86 series cab removal

Cooter

I'm embarking on a cab restoration this winter and wondering if there are any special techniques to getting the cab off?  I've seen pictures of people painting tractors with the controls and platform still attached to the chassis; which would explain why it's red under the hydraulic and shift towers.  Looking at this, to me, looks like the platform and controls come off with the cab.  Removing the fuel tank, unhooking linkages, cables, unplugging the wiring harness, steering and brake lines and it would come off as one whole unit.  Is that the way to do it?  Or leave the platform and controls in place?  Are there some factory lift holes hidden under something that are used to lift the cab?

The 186 scheduled for a face lift?

I need to repair or get a much better one for my 186. 

The platform is under the cab and stays on the transmission I am sure but I don't know what correctly lifts a cab off. We have a 3588 rear end with the platform still on it. I plan to use the 4 remote handles for the 186 

I have lifted the cab off and still drove the tractor outside to pressure wash before doing TA splits. Been a while but IIRC i left the lower fuel tank on and just stuck the return line in it. Be sure on a gear drive to put the left front cab mount nut back on as the platform "flex" makes the clutch goofy. Of course that is a non issue on the 186. I put a strap through the inside of the cab and chain hoist it. Makes the center section removal a lot easier with cab off then platform off, at least for me. Some guys work underneath the platform but i like to stand beside the chassis and remove/install hyd lines and such. On my 186 with no lower fuel tank seems like i just put the fuel lines in a gallon jug for a temp fuel tank.

Take the complete cab off intact even the floor console and lever control basically everything above the mounts much easier and less work

I've changed the cab on my hydro 186. I got a cab from a 1586 at a salvage yard so I just changed out the top and left the platform on. I did it with a front end loader but it was tight. You have to get it pretty high to clear everything. Thx-Ace 

The cab will come off by removing the 4 large cab mount nuts.

6 fire wall bolts that are around the front windows on the bottom.

Remove seat, but not necessary, brace in behind the seat, all the plastic around the levers and wiring harness should be unhooked.....

Hard for me to remember with out having one in front of me.

There maybe a piece of steel plate that needs unbolted in behind the 3 point position controls that pushed up against the rear fire wall.

I think it's easier to leave the floor deck and fuel tanks on until cab is off, just that much more weight that doesn't need lifted up and over the rear fuel tanks.

I can try and answer any other questions you may have or show some pictures if I have them for you.

Thanks, Matt

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

The 186 scheduled for a face lift?

I need to repair or get a much better one for my 186. 

The platform is under the cab and stays on the transmission I am sure but I don't know what correctly lifts a cab off. We have a 3588 rear end with the platform still on it. I plan to use the 4 remote handles for the 186 

Yes.  It's rusty in the typical 86 series cab spots, but people just painted over it 😒 .  Half the stuff doesn't in the cab doesn't work and it needs a lot of work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IHC5488 said:

I have a few photos that may help.

IMG_20180916_152727294.thumb.jpg.0c18ddbebadb3a3c4274221468db44ec.jpg

IMG_20171015_140228210_HDR.thumb.jpg.f9acdd4b326a6b5e20892712b597bd5e.jpg

IMG_20180818_203128181_HDR.thumb.jpg.25fdc32c86227bd812c6861f11ec9950.jpg

I see.  Yes, this is VERY helpful!

Do you have any pictures of it completed?

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

@FarmallFan ....

11 hours ago, Cooter said:

Here’s some from the day I brought it home from @IHC5488 

AABF6509-73FE-4290-8C64-03A915ED87DB.jpeg

97E62F2A-E065-40A2-94B6-F31A7DA5FC36.jpeg

B09EAC39-EA50-42E6-8032-8DBFBAA002A6.jpeg

• Like 4

NOw, somebody needs to show the "right" way.😉   In all the times I removed our 1486 cab, never did it that way.   Cab mounts, linkages, rear tank, floorboards, steering lines, and jack the entire assembly up 6-12 ", and roll the rear end out from under.  

Of course, we were moving it to work on the transmission or rear end, not paint.

18 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

I have lifted the cab off and still drove the tractor outside to pressure wash before doing TA splits. Been a while but IIRC i left the lower fuel tank on and just stuck the return line in it. Be sure on a gear drive to put the left front cab mount nut back on as the platform "flex" makes the clutch goofy. Of course that is a non issue on the 186. I put a strap through the inside of the cab and chain hoist it. Makes the center section removal a lot easier with cab off then platform off, at least for me. Some guys work underneath the platform but i like to stand beside the chassis and remove/install hyd lines and such. On my 186 with no lower fuel tank seems like i just put the fuel lines in a gallon jug for a temp fuel tank.

Gee... that sounds like a lot of extra work. Once i take the battery boxes and steps off, I just roll around on a shop stool under the cab to unhook lines and such to do the split for a TA or rear end.

• Like 1