Jump to content

Tire debate..


vtfireman85
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sound ridiculous, but, I had a set of those master crafts (ATX?) on a truck two years ago as well. Purchased for the price, And for the price they were good but I would not put them on par with the other quality tires I have been mentioned here. I only ran that one winter and then that vehicle was sold, part of the reason I put those tires on it to begin with.  I look at those duratrac knock of Kanati’s on eBay from time to time, because they certainly look similar and the price is certainly cheap but I have experience here as well as I have a coworker who put them on a jeep pick up, one of those modern expensive jeep truck things, and a buddy that put them on his F350 plow  truck, neither of them made it 20,000 miles. They just melted away, but considering they only cost half as much as a duratrac that is lucky to last 40k, I suppose that’s reasonable.   I don’t drive on half worn tires.  So I buy a lot of them. The used ones ones sell fast on craiglist. I just got $400 for my used BFG’s.  Yet I couldn’t give away my stock Michelin’s, taken of an F350 the week it was new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can probably just scroll through the pictures on this phone and find pictures our different trucks sporting everyone of those tires, if you guys are interested. Just saying some guys have actual tire experience with the actual tires in question, where other guys may be referencing generic experience with the brand 

E45CA4E2-95B0-4FC7-9B58-6274723F9A61.png

DA37F559-700E-4243-83DB-F3B49DFFAA2C.jpeg

64DD9837-D06A-4925-ADC6-4AEE0251DF65.jpeg

EAB7F9BC-757B-4660-869D-5A0B8BBAB718.jpeg

76DCD218-C93D-465C-A998-CEF49ECE8460.jpeg

FABF7BD7-E114-4BB1-9923-45BC0B196396.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have tried a lot of different brands over the years. 

Some that people here just love, did not work for me. 

Some that I really like but can't get any more.

The tire I buy for my dually and 3/4 ton is the Firestone Transforce AT.

Good combination of traction on snow and ice, sand and good wear on pavement(usually 50 to 60 thousand miles).

Quiet and good riding tire. Run 60# of air in the F250 and 65 rear 70 front on the dually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a friendly reminder to keep political discussions out of this topic. As for tires I'm having a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's put on my truck tomorrow. I'm disappointed that the Firestone Transforce AT's didn't last longer than 45,000 miles.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those two tires right there, from what I’ve seen when they came from the factory on my trucks, are very comparable.   And they come on lots of Ford’s and Rams, so new takeoffs abundant. 

the traditional Firestone AT’s are not available in many of the  over sized sizes, but I’d agree they are a good all around tire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Sound ridiculous, but, I had a set of those master crafts (ATX?) on a truck two years ago as well. Purchased for the price, And for the price they were good but I would not put them on par with the other quality tires I have been mentioned here.....

I agree, not going to claim they are the best tires out there.  But they are a good value tire.  If cost was no object I'd probably go with Michelin or Goodrich.  Used to be a huge Goodyear fan but gave up on them 20 years ago or so.  Two sets of car tires and one set of truck tires with poor traction and tread life at a premium price soured me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

This is a friendly reminder to keep political discussions out of this topic. As for tires I'm having a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's put on my truck tomorrow. I'm disappointed that the Firestone Transforce AT's didn't last longer than 45,000 miles.  

I'm okay with that. Amazing how things get sidetracked in just a few lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually sent the OP an apology for things getting sidetracked a few hours ago.  I was merely defending myself from being belittled by another poster. (Which is how I perceived it) Didn’t know there was anything political about it.  My apologies. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

This is a friendly reminder to keep political discussions out of this topic. As for tires I'm having a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's put on my truck tomorrow. I'm disappointed that the Firestone Transforce AT's didn't last longer than 45,000 miles.  

You are POd at 45,000 miles? I gotta ask why? I got 45,000 kms out of my yoko's and was happy, carry weight on average 13,000 lbs at 75 to 80 psi, if I get the same out of these new AT tires I'm happy, when I changed the factory set the wear bar still had not shown, about 1/8th inch to go, about the same for the second set, one wear bar was showing on an inside dool, with the weight and terrain I don't like going to far.

Did you upgrade your fuel cleaning system? I went to FASS and the outside lift pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I actually sent the OP an apology for things getting sidetracked a few hours ago.  I was merely defending myself from being belittled by another poster. (Which is how I perceived it) Didn’t know there was anything political about it.  My apologies. 

