G** D*** Deer

dads706

We started an orchard last year as a legacy for the kids and grandkids. I've been babying the apple trees and haven't lost a single one. Went out to the wood shop this morning and noticed what looked like a broken top on one of the trees so I walked down there to check. The F****** deer destroyed some apple trees. Broke off the main branches rubbing on them. I'm a landowner, it's time for the "shoot and shut up", open season has begun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dads706 said:

We started an orchard last year as a legacy for the kids and grandkids. I've been babying the apple trees and haven't lost a single one. Went out to the wood shop this morning and noticed what looked like a broken top on one of the trees so I walked down there to check. The F****** deer destroyed some apple trees. Broke off the main branches rubbing on them. I'm a landowner, it's time for the "shoot and shut up", open season has begun!

Just end the battle 20 96 12 fence will stop them.

They kill me too.  I haven't been seeing as many but they get caught in my spring gates and destroy them.  Just yesterday we found three destroyed. 

25 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Yes that is what the orchards and tree nurseries do here.

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

It's only money, right?

Correct and not mine.  Can't imagine what they spent. 

53 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It's only money, right?

Yes but over the years in time spent  in chasing deer. Replacing trees  buying new trees... etc that fence starts to look cheap..

I've got about 20 apple trees on my place, set them out a couple years ago and had he!! with the deer. Last spring, we got our dog and she seems to keep them run off. So you might think about getting an outside dog (my Sam is a Mtn. Cur, but any other good dog ought to do). My dad also had trouble with deer rubbing the ornamental trees he'd set out along his drive way. He bought some 5' woven wire, and made cages to go around them. If you've not got too many, that might be another easy way to stop them. Otherwise, an automatic shotgun loaded with your preferred buckshot load will be your best bet. 

Mac

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

at 3.50 per foot that spendy not to mention the work and posts required - in missouri you can get a damage permit and are allow to harvest deer due to damage - I have obtained a couple not sure if IA does that or not. You are allowed to use spotlights, bait and can shoot at night. 

they do not like my electric fence around my garden or all the white flags i put up blowing in the wind, not sure that would work for such a large area but pretty cheap to install

Shoot the big one who is polishing his horns and that will end it. When we were on the river, the boss lady had a bunch of ornamental trees. She put a hit out on the deer that was destroying her trees. Me living there, always waited until the out of area hunters filled their tags, other than that year. I was going to sleep in, but my wife was sure that Rambo, as she called the buck, would show up at the same time, even with a dozen hunters in the yard. He was 10 minutes late, and I had to put jeans on to make sure he was dead. Shot him out the front door while I was in my skivies! 
We had dogs, but they and the deer were friends evidently. Squeek wouldn’t chase a deer on his own, but would take a decent sized one down and hold it for me. 

• Like 1