IH and CaseIH Corn Heads

FarmerFixEmUp

I see a lot of red combines here using Capello or Drago or John Deere corn heads on them. Is there something about the 1044 or 1063 or newer that people don't like? 

I've never used one myself since I have a 974 New Holland on my TR86. 

We have an 883 and FIL has a 1083, never really had any issues, just maintenance. Not sure how the chopping heads are,but not many fans of the 2000 series headers. Most want the 3000 series headers on the newer combines. 

22/2400 series CaseIH corn heads were New Holland-based. CaseIH put knife rolls on them(New Holland’s were fluted rolls), and the row unit gearboxes were overloaded due to the aggressiveness of the knife rolls. The front of the stalk rolls had no support, so that added to the problem. Many red guys didn’t care for them. 
The 32/3400 series had the front bearings on the stalk rolls like the old IH heads, although many guys complain about the excessive butt shelling on these heads, that’s probably the #1 complaint about them. Unfortunately for CNH, many red dealers took on other product lines for corn heads when CaseIH went through all the problems with their own corn heads over the last 20 years…Gehringhoff, Capello, Drago, HarvestTech and a few others have become popular heads for CaseIH dealers to sell. 

I switched to a drago 2 years ago. Way less shelling than my 1063 I was running. I like the head. Parts are awfully high compared to other heads would be my only complaint. But they do last well so maybe the price is justified.

We had a 2206 and now a 2208 on a 2366 for several years.  Knock on wood but we have had very good luck.  The stalk rolls and gathering chains had seen alot of acres and it was time to rebuild the 2208 prior to this harvest.  My brother purchased the upgrade kit from Calmer which is their stalk rolls, stripper plates, gathering chains.  So far have been very impressed with the Calmer upgrade kit.