Be still my heart......or

dads706

That would be awesome on a M chassis for a V8 puller .....

• Like 2

7000 rpm out of 672 cubes, wow, I remember in my punk days my Z28 turned 7500 after being redone, and it always made me tingle when I ran that redline in a duel, the day I sold it I took it out for one last run and pulled just over 8 grand in first to third and shut down into 4th, I still see the smile on my face, and that was 52 years ago.

My kid had a jet stream river boat with a punched out 454 doing 500 hp from the factory, scary boat especially on a river run, ahhh the memories.

• Like 4

yeah, that's what I thought. I know this is a pure race motor, but "back in the day" 7grand from a big block and you could expect to see parts flying. 

• Like 3

235/85r16 on the 81 dually we had . Speedo said 80 mph . 454, .456 rears and a turbo 400 . What RPM would that be? Truck had no tachometer

1 hour ago, bitty said:

235/85r16 on the 81 dually we had . Speedo said 80 mph . 454, .456 rears and a turbo 400 . What RPM would that be? Truck had no tachometer

Ya need someone a lot smarter than me for dat bitty, my said camaro had 4.88s and I never knew how fast I was going, had the tickets to prove it.

• Haha 2

You know, this probably is a stoopid question, but how big can a gas engine be built? Diesels can be built as big as a house but they can also run at low, low, low rpm, gassers need rpm for power and torque, and the aforementioned quote about big blocks blowing up at high rpm is so true, so any ideas.

Jake.....this dosen't    answer your question,. but  40 odd years ago, some classic looking ,conventional   International   Harvester  trucks were imported into  NZ....They   were   Right Hand Drive  , 6x4 tractor units     with a 549   cubic inch   "V"   engine....  Contracter very near where  I lived, brought one....and put a three axle low bed on the back of it......When climbing one of our many hills, ...unloaded...it would spin the drivers , easily...   It was really fine looking beast....very well powered   for a ''gas pot''   ...but the down side was the petrol consumption...  It suffered the ultimate humiliation.....it had a Caterpillar  V8  Diesel   engine, transplanted   in place of the 549   .....

Mike

• Thanks 1

I see your point mike, deezel is the working engine no matter the size, i hear guys talk of the big hemi truck engines that out perform the truck I6, and I disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

40 odd years ago, some classic looking ,conventional   International   Harvester  trucks were imported into  NZ....They   were   Right Hand Drive  , 6x4 tractor units     with a 549   cubic inch   "V"   engine.... 

Mike, if you ever want to relive those days I have a IHC 220 twin screw with a 549 and a 5x3 you could play with.

I couldn't imagine how tough you have to be to make a living every day in that truck.

An old friend of mine used to haul fats to Omaha with one alot like it.

I ain't tough enough, I'll keep the KW😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Mike, if you ever want to relive those days I have a IHC 220 twin screw with a 549 and a 5x3 you could play with.

I couldn't imagine how tough you have to be to make a living every day in that truck.

An old friend of mine used to haul fats to Omaha with one alot like it.

I ain't tough enough, I'll keep the KW😄

And you have the hills to spin out on!

David Vanwinkle told about loading hogs in Omaha and going to the coast with them, driving something with a big gasser. Again I wish I would have recorded him when he got to telling stories. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

And you have the hills to spin out on!

David Vanwinkle told about loading hogs in Omaha and going to the coast with them, driving something with a big gasser. Again I wish I would have recorded him when he got to telling stories. 

Funny, LazyWP...the different ''terminology" used in your neck of the woods    ..never ever  heard the  term "Twin Screw"' ....(well ..I am talking trucks here.....:rolleyes:...)...down under.......always..""got a tandem   with etc etc  ""

Bit like  we use  "spanners "".....you guys, unless you run a Mack, <_< use "wrenchs "'  (just thought I would drop the ''Mack "" bit in....you ignored it last time I did that...we will see what happens this time.....:))

Mike

That is a big accomplishment from a factory engine today.

