Ih 1480 hydraulics.

nate

This fall we put our 1480 on the 1020 bean head because we got done with corn before starting beans.   The header lift has always been quick or jerky with the corn head.   Now with the bean head it is annoying when it adjusts itself for the header height.  Any ideas?   Thanks 

Auto height sensitivity to high???

The old 1020's with the cable to the pot would get sticky and jumpy, check to see if it's moving freely.

There's also an adjustment screw on the side of the spool valve next to the cab, adjustment it in to slow down oil flow. 

1 hour ago, brahamfireman said:

Auto height sensitivity to high???

The old 1020's with the cable to the pot would get sticky and jumpy, check to see if it's moving freely.

There's also an adjustment screw on the side of the spool valve next to the cab, adjustment it in to slow down oil flow. 

I believe the header height is working like it should.   It just jumps up violently when it raises to adjust itself. Like the hyd valve is opening wide open then shutting off.  It is jumpy when you raise corn head also.   We adjusted the screw on the valve but I believe that is for lower only??

6 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Does your 1480 have the accumulator and the A,B,C valves? I don't think so, but on my 1440 if I don't have the nitrogen pre charge and the three valves set right AHHC won't work at all. 79 model before electro hydraulics.

X2

7 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Nate read the post 1688 with 1020 header.

Check the cable and sensing rod has to move freely, is there debris between the adjustable fingers and the tops of the support runners. Right and left ends not binding and full range of motion.

7 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Does your 1480 have the accumulator and the A,B,C valves? I don't think so, but on my 1440 if I don't have the nitrogen pre charge and the three valves set right AHHC won't work at all. 79 model before electro hydraulics.

I read through that post.  I am pretty sure the jerky hydraulics are coming from the combine.   The head worked fine on our 1460 last year and hydraulics are smooth on 1460.   They are both electric over hydraulic and both have accumulators which we turn closed for using 1020 head.  

• Like 1

Sounds like accumulator either needs recharged or replaced its located directly under the cab near the reel drive pump

Accumulators were optional on the 14-16 combines.  I've even run into a few 2xxx combines without AHC or accumulators.    If you have one, open the valve 1-2 turns.  

12 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Accumulators were optional on the 14-16 combines.  I've even run into a few 2xxx combines without AHC or accumulators.    If you have one, open the valve 1-2 turns.  

I will try this,  maybe it will soften the lift some.  

22 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Must be in certain area's  because I've never see one around here that didn't have an accumulator 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

Must be in certain area's  because I've never see one around here that didn't have an accumulator 

Very.  Dealer/area related.  Some dealers would buy "All the options" on any new combine, as thats what sold a combine in their area.   Other dealers would strip any "non-essential" option off because if they were not cheapest they would not get the sale.   Dependent on typical customers in the area.    

And then there were the "larger area" issues, like combines set up for Montana wheat are speced quite different than Illinois corn/soybeans.    There were no "AHC" systems on wheat heads until 15 years ago, so many of those combines did not even get AHC installed, let alone accumulators.   Saved a few bucks on something they "would never need". 

I keep the accumulator open even on my ridge header makes the header lower and lift more smoothly  

We didn't start ordering Axial-Flows with AHHC until 2300 series, nobody used AHHC around here until then....no soybeans, no flexheads. AHHC wasn't even standard on machines until 99-2000 model 23s.

Accumulators around here were pretty common on 1460s and newer/bigger combines. We generally run bigger heads out here than in the corn belt. Guys wanted accumulators to take the "bounce" out of a big header/feeder house if you got going at a faster speed.

FWIW, the accumulator on a 2100 series AF is utilized at only one time....when the header is all the way up. There's a whisker switch on the LH side of the feeder that turns the solenoid for the accumulator off/on when the feeder is all the way up. Lot of complaints about that....so the 23xx series put the on/off control under the armrest cover and then you could adjust the accumulator right outside the door.

FWIW, I can remember selling 6 new 2388s when they first came out to an operation about 2 hours west of here. No rock traps...standard rotors...no choppers on all their machines. Probably saved them well over $100K at that time by ordering them that way. All they ever did with them was wheat and sunflowers...and West River in SD means NO rocks...so they ordered their machines accordingly.

A dealer about an hour NW of here sold several early Flagship combines(8010s/8120s) with no variable-speed feeder houses. All they were going to do was run MacDon heads...so the variable-speed feeders are locked out on them anyway. They actually did run corn heads with them.....they were just like an older Axial-Flow where you had to change sprockets on the corn head if you needed to chnge header speeds.