Be still my heart......or

dads706

Now to get back to the BBC

Me likes a lot and yes quite a feat

Asked about limit to cu in, yes mountain motors pushed pro stock, the physical dimensions of bore stroke deck height and size starts to get tight to fit in an engine bay

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dasnake said:

my said camaro had 4.88s

Those would wind the rubber bands pretty tight. Especially if you are highway driving a lot.  Maybe not a lot of top speed, but in a 1/4 you will get there quick. Tallest I ever saw anybody have in a daily driver were 4.56's, and at 75 it was wound up.

But, we were young and dumb. 

• Like 1

Was a guy in town had a 69 Mustang with 5.14's in it, it was might quick light to light but his buddies said almost intolerable after 15 minutes on the highway, definitely not a road trip car 

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

Those would wind the rubber bands pretty tight. Especially if you are highway driving a lot.  Maybe not a lot of top speed, but in a 1/4 you will get there quick. Tallest I ever saw anybody have in a daily driver were 4.56's, and at 75 it was wound up.

But, we were young and dumb. 

I didn't lose much, but one night up against a '36 ford business coupe with a punched out 413, he was running 5.38s, he was like a cannon shot, wasn't to much freeway stuff and when we did stayed in traffic flow.

You guys were running some pretty tall gears. We were always told not to go over 4:11's to keep the rpms down at highway speed. 

At 70-75 mph (interstate speed) what rpm's were you guys turning with 4:56's and 4:88's?

54 minutes ago, dads706 said:

You guys were running some pretty tall gears. We were always told not to go over 4:11's to keep the rpms down at highway speed. 

At 70-75 mph (interstate speed) what rpm's were you guys turning with 4:56's and 4:88's?

I bet that was back when everything was 55 mph?

On 10/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, bitty said:

235/85r16 on the 81 dually we had . Speedo said 80 mph . 454, .456 rears and a turbo 400 . What RPM would that be? Truck had no tachometer

Best guess, but I am a bit tired

image.png.09ebb02a1fb593ef2de8e33321c1136b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had 3.73 with a 26.5 tire on my shortbox and it was around 3000 rpm at 60 mph and that was enough buzzing after awhile 

I would be lying if I said I remembered rpms, a punched out 302 with 4.88 and a big muncie 4 was just fun in those days, but I can tell you about now, cummins 5.9, changed from 3.73 to 4.10 staying with factory size it went from 1700 rpm to 1900 rpm at 60mph, I've read the big fords run 4.88s to get their weight towing numbers, the tallest I could get was the aforementioned 4.10 to stay on warranty.

I had a roadrunner back then that had 3.91 for the rear gear, I wanted 4.10s then also but that dana only came with the hemi, but remember we topped it out at 120 mph max rpm there was 5300, but with slicks it came out of the hole like gangbusters.

It's fun talking the old days when we would kill to gain 50 hp and now you walk in off the street and you can buy 760 hp with a supercharger.

Wp says the 55 speed, that wasn't thought of yet because gas was running 40 to 45 cents in kanada, before raceday we would travel down to Bellingham and buy super duper hitest at 123 octane and then the distributer and timing was set for the hot gas, I would get off work friday morning and drop the cars off at an old time mechanic 30 years older than me and he would put a tune on the cars like no one I ever knew, what great bloody thread.

My built 396 was turning 2500 and 65 mph w/3:73 and 3000 w/4:11. The 4:11 was pre-wedding, and the 3:73 were after the wedding. It was our only car and my daily driver so I backed it down (gear wise), factory cam, and went back to the quadra-jet to get the mileage back to a livable number (12-15). Remember, I was only paying .19 for premium. I know cheap, but I was only making $350 a month. 

