuff in the shop because they can’t finish what’s already in there. If you aren’t a mega customer, they don’t even want to talk to you because they are so far behind. They are cannibalizing their rental fleet to keep customer machines running. There’s no way it’s not going to get worse. 

Computer are basically modeling our purchase patterns. The Computer orders what the model  says will sell each delivery cycle. So we buy more weight loss products in January. Candy and lingerie in February... and toys in December. 

With the Corona situation,  the buying patterns changed quickly and the Computer models didn't understand. Then manufacturers have their own problems with shutdowns, lack of parts and other inefficiencies.

It just keeps cycling around through various products.

I wonder how condom and other birth control sales have been during the pandemic?

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, acem said:

I wonder how condom and other birth control sales have been during the pandemic?

Thx-Ace 

Lol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

• Haha 2

I went into NAPA today and needed to get some starting fluid. I said 3 cans will do. He comes back with 3 tall cans and i say i need at least 1 short cans. He said Denver has no short cans and they are on Back Order. I said ok i guess i will just squirt it in the front of the 806 or 766 if i need to start them

3 hours ago, acem said:

Computer are basically modeling our purchase patterns. The Computer orders what the model  says will sell each delivery cycle. So we buy more weight loss products in January. Candy and lingerie in February... and toys in December. 

With the Corona situation,  the buying patterns changed quickly and the Computer models didn't understand. Then manufacturers have their own problems with shutdowns, lack of parts and other inefficiencies.

It just keeps cycling around through various products.

Thx-Ace 

Damn fascinating theory.

I kind of wondered if got Wally's computer confused about 15 years ago. They had the best price on gear oil, and in one gal size as that is the handiest to put in my old Cat D6. It had a vibration shacking a 3/8 cap screw lose/ falling out. Going down hill oil pouring out the whole. I needed it running for a few days. So every time I was in town I would more or less clean shelf off of what they had. Several months latter the end cap is full of gear oil. They had lots of gear oil sitting around for months. 🤣 I am getting to end of what I had time to buy more now that oil is more expensive.  😪

😪 I started to work on that D6 several times. The clutch in the loader tractor went the first time. And D6's have almost been falling out of the sky 3 that need a bit of work to run 2 running, and 3 parts only ones. An I spotted another to offer scrap price for, that I know a bit of history on. But since I don't work on what I got. 😪 

Two words: Lean manufacturing.

When I started my career, it was the new hot girl in school. "Lean" this and "lean" that. "Managers" adopted it unquestioned. What it all adds up to in the end is a ton of vulnerability, severely reduced flexibility, and 24/7/365 logistics management all for a one time savings by freeing up some material holding cost and maybe a negligible reduction in the cost of storage space.

Those chickens are coming home to roost, because a lean system isn't built to handle anything but a perfect supply chain. It's like a super high performance formula one engine in that it IS better, but only when everything goes right, in a highly controlled environment. Lean is the Formula One car, and the real world is a Baja race.

I remember reading some book about lean, assigned to me by a manager, who just thought it was gospel. There was ZERO case against it, ever. Well when the recent graduate new guy wasn't buying it, it didn't do much to win favor amongst the higher ups...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Lean is part of it the other half is having everything made off shore 

The current issue is getting the imported items in the country they need to automate the ports  

Other part is getting trucks into non truck friendly states. 
I for one don’t want to go to California. My truck isn’t legal there. Not real interested in going through states that their government believe that all trucks contribute is pollution and congestion. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I for one don’t want to go to California. My truck isn’t legal there. Not real interested in going through states that their government believe that all trucks contribute is pollution and congestion. 

I've been hearing that's as big of a problem as getting the ships unloaded. Not enough trucks that are legal enough to haul out of there. Plus no owner operators can haul from the port. 

Another case of California screwing the rest of us over.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I've been hearing that's as big of a problem as getting the ships unloaded. Not enough trucks that are legal enough to haul out of there. Plus no owner operators can haul from the port. 

Another case of California screwing the rest of us over.

Not to make this political, but until the rest of the USA says to California to get bent with their laws, don’t expect much to change in the transportation world. We have allowed them to dictate what the rest of the nation does, as far as emissions, noise, and labor! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

My buddy stopped hauling produce out CA because his truck wasn't legal there

If they would automate the container movement they would reduce emissions instead of moving each container with a longshoreman and a yard truck 

• Like 1

Blame "lean" or "jit" some but the real elephant in the room us you CANT hit pause and shut a large portion of the economy down and pay people to do nothing, then expect everything to roar right back to life with no issues.  THAT started this whole mess, and it certainly was/is an effect from a political cause.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

My buddy stopped hauling produce out CA because his truck wasn't legal there

If they would automate the container movement they would reduce emissions instead of moving each container with a longshoreman and a yard truck 

that is a definite near century LS  UNION issue  of big $$$$$$ and no actual work ,so crippling in WW11  they had to ask Italy for help.

at least 1 of those ports (had) major rail infrastructure, 4 picks /4 drops DIRECT to a car, and an entire ship is headed out of the fruit salad  in hours  !!!! ZERO !!! congestion.     BUT !! Buffets handlers will not spot a train with out $1M + guaranteed profit.

One bright thing that's going to come out of the parts shortages... these newbie, limp wristed, parts changer mechanic wannabes are going to learn how to actually fix things.

Perfect example, needed a 3176 water pump the other day and no on-hand quantity found.... Local machine shop had bearings on the shelf and Napa had seals the next day.... didn't take more than a couple hrs to press it apart and back together. Actually came out more profitable for the shop over installing a reman. But it's the first time I can remember us rebuilding a water pump in the shop over the last decade.

We've gotten so used to just changing parts that we've lost the craftsmanship that defined a good technician. I'm just old enough to remember the days when you had something that didn't work, you took it apart and tried to see if you could salvage it before ordering a new part.

• Like 12