5488 flywheel specs

Mike56073

Working on a rattle that developed in my 5488. It would only happen under a load, and only over 2,100 rpms. Upon splitting it, I found the flex plate springs and cups  were hitting the flywheel.  I got a new flywheel from hy-capacity, and it measures almost the same as the one I took out.  I looked at a CaseIH one today, and it’s the same as well. I bolted the new one up with some clay inbetween to check clearance, and it’s .020” at the most.

So now I’m wondering if someone in the past has machined the flywheel for whatever reason.  The problem I have is my blue ribbon service manual doesn’t give flywheel specs for any of the tractors that use a flex plate. Are the specs available?

F0FFECC6-C5C6-4D1B-A9E4-2F5C38ED24DE.jpeg

1D12FAE6-E097-4419-B152-A4FF2D8576FA.jpeg

0A24BAC3-EAD7-4741-BE38-A775FF5E9C72.jpeg

Is the clutch disc in the right way? usually the cushion springs face backward 

17 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

You can’t actually install a disk backwards can you? I’d think it would set 3/8”-3/4” of an inch Out? And would be pretty hard to start the bolts. 

Yeah I don’t know you could put it on backwards, either.  There’s no way it would sit flat against the flywheel.

I had the same scenario when I had my 5488 apart this summer, after much head scratching, I put on a reman flex plate and put it back together. It had been in there for 3,500 hard hours and really looked okay still.

Looks like the clutch manufacturers hub does not follow the OEM spec of flush fit on the flywheel side.  I would be looking for a different disc or be contacting the clutch manufacturer.

My 5288 is split right now for other reasons. The measurement from the back surface of the installed flex plate is 1.115" to the back surface of the flywheel. 

KIMG1570.thumb.JPG.f890915be3be2f28811e56b46afed186.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

To close this thread out, i ended reusing the flywheel with a new flex plate.  When I bolted the two together the springs were basically touching the flywheel already, so my machinist took .040” off that flywheel step to make a little more clearance.

I used the tractor all day yesterday, and the tractor is quiet again.