American manufacturer expanding

vtfireman85

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

Wish 100,000 other companies had the “Made in America or it’s not made” mentality. 

Careful what you wish for. 

After the end of WWI we, the US that is became isolationist. By then we were selling a lot of goods overseas. All of a sudden, in the mid 20's we stopped buying foreign things where we could. Call it the Buy American round 1. The foreign countries retaliated by not buying American made goods. Factory orders dropped and companies started trying to collect from investors what was owed. Result? The collapse of Wall Street and the Great Depression. We still export a lot of things. Now there are certain things that should be made in the US but all of those things revolve around nation defense. That includes computer parts and chips needed for weapon systems. Another down side to only buying American is a lot of labor overseas is cheap. Increase the cost of producing and you increase the end price of those manufactured good. The result is called inflation. Inflation increases too much and you have a recession. 

Right now everyone is hiring. Just a lot of people are refusing to work.

Rick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank H said:

I am willing to pay more for USA made.

I would also, but at what cost? Everyone has their limit. 15 years ago I was looking for a HD drill press which could handle a 2'' bit.   Grizzly was $3,400.00  i was willing to pay a few thousand more for USA made. Found a similar model USA made for $12,500.00  I couldn't justify it. No regrets with a Grizzly. More recently spent $8,000 on Wright tools. Always bought Craftsman till the China was stamped on them.

I'm all for world wide bilateral trade but I am concerned that some critical parts, such as reflected in the current chip shortage, are primarily made overseas.  Since a large part of the process is automated they can be made in the US. They'll be more expensive but I would bet manufacturers would be willing to pay a lot more to free up a backlog of equipment.

Intel is spending 20 Billion for new capacity in AZ.

• Like 1

In our neck of the woods, furniture manufacturers reign king, along with Jasper Engines.

there was one particular part needed, a flat bracket if I recall, that one factory needed to build cabinets. It was being made in China, stuck in a boat now, effectively shutting down four to five plants down the line since cabinets couldn’t be assembled.

so they had us cut and paint 5000 of these brackets at a price slightly higher then what they were paying.

i think it used to be the cheap crap that USA was “above” got made overseas, now it’s dang near everything due to our labor being higher, and all the rules placed on businesses.

i don’t know the link but I’m sure if you google “Mike Rowe, safety third” it’s a very interesting piece he put together. 
not really related to the above, just neat

I am not real concerned with buying only American made. I just want quality!!

I used to think we should not import anything, but I have changed my mind. We either have to import the product or the labor. You sure can’t get the average American to work, and if they do it is extremely shoddy work!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

You sure can’t get the average American to work, and if they do it is extremely shoddy work!!

Sad, isn't it...........

• Like 1