Cleaning gum out of my loadstar gas tank

acem

I was having troubles with one of my loadstars and removed the gas tank.

It's not bad rusty but it's got gum, dirt, trash in the bottom. I'm trying to remove it through the sending unit hole but it's not very productive. 

Any other way to get this stuff out?

Thx-Ace 

Fill it with a few handfuls of small stones, roughly 3/4” or smaller and tumble/roll the tank.  I have strapped tanks to a rear tractor wheel and driven around SLOWLY.  Rinse and repeat (literally) until the gunk is gone.  If you use water to rinse it out let the tank dry out in the sun to evaporate the water out of an opening.

DO NOT USE FLAMES OR ANY IGNITION SOURCE TO DRY OUT THE TANK!!!!

Get yourself some washing soda and look up rust removal using electrolysis. Have done several tanks over the years and it works quite well. Model T Ford tank was the oldest. It came out very clean and nice. Just be sure to make all the connections before connecting power and do it away from the tank.

Rust doesn't seem to be the problem. It's all gummed up. If I  put rocks in there it would make asphalt...

I'm thinking put gas ot alcohol in it. Shake like mad and suck it out.

Thx-Ace 

When I did the tank on the T it had ten plus years of old gas in it very gummy cleaned it right up. Also did tank from a 75 F350. That fuel had been in the tank over 20 years. Nothing but varnish. Hot water would not cut it loose. Couple of days with the washing soda and in both cases they were clean. It seems to break the bond that crap has. Will not cost you much to find out.

I've never seen gasoline make the tar-like gum on those funnels. Could something else have been poured in? Something fell in that dissolved? Sure looks a mess. Since it's not rust I would lean to some sort of solvent rather than the nuts/bolts/rocks.

I've had good luck with a motorcycle tank that was rusty with just vinegar, but that was just rust.

Put vinegar in it and let it soak for a while

I had a similar problem in the gas tank of my Oliver 77. It was a dark brown sticky residue almost like molasses. I took the tank off the tractor and used my hot water pressure washer on it. It still took quite a while to get clean, but it did get it out. I had the Water hot enough that it was steaming.

Fill it with ethanol gas that seems to dissolve everything else, get a plastic putty knife and piece of 1/2” pvc, notch the PVC to accept the handle of the putty knife. Couple screws to hold in place and commence to scraping 

If I had a working hot pressure washer or steam cleaner...

Molasses is a great description.

Here's a pic I took this morning. She's a 74 loadstar 1600 with a 345 and 5 speed. The yellow/black is special order for sunshine biscuit company, sunshine biscuit yellow! She was a fresh trade in when dad bought her in 80 and had the dump bed installed. We hauled grain with her to town for decades. Now she sometimes hauls rice to the bin but mostly hauls gravel, dirt, litter, etc with the short boards. Since the flood over two years ago she has stored metal parts that were evacuated from the flood. The odometer shows 150,xxx but hasn't worked in almost 40 years. I'd say she has 300,000 on her. The motor runs good but has a sound that I think is a badly worn piston.

Thx-Ace 

20211019_073426.jpg

• Like 3

Years ago I tried the gravel and water method on an R160 gas tank. Numerous attempts at it but eventually it just kept plugging inline filters to the point that i gave up on the original tank and installed a 6 gallon plastic "boat tank" in the cab. No more plugged filters after that and most jobs around the farm can be done on less than a tank full. 

4 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

You find that 856 side panel in there also Ace😁 I would try a steam cleaner,but i am kind of impatient, especially this time of year.

Beat me too it! 😆

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Fill it with ethanol gas that seems to dissolve everything else, get a plastic putty knife and piece of 1/2” pvc, notch the PVC to accept the handle of the putty knife. Couple screws to hold in place and commence to scraping 

5 gallons of e85 may do the trick.  Put that in, change it to the tractor tire and go for a long drive.

A few years ago had a truck gas tank that was like that tried every thing I could thank of some one suggested Dawn  dish soap so tried it let it set in hot sun for two days and the  crap for lack of a better word came out rinsed wit clean gas still works.

YMMF

Salvage yard tank?? If it's just a yard truck maybe it would be easier to just strap something different in there??? Ours has a leak in the top of the tank for decades. You only fill it half way and use it like it's a brand new truck. Lol

Those step tanks are easy to come by really.