Cleaning gum out of my loadstar gas tank

acem

I know it is a gas tank, but that stuff is so old it probably does not produce combustible fumes.  How about filling it half way with water, add a small bottle of Dawn and set the tank on the coals from a small fire to get the water boiling?  Maybe it is not a good idea, but I throw it out there for comment.  If the indians could boil water oer an open fire in birch bark containers, you ought to be able to boil it in that as long as the flames don't touch part that is not filled with water (i.e. the flames only touch the part that is under water).

1 hour ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I know it is a gas tank, but that stuff is so old it probably does not produce combustible fumes.  How about filling it half way with water, add a small bottle of Dawn and set the tank on the coals from a small fire to get the water boiling?  Maybe it is not a good idea, but I throw it out there for comment.  If the indians could boil water oer an open fire in birch bark containers, you ought to be able to boil it in that as long as the flames don't touch part that is not filled with water (i.e. the flames only touch the part that is under water).

It would be worth a try.

Get a good charcoal fire going and try it.

Heat will melt that tar from the old gas.

Be ready to dump out the original water and then to rinse 3-4 times with good hot water.

We need a report back on this method.

locals go to a radiator repair shop (where that's got to be a rare place these days) and get a tank "boiled out" with reported good success.  i've not done it, but my old M tank needs it.  

cool truck, btw.  i look for those locally, but down this far south any dump bed is worth a lot more than further north.  friend of mine has a IH traveler with a 345 in it.  seems like a good pulling engine.  

when i was in high school at Christmas time we were collecting toys for the poor. Well some of the boys and i was in on it this old 1 ton 47 dodge 1 ton was in there a kid in another class was working on. Well we were putting those little cars in the gas tank filler and let them go and they would roll down and "ploop" we had a traffic jam and ended up getting in trouble and had to remove the tank and we shook all them cars out the fill hole and the gauge hole. There was a lot of crap in it but he had driven it in to the Ag Shop so we probably just did him a favor.

If you do get it to running put some little bitty cars in there and they will roll around and help clean the road for yo

Use nuts , bolts , ball bearings, and paint thinner , strap to tractor wheel and go on  tractor drive. Then clean with water then dump tank bolts and such can be removed with magnet. Rocks will not stick to mGnet. It works 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, Rawleigh99 said:

Funny story about that method of thinking. Cousin bought a farm with an old house that we decided to push in and burn. In the yard layed an old metal gas tank full of gas that was probably a decade or more old. Didn't even have much of a smell to it. We dumped it on the wood and watched it run down into the basement into a puddle. I lit a old book and tossed it onto the gas, and nothing. Waited a while and nothing. Finally got enough courage to go look and there layed that book burning in a puddle of gasoline. Huh I said, that old $hit wont even burn. About that time KAWHOOM as the flash went around my body quicker than you could say whoah. After I got done rolling down the hill and figured out I was alive yet, I said never again. Old gas, new gas, diesel mixed with gas, whatever. Still flashes up.