466 engine

hardknocks

Does anybody know the difference between the 466B 467B. And the 466c engines. And is the internals the same from a truck engine  my 5488 engine went down. And trying find one. But everyplace I called doesn’t know if internals are same.  

There recently was a thread about this. Conclusion was that fitting a truck 466 in a tractor wasnt a really good solution. You basically need to strip halve of the engine to replace the specific truck parts with tractor parts. Internals, I dont know but I would think that they are the same/similar

Anything 1993 or earlier is the "right" block to fit the tractor.  Not sure how that plays into the 466/467/B/C thing.

We put a 360 truck engine in the 756 probably close to 20 years ago. The hardest part was finding the parts because of the limited selection of farm tractors that used a D360. Front cover had to come from a D312 or D360 to fit the engine. Rear adapter is the same as any 400 series. Seems to me that putting a 466 truck engine into a 5488 would be a whole lot less work than that was, and that wasn't all that bad.

dt466b series had the rotary pump ambac 100 and larger flat cam followers than the a series the dt466c have the bosch MW inline injection pump and roller cam followers they also have a larger engine oil pump thus a larger pickup tube they also used 15w40 engine oil in them (at least in 1990 which is what our manual said) they also have wider mains and connecting rod bearings as well If I recall correctly anyway. For us it was worth the swap but as said almost everything has to be swapped between the truck and the tractor motor.The only things that don't have to be done are removing the head or valve cover unless you pull the camshaft with out the motor tipped on its side it is a decent amount of work but can be done.

2 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

I always wondered way IH put an intercooler on a 185 horsepower 466 as the truck engine would be as high as 210 before they would finally put one on.

More power for same  fuel. California truck engines would have coolers must be an emissions thing. My Dad had a Deere 4555 MFD  I installed a cooler left pump setting the same, it picked up 25HP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

I always wondered way IH put an intercooler on a 185 horsepower 466 as the truck engine would be as high as 210 before they would finally put one on.

A 5488 was/is rated at 187 PTO hp, which would translate to roughly 220 or so flywheel HP

• Like 1

So does the roller cam motor have the same grind as a flat tappet  it’s just roller.  Because roller would be a better option.  And what about heads  does the intercooled engine have a different  flowing head.   My engine is a inline pump   

13 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

What’s wrong with the current engine?

Moving to another field it started smoking and lost all power. And pretty much quit.  An it set overnight and lost all water to pan.  The temp gauge started climbing and it got hot.  I’ve noticed all spring it seemed to be losing power.  And the oil pressure was lower than what it normally would run.  I don’t have time to send to machine shop and then go over crank and clean block.  Was thinking just get a reman. And swap out  tractor wouldn’t be down as long.   It is my tillage tractor. 

12 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

Duty cycle. A tractor engine is run at full output for hours on end. A truck engine is under load during acceleration but once a steady state speed is reached, it takes very little of the engine's output to maintain speed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hardknocks said:

So does the roller cam motor have the same grind as a flat tappet  it’s just roller.  Because roller would be a better option.  And what about heads  does the intercooled engine have a different  flowing head.   My engine is a inline pump   

Your engine is most likely a c series then if it has the inline pump however it could have been changed to the inline as well. The late 5488 were equipped with the c series motor. I am not sure if the grind is the same but I know a b series valve cover will not fit a c series. I think the intercooled head is the same as a turbocharged head the naturally aspirated head is different though. If I recall correctly the block should say 468 on the side if it is a c series.

3 hours ago, hardknocks said:

roller cams are nice for big power but a regular flat tappet will do all you want and more. head wise the turbo equipped farm equipment was all about the same intercooled or not, some of the trucks had a head that flowed better then others in the early 90's and i believe the intakes flow better but again this is all for high HP. Anyone that's owned a 400 series knows they can pack a lot of punch before doing anything wild

Three different heads...well, technically 6 different heads...

Old style Naturally Aspirated...p/n 680427C1

Old style Turbo Non "B" or "C" engines...p/n 680426C1

Old style Turbo "B" engine... p/n 688833C1

New style Naturally Aspirated...p/n 680427C2

New style Turbo Non "B" or "C" engine...p/n 680426C2

New style Turbo "B" and "C" engine...p/n 688833C2

Part # is between the #4 and #5 injectors.

Travis