GMC 5000 Truck

ThePunisher

I can’t say I’ve ever paid any attention to these, but there is a early 70’s GMC 5000 with a 292 six near my mother in laws. Are they ok trucks? It has a working dump box with a new floor and is asking a reasonable price. Thoughts?

I cannot say specifically, but GM medium duty trucks are sort of orphans. Some stuff is okay if it was sourced elsewhere by GM if it was a GM part like motor mounts, or anything like that particular to the medium duties you are largely out of luck. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

I can’t say I’ve ever paid any attention to these, but there is a early 70’s GMC 5000 with a 292 six near my mother in laws. Are they ok trucks? It has a working dump box with a new floor and is asking a reasonable price. Thoughts?

The engine and trans is the same that the early pickups used. The input shaft could be bigger but trans is the same. The rear end would be a Chevy product if it has the vacuum 2 speed . As with most old trucks parts are non existent for rear end. Or brake stuff but if you hunt or scrounge you find stuff. A gmc 5000  a ton and half truck as they describe. They made a series of trucks I think it was 4000, 5000 6000 but there were 4500,5500, 6500 7000 and 7500.

• Thanks 1

I know some people love those old six cylinders, but in my opinion they are completely useless. We have a 1969 C50 Chevrolet truck that came with a 292 originally. It was thrown in the ditch many, many years ago and replaced with a 350 engine. That 350 has more power with the truck loaded than the 292 did when the truck was empty.  I certainly wouldn’t plan on moving much of a load with that truck unless you’ve got all day to do it. Those 292 engines should have never been in anything larger than a 1/2 ton truck. Same goes for the Ford 300. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Dirt. The 292 will move the truck but not fast.

I have a C60 with a 350, 5+2, that does ok but is working hard with 5-7 yards of gravel on it.

That truck probably has a single brake system so all of your hoses should be replaced and the steel lines rust free. My C60 is single system and I had replaced all the hoses but still had a steel line go. Luckily it happened when tipping the load and attempting to get the tail board to slam.

I found brakes for it but it takes a little searching. I've had no problem finding any other parts for it (1979).

I've got a C70 with an 8.2 Detroit, that's a whole 'nother story😁

7 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Same goes for the Ford 300

Now ya did it, ripping on the Ford 300-6. I had the 93 Ford econoline extended cargo van for service calls. Great engine 205K miles and still running strong, body was falling off of it though. That engine was awesome. The operating procedure 

1. Open door

2. Insert hand

3. Slam door as hard as possible with hand still in it

4. Open door, while still good and mad

5. Jump in and start truck

6. Put in gear and put it to the floor

7. Drive the van all day with accelerator on the floor just to get anywhere reasonably fast.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

UPS ran those old 300's for years,until they added more pollution junk than the motor could pull.

My grandmother had a relative (cousin or something) that was a mechanic for I believe FedEx, said they had 300’s and 460’s, the 460’s would be in 10:1 for repairs over the 300’s eventually they pulled the 460’s and put in 300’s… I bet they had some P.Oed drivers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaredT said:

Now ya did it, ripping on the Ford 300-6. I had the 93 Ford econoline extended cargo van for service calls. Great engine 205K miles and still running strong, body was falling off of it though. That engine was awesome. The operating procedure 

1. Open door

2. Insert hand

3. Slam door as hard as possible with hand still in it

4. Open door, while still good and mad

5. Jump in and start truck

6. Put in gear and put it to the floor

7. Drive the van all day with accelerator on the floor just to get anywhere reasonably fast.

That is as good of an instruction list on how to drive those six cylinders as I have ever heard.

years ago I had a 1600 Loadstar 345 5x2 and borrowed a Chev 60 with a 292 5x2 The v8 pulled the hillss and left the 292 behind but on the flat the Chevey would pull away from the Loadstar . Guy remarked the Chevey was a Texas truck Strong on flat country

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at you guys. You act like all trucks where made to keep up with a modern semi with 650 hp.

As a kid I got put in a 48 Ford F6 with the old flat head V8. Or if I was lucky the 49 with a 289 trans plant. An this country has real hills. Any time you made the 18 miles to town and then back again, with the old trucks was good trip.

I never put a lot of miles on a 292, but was never that much slower than 350. I was never impressed by a 366 that many thought was so much more than a 350.

The Loadstar I lucked into with a 404 it has rather impressed me. It goes and is not using enough more gas than any of the rest. Other than the odometer is broke with 150,000 mile I know nothing about the old beast.  Other than the juice brakes have done very little to it.

From comments on here over the years it seems parts are a bit of a hunt for any brand today once they are over 20 years old. With luck it will haul for you for years. If your luck is bad well none of the old trucks will make you happy.

I think of old trucks this way:

Faster than a tractor of the era, 50-55 MPH empty beats 15-20 MPH

Enclosed cab with heat beats open station

Suspension and bench seat beats tractor pan seat. 

Brakes. 

Modern pickup truck pulling a gooseneck has largely replaced medium duty farm trucks here. 

