Hello from Alaska(500 dozer Qs)

Twolines

New guy here with questions about 500 dozers...

I have read through most all of the posts in the construction forum but didnt come across much to help me make a decision.

So... i went to look at a 70s dodge d300 with a 12ft flat/dump bed..easy decision on that for 500. Got to talking with the guy discussing our addiction to old iron of various types and uses when he tells me if you like that stuff dont look around the back side of the building... i looked and among the various units and parts i spyed a very good condition little dozer(500 gas).

Ive been looking for a small dozer for some time and this seemed to fill the hole quite nicely. Hes asking 3500$. We fired it up and i put it through the motions. 6 way blade checked out and it went fwd back left and right. One snag with left turn is it didnt go easily with the lever like the right...right seemed quicker and smoother.

I have looked into the parts game with this machine and understand. My biggest issue with this seems to be the UC, while the unit im looking at appears in good shape, i know things will need replaced at some point. I guess the question is, is it worth it? ANYthing up here is expensive and im getting used to it. It would be used around my property with the occasional journey to a friends place.

Ill be going past his place tomorrow and will try to post some pics while im there...my internet is spotty at best. 

Thanks

I would give Empire tractor parts in NY a call. Since you have to ship anything anyway, they have been super helpful, you might try calling Winmill Equipment in Rutland VT, they are the Dressta dealer locally,  Reggie is their parts man and could likely answer some questions for you, he does like to talk if you get him going, and I know he has a couple of 500 dozers himself. 500 were a nice little dozer, IMO it was a much nicer unit than the Deere competition, and probably no scarcer to get parts for. When it comes to “worth it” questions, that is an answer you have to answer for yourself, dozers are tough to justify for many as most need so much  to make them functional. Usually they get parked, or sold when the cost of repairs becomes so high it isn’t justifiable to the company that bought them for real work, then they get kicked from dreamer to dreamer who buys them for this little project or that one while not doing a stitch of repair for the same reason the original owners didn’t. 
personally however, i am a sucker for a dozer. 

https://www.empiretractorparts.com

E1613E34-8636-4294-AEC6-F1398DB00A3E.png

The parts situation is likely much worse than you think, talking about undercarriage specifically. I know when I bought my track loader I thought I was going in with my eyes wide open. I figured the parts were out there, it would just take a while to find them. I don’t know about the 500 situation exactly, but there is absolutely no more parts for mine. I looked forever for a set of bottom rollers for mine, called every place that anyone gave me a number for. Finally gave up and I’m now in the process of adapting Cat rollers on, slowly. Maybe someone can comment about a 500 experience they’ve had recently. I have called Dressta a few times on mine and they have never been able to help. The guys were knowledgeable and knew what they were doing, there just isn’t much support left for IH. 

Akwelder im an hr south of fairbanks.

In town now...ill be stopping by the dozer lacation to snap some pics here in an hr or so.

good lookin dozer. You might try PIVOT EQUIPMENT LLC and see if they can get uc parts,--they had tracks,bolts, rollers,etc. for my Case 310-g which is about as obsolete as you can get.

If you contact PIVOT,-- ask for Jordan Troutman,---he knows his stuff!

Will do, thanks sonny!

Looks really clean, U/C Looks good for what pics show, the boss have a big purse full of money 💰

• Haha 1

UC doesn't look bad from what I can see.  It runs and operates.  You can *probably* get more than $3000 worth of work out of it before its scrap... I'd be tempted to take a chance on it, knowing that when the UC is done, the machine is done.

You really need the opinion of @louie figone.  He could tell you what specifically to check on this model. 

Lol! Yes boss approves. She just asks if she can drive the stuff i buy..i say yes and she never takes me up on it.

It is a ih 500 gas littered.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, ill look into the references given. 

27 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

UC doesn't look bad from what I can see.  It runs and operates.  You can *probably* get more than $3000 worth of work out of it before its scrap... I'd be tempted to take a chance on it, knowing that when the UC is done, the machine is done.

You really need the opinion of @louie figone.  He could tell you what specifically to check on this model. 

@mike newman can keep it running forever. You just need more welding rod. If you want to keep it running, there’s a way. 

• Like 2

I like this newman guys style...similar to mine. 

Glad we interpreted the pics correctly 

It could have gone the other way

If you think your buying this you can kiss my a$$

Seriously for something 50 yrs old that was designed to rip and bash its really clean 

Good to see the inspector general approves! I know nothing about dozers but I do know where there is a will there is a way. However fabrication and adaptation can take a lot of time. But if you like to do it and can make the time I would think you could keep these old girls going for a long time especially as use will most likely be limited. As compared to when they were new and the main horse. Hopefully this one has enough life left you can get some use out of it before you have to worry about too many parts and fabricating.

its clean and gently WELL !, used because it a 50 yr old ,weekender toy in alaska

if you have deep pockets for 2x a month light use, proceed

any thing more consult with at least 3 owners that actually use a 500 of this series

Had plans to use it on our property...need to maintain an old road in the woods, some grading projects, a berm project and maybe yank a few logs out of the woods for the mill. The guy wants 3500$ for it. Not much up here between 5k and down and 30k and up. I do have a new utility tractor and could very well and do use it for said projects...but some things a dozer is just better suited for was my thought. Thanks for your input btw..i was actually kind of hoping for the good and bad.