I also know of 2 1964 Fairlanes that have been pushing 4 digit power using only 427 engines. Ray Paquet and Paul Adams. They are shifting above 9,000 most runs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Funny, LazyWP...the different ''terminology" used in your neck of the woods    ..never ever  heard the  term "Twin Screw"' ....(well ..I am talking trucks here.....:rolleyes:...)...down under.......always..""got a tandem   with etc etc  ""

Bit like  we use  "spanners "".....you guys, unless you run a Mack, <_< use "wrenchs "'  (just thought I would drop the ''Mack "" bit in....you ignored it last time I did that...we will see what happens this time.....:))

Mike

I drove a Mack 2 weeks. No clue what transmission it had. 2 sticks and I never figured out where reverse was. Roughest riding truck I was ever in. 
I am really not much of a truck driver. Just a rebel who doesn’t play well with others. 

• Haha 2

Gee it seems you love Mack or hate it no middle ground to speak of. For what ever reason very few Mack's around here. One I do remember was a short wheel base cab over as where 80% of the trucks here in 70's and 80's.  The drive jumps out cussing up a storm as he unhooks a set of grain trailers. The rest of the companies fleet was Freight Liners which I would guess was the most popular in Calif at the time. I did not get specifics about what he did not like other than Mack was bad word, as I got recite for the full load leaving.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bitty said:

sixteen hours and no reply, I'll take a stab at it.

if you were in a 1:1 direct gear and assuming tire diameter of 31.7"           it would be 3866.65 rpm

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ray54 said:

Gee it seems you love Mack or hate it no middle ground to speak of. For what ever reason very few Mack's around here. One I do remember was a short wheel base cab over as where 80% of the trucks here in 70's and 80's.  The drive jumps out cussing up a storm as he unhooks a set of grain trailers. The rest of the companies fleet was Freight Liners which I would guess was the most popular in Calif at the time. I did not get specifics about what he did not like other than Mack was bad word, as I got recite for the full load leaving.

I brought the Mack   trucks because of the inherent  ability  that ''marque ''   had... to stand the pace with other brands....this in my main field of work, at the time....

The other ''Marque ..  that was right up there was the Mercedes  Benz   Both of those brands of truck  had a far better front  axle loading.....as compared   with anything that had Cummins or Caterpillar   engines.... Both  Merc and Mack engines would do huge hours, also...so nothing was lost when comparing  '   comparable '  engine life...

...and after three years  in the Caribbean,......the old , well used Macks, brought over to the islands,   allready well used,    from   ''Florida   Rock and Quarry Co ''   were the only trucks that  the ''local boys ''  could not seem to  destroy.....

..... .and that Ray, was a real plus ...for our maintainance crew  !!!....and ,for me,  that was the ultimate testimony to that classic American Truck....because some of those '.local drivers'' could destroy  an anvil......never mind a truck gear box....

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dasnake said:

You know, this probably is a stoopid question, but how big can a gas engine be built? Diesels can be built as big as a house but they can also run at low, low, low rpm, gassers need rpm for power and torque, and the aforementioned quote about big blocks blowing up at high rpm is so true, so any ideas.

I know of some big cub gas inline sixes, moline was building them 800 from the factory so 1000 is not hard to reach and you can only imagine what the pullers are doing and in the mph classes they're hard to beat have been for some time

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1965Dennis said:

That is a big accomplishment from a factory engine today.

I also know of 2 1964 Fairlanes that have been pushing 4 digit power using only 427 engines. Ray Paquet and Paul Adams. They are shifting above 9,000 most runs.

The thunderbolts were the dream when I was a kid, great pics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I drove a Mack 2 weeks. No clue what transmission it had. 2 sticks and I never figured out where reverse was. Roughest riding truck I was ever in. 
I am really not much of a truck driver. Just a rebel who doesn’t play well with others. 

Johnny yuma was a...........................!

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

sixteen hours and no reply, I'll take a stab at it.

if you were in a 1:1 direct gear and assuming tire diameter of 31.7"           it would be 3866.65 rpm

Wow, a bloody jeeneus, my hat is off to you jeff.

15 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Wow, a bloody jeeneus, my hat is off to you jeff.

Aw........... twernt nuttin

42171016_carrpms.png.65ac4d8d0365ec48672c982f0ed85731.png

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1