No belittling, not political, I've also communicated with Seth. My apologies as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

to be non political, Seth go with the circular tires, they seem to roll best vs the square chiseled ones - I am sorry for anything I said that hurt anyones feelings or caused stress regarding goodyear 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I actually sent the OP an apology for things getting sidetracked a few hours ago.  I was merely defending myself from being belittled by another poster. (Which is how I perceived it) Didn’t know there was anything political about it.  My apologies. 

Dang, I’m late. I missed all the excitement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry to much about what the next guy will think if your gonna sell it before these are done. No matter what you buy one guy will love them and the next will hate them. They may both have good reasons for the way they feel or no reason at all. 

 Can't offer too much advice on what's good other than to say I put kuhmos? On my last truck and swapped them onto my current truck when I bought it. Tho I don't drive a truck much usually.  They seem to do decent in snow and not bad in mud either.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have cooper atx3 or whatever they are on several trucks at work, I have them in my duramax 3/4 ton.

i like them. They are quiet, seem to have decent wear on pavement /gravel roads, relatively cheaper than others.

the go to tire it replaced around here was BFG a/t’s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dasnake said:

You are POd at 45,000 miles? I gotta ask why? I got 45,000 kms out of my yoko's and was happy, carry weight on average 13,000 lbs at 75 to 80 psi, if I get the same out of these new AT tires I'm happy, when I changed the factory set the wear bar still had not shown, about 1/8th inch to go, about the same for the second set, one wear bar was showing on an inside dool, with the weight and terrain I don't like going to far.

Did you upgrade your fuel cleaning system? I went to FASS and the outside lift pump.

I had the Transforce AT's on my '06 and got almost 60,000 miles out of them. My 2018 is bone stock. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

This is a friendly reminder to keep political discussions out of this topic. As for tires I'm having a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2's put on my truck tomorrow. I'm disappointed that the Firestone Transforce AT's didn't last longer than 45,000 miles.  

I had the same experience with some Transforce ATs on my F250 at work.  I was pretty disappointed.  First set of Continentals went 60k. Looks like this set of Continentals will go further.  Always considered the Transforce an excellent tire, but it seems like they've changed something, and not in a good way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

I had the Transforce AT's on my '06 and got almost 60,000 miles out of them. My 2018 is bone stock. 

Reason I asked is I've been reading late model rams are having pump failures, with mine being an 2007 I decided even at 8 to 9 pounds still I went to the FASS at an even 16 pounds, the old pump stayed in the tank and we used the fass sump so I didn't have the bulkhead 1/4 tank problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Dang, I’m late. I missed all the excitement. 

Nah. Nothing too exciting. The wheels on the bus go round and round...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Nah. Nothing too exciting. The wheels on the bus go round and round...

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

awwlll night long I’ve been singing “the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, awwwwlllll day longgggg.

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Reason I asked is I've been reading late model rams are having pump failures, with mine being an 2007 I decided even at 8 to 9 pounds still I went to the FASS at an even 16 pounds, the old pump stayed in the tank and we used the fass sump so I didn't have the bulkhead 1/4 tank problem.

The 2019 and 2020 model years are the ones having CP4 pumps that explode internally. My 2018 is still a CP3. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been running BFG AT’s on the same roads, same weight trucks, for 25 years.  New ones come with less tread, don’t last 2/3 as long, and cost a lot more.  I put 58k on the first year “Good year silent armors with Kevlar” back when they first came out, in ‘06 I believe. Maybe 08.  They were -The- best tire I’ve ever had. Tried to order two more sets two years later and my tire guy said “don’t bother….they just took about 90% of the Kevlar out of them”, and he was right. He had customers complaining about the new models and he didn’t want me in that situation.  
I'm going to try a set of Falken Widpeak AT’s next.  Wanted them last week but they were two weeks out of inventory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I’ve been running BFG AT’s on the same roads, same weight trucks, for 25 years.  New ones come with less tread, don’t last 2/3 as long, and cost a lot more.  I put 58k on the first year “Good year silent armors with Kevlar” back when they first came out, in ‘06 I believe. Maybe 08.  They were -The- best tire I’ve ever had. Tried to order two more sets two years later and my tire guy said “don’t bother….they just took about 90% of the Kevlar out of them”, and he was right. He had customers complaining about the new models and he didn’t want me in that situation.  
I'm going to try a set of Falken Widpeak AT’s next.  Wanted them last week but they were two weeks out of inventory. 

We sold a bunch of those Falkens when I was at the co-op.  For the price compared to a Michelin, BFG, Firestone, people really liked them.  Sold a bunch to the highway department one year for their F250 and F350 plow trucks.  I think they liked them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...