• Like 1

The 292 is a tough six cylinder.

Would I want to drive one to the coast, NO!

But as a use it once in awhile and move a few loads of this and that, they work great.

Just don't be in a big hurry?

For a cheap knock around truck, it will do you great.

Parts can be found for brakes and you can always find used, if you need to.

A friend just resurrected an old truck like this with a 350 in it.

Finding exhaust gaskets was hard and had to be ordered.

E-bay usually has what the parts store don't stock.

1 hour ago, ray54 said:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at you guys. You act like all trucks where made to keep up with a modern semi with 650 hp.

I would counter that with an observation that some engines were better than others by far. Fast forward a fee years, the 366 didn't have enough power to pull a sick whore off a pi$$ pot, the 427 was a decent engine. I always marvel that with all the 366’s in school busses it is a wonder anyone made it to school on time. 

I was meaning none of the old gas engines where going get you there fast. And I never had the privilege of driving 427, but would hope it is as good if not better than the 404 I do have experience with. I have drive 2 more less the same GMC's one year apart in age and the 366 was no different than the 350.

Help a friend retrieve a dead TD 9  with blade. He had KW with Cummins 335 a  short tilt bed trailer and a 10+ ton of Cat D6. We pushed the TD 9 on the Loadstar ( my guess is about 8 t). He thought he could run off and leave the old gas engine truck, did not happen. I could keep just fine.  

22 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I was meaning none of the old gas engines where going get you there fast. And I never had the privilege of driving 427, but would hope it is as good if not better than the 404 I do have experience with. I have drive 2 more less the same GMC's one year apart in age and the 366 was no different than the 350.

Help a friend retrieve a dead TD 9  with blade. He had KW with Cummins 335 a  short tilt bed trailer and a 10+ ton of Cat D6. We pushed the TD 9 on the Loadstar ( my guess is about 8 t). He thought he could run off and leave the old gas engine truck, did not happen. I could keep just fine.  

427 tall deck was night and day over the 366, had both in a 76 C65 with a 5+2 trans. Smiths hill is a super steep hill locally, with the backhoe on if you hit it just right you could pull the hill in 1 low if you didn’t you had to back all the way down(no small accomplishment) and unload the hoe, drive it to the top and walk back for the truck then reload, with the 427 .030 over i could do it in 2 high consistently. 

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

I think this may also apply to anything with a two stroke Detroit.  

As well as anything with a 3208 cat.

• Haha 1

The first ever truck my uncles bought for the farm was a 1948 Brockway. I believe the engine was a 291 Continental and the transmission was a 4 speed. It was totally gutless but was better than the horses they'd  been using before the war.

I picked up wood shavings with it from the small furniture manufacturers in Boston and Cambridge Massachusetts. With a full load of wood shavings I'd hit the Route 2 hill climbing through Arlington, MA at full speed -almost 60MPH! about 50' up the hill I'd be in 1st grinding along at 15.

That truck had a remote brake booster much like my C60 except it had an interminable delay between brake application and stopping. I was pulling out from Lexington Street in Waltham onto main with a load of, I think,  hay and a green light - slowly. I could see the red light runner coming for what seemed like an hour and was pressing on the brake for all I was worth but he hit me anyway. I forget what the car was but the whole right side was ripped off. The Brockway had some scratches.

I liked that old truck. No power steering but a huge wheel that took about, maybe 100 turns lock to lock. 4 speed so first was low but not quite a creeper. It was about the slowest thing I've ever driven but reliable.

Brockway eventually was bought by Mack and I think it was a union strike that finally did it in.

• Like 1

A c50 with the 6 is OK for local work with moderate loads. Haul 4 tons of gravel instead of 8 and you should ok. Plan on cleaning the fuel system, installing new points/etc and working on the brakes.

The 366 has no more power than the 350 but it will last alot longer. Back when everyone ran straight trucks here the chevy grain trucks with 350s were always breaking down. The 366 were tough and much more reliable. We pull some steep grades coming up out of this valley and work a truck.

The international engines held up best but the body gave more trouble (doors, etc)

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Dad's GMC 6500 needed a windshield wiper motor this spring.  The dealer, NAPA, etc. struggled to find one.  Finally installed one last week, so it will finally pass DOT inspection. 

I had a similar issue and found the pickup motor, although a different P/N, bolted right in.

• Thanks 1

I ran 292 and 300's---- nuttin wrong with them----granted you wont pull 80,000 pounds up a 45 degree grade at 70 mph but there is no need for that. Use them with common sence and you will be fine. As for the 350,--good motors BUT no more power or economy than the 292 PLUS totally dead on the low end! ----4,000 rpm just to move a load instead of 1500 rpm on the 6's.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:26 PM, TractormanMike.mb said:

As well as anything with a 3208 cat.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:59 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Can confirm 

Yes that is indeed   correct.....as the new operator found in the beautiful old  conventional IH that I mentioned on another post.....549  to 3308...removed any previous ''bragging rights ''....at the first of many hills....

Mike