But with the big gears, the L88 and the Holley......oh howdy, it would plant you in the seat. I remember missing second one time..... just about pi**ed my pants. (ya had to have that lumpy cam for the boys at the drive in on Saturday night)

That's why there is a 69/SS396 on my bucket list. To relive my youth and to show the young pups at the Dairy Queen what muscle really is. Know a guy that is building a 67 Chevelle with a hot 504 cu. in. (454) it's only purpose will be a Saturday night cruiser. He said he is shooting for 800+ on premium gas and a single Holley. 

The things we will do to be young again. If only for a little while. 

I tell my boys how I wanted a Vette since I was about 12, but could never afford one. But now that I can afford one, owning one really isn't all that important anymore. Besides my body is so broken and battered that I probably couldn't get in and out of a new one.

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

My built 396 was turning 2500 and 65 mph w/3:73 and 3000 w/4:11. The 4:11 was pre-wedding, and the 3:73 were after the wedding. It was our only car and my daily driver so I backed it down (gear wise), factory cam, and went back to the quadra-jet to get the mileage back to a livable number (12-15). Remember, I was only paying .19 for premium. I know cheap, but I was only making $350 a month. 

But with the big gears, the L88 and the Holley......oh howdy, it would plant you in the seat. I remember missing second one time..... just about pi**ed my pants. (ya had to have that lumpy cam for the boys at the drive in on Saturday night)

That's why there is a 69/SS396 on my bucket list. To relive my youth and to show the young pups at the Dairy Queen what muscle really is. Know a guy that is building a 67 Chevelle with a hot 504 cu. in. (454) it's only purpose will be a Saturday night cruiser. He said he is shooting for 800+ on premium gas and a single Holley. 

The things we will do to be young again. If only for a little while. 

I tell my boys how I wanted a Vette since I was about 12, but could never afford one. But now that I can afford one, owning one really isn't all that important anymore. Besides my body is so broken and battered that I probably couldn't get in and out of a new one.

Great stories right, the thing I enjoy about getting old is all the memories and being able to relive what we want to relive, I got rid of my rod in '08 and put my efforts into my truck, dats enuff now, I'm kinda in love with 530 hp in a truck as a toy, at 74 I think I'm sitting in a good spot. Oh and I still got da hog.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, sandhiller said:

sixteen hours and no reply, I'll take a stab at it.

if you were in a 1:1 direct gear and assuming tire diameter of 31.7"           it would be 3866.65 rpm

5 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Best guess, but I am a bit tired

image.png.09ebb02a1fb593ef2de8e33321c1136b.png

Your best guess made me feel better bout my best guess 😄

Ford STILL made a bigger engine.  They're hard to find now, but's so is a SOHC 429. The GAA was 1100 cid, 1100 hp at 2600 rpm,  5.4" bore 6.0" stroke, double overhead cam, aluminum 60 degree angle block.  Ford was tired of waiting for Rolls Royce to answer engineering questions when Ford built Merlin aircraft engines, so Henry had his engineers design a V-12 1650 cid V-12 to replace the Merlin & Allison.  Airforce wasn't interested but the ARMY was, for the V-8, used in most Sherman tanks.

I think Chevy is aiming that 632 V-8 at Ford's 444 V-8 pickup engine, their 7.3L.

• Thanks 1

I currently have 4.56 gears in my 2002 Silverado, reg cab long box 2wd, cammed 4.8L engine, 4L60E transmission, 30 inch tires (255/70/16,) will rev about 1800 at 80 km/h(50 mph) and about 2100 at 100km/h(62mph), it’s not too bad, my more experienced friend (a generation older,) who is lifetime auto mechanic and hot rodder told me I was going to rev at 2600 at 100km/h, I had guessed at 2-2100, when I told him I was right, it was not to gloat, but more of a realization that I must be getting old to have out calculated him

• Like 1

Overdrive transmissions really lower your overall gearing and tire sizes, sounds like a good setup

The 632 isn't going to find its way into any production vehicles this will be available in their performance parts lineup and dethrone the 572, I'm guessing this is gonna have a 25K price tag up here

• Thanks 1

Since we are reliving our youth....... off topic, but worth a smile 'cause we've all been there

• Like 1