Winchester Mod 1897 fans

sandhiller

Always thought these shotties were pretty cool.

I have my grandpa's field grade.

But if I tried to load and shoot as fast as this young lady.

I would have eight bloody stumps for fingersūüėĄ

tumblr_cf7512ba9c9b601b783feb356bee798c_94386a02_400.gif.39258ac77c1f330ec0e1488be3668d53.gif

I know I just kicked the door open for a certain ******** *** **** ***** ************ *** who likes the old ratchet action boom sticks in obsolete calibres ( I even spelt it wrong just so you didn't have to struggle through the reading part even though I think you stopped at the video Mike )¬† Oops, gave it away‚ėĻÔłŹ.¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†ūüėĄ‚ėļÔłŹūü§†

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Had one years ago. Lots of fun. 18-1/2‚ÄĚ barrel with a full choke (threaded in) Forcing cone lengthened to shoot 2-3-4‚ÄĚ shells. I still kept the loads light. ¬†If the gun gives up the slide comes back at your face...

• Like 2

Yall remember the OK corral, the 140th anniversary is coming up in a few days, no context with this thread but I think that young lady would have Doc’s vote of approval for handling of a street sweeper.

• Like 3

If he has a problem with this one he can pound sand…meant in the most respectful tone Mr Sandhiller sir

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

If he has a problem with this one he can pound sand…meant in the most respectful tone Mr Sandhiller sir

It's all in good fun 

Just chummin the waters a bitūüėĄ

He has a very unique way of dropping words on a page that always makes me smile ūüėä

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Always thought these shotties were pretty cool.

I have my grandpa's field grade.

But if I tried to load and shoot as fast as this young lady.

I would have eight bloody stumps for fingersūüėĄ

tumblr_cf7512ba9c9b601b783feb356bee798c_94386a02_400.gif.39258ac77c1f330ec0e1488be3668d53.gif

I know I just kicked the door open for a certain ******** *** **** ***** ************ *** who likes the old ratchet action boom sticks in obsolete calibres ( I even spelt it wrong just so you didn't have to struggle through the reading part even though I think you stopped at the video Mike )¬† Oops, gave it away‚ėĻÔłŹ.¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†ūüėĄ‚ėļÔłŹūü§†

.......''old ratchet action  boom sticks..'''????...in obsolete   calibers.... Uhhmm    I see....Gheez, sandpaper...just how low can you go....??

There are several   ''Mike's ""   on this fine forum......I assume however, that this latest   attack  on classic  lever action   repeating American made Firearms , is  aimed , squarely , at me....and thus  my love of these classic  firearms is further ridiculed.....

It is a very subjective issue.......and I have a philosophical  overview of most firearms....except, of course ...the current craze for plastic ''leggo'' abominations, masquerading as ''boom sticks ''  (Quote...)...although when the first flush of excitement wears thin...I guess the ''plastic leggo   abominations  "    could be melted down and made into something useful...like a  "'  chamber pot  ""  for ol'  grandpa Jeff  Sandhopper....or perhaps  a ''spitoon ''....for the ''menzshed''....they would even have their own handle.....

Subjectivity , in a philosophical context, has to do with a lack of objective  reality.....there is no objective reality, for me , in certain consumer goods....plastic at that...thus  I will not pursue  this ''tainted ''   subject as a point of philosophical   discourse....

...and as  for the Lady with the super slick hands...she would be great asset...along with the old Winchester....  when the left wing nuts   come  a'callin'........ 

(I have no idea  what the ''code'' above is...but   ...for the sake of zero tolerance on further philosophical  discourse....I will play along with it....something quite devious, I imagine..from   ol' sandpiper   his self...)

• Haha 3

1895  Winchester   Russian   Military   Production ....7.62 x54mmR                (on left of picture...)

Jeff...I have a good keen young bloke pestering  the heck out of  me ,to buy the above rifle...It is quite rare in New Zealand..possibly even in the US

any idea  of its US value ???  I will never get anything like its US value, over here...I am aware of that !!!...but I imagine its possibly worth  $5k  US ?? I don't get the Rock Island Auction Catalogues     any longer....  thus    , right out of touch  (as usual...!!!)    with fire arm   values.....

Give me a clue !!

********   ****   ah no,  no            Mike

gun room 2.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hardtail said:

..been pounding   rocks, down here for  about two months...Lance ...:)...does that count..???..

Mike

• Haha 1

That lady shoots terribly slow with my connection. 

A friend had an 1895 in 7.62x54 a couple decades ago. I think it brought a couple grand back then.

Thx-Ace 

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

Subjectivity , in a philosophical context, has to do with a lack of objective  reality.....there is no objective reality, for me , in certain consumer goods....plastic at that...thus  I will not pursue  this ''tainted ''   subject as a point of philosophical   discourse....

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Just chummin the waters a bitūüėĄ

And this right here is why I throw gimpy legged frogs in the water. 

It is a meal 'OL Mr Newman from New Zooland just can't resist. 

And although his discourse would be at home with his slippers on in any conversation of the educated elite..............................

It is a pure diamond on a old tractor forum

Thank you for comin' through MichaelūüėÉ

I see you have other posts but I am off to the beautiful Black Hills of SD to get my back poked and prodded upon. 

Will catch up later

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wifey said I was fairly well behaved at the docs today¬†ūüėĄ¬†so she took me to Cabela's in Rapid.

19 hours ago, mike newman said:

old ratchet action  boom sticks..'''????...in obsolete   calibers.... Uhhmm    I see....Gheez, sandpaper...just how low can you go....??

In an effort to improve bilateral relations between this old codger and a fine upstanding Marlin loving New Zoolander.

I went into the used gun room looking for a lever.

The only one they had was an honest old 1894 in 30WCF (1901 mfg) that I just didn't feel lived up to the lowest price they were willing to take.

They had a few M-1's but no IHC mfg so prices I felt was a bit rich also.

In an effort to get me outta there and I think noticing my brides pleading eyes to get us on the road ahead of the weather.

They cut me a deal on this very clean and well cared for Benelli M2.

It shoulders beautifully and the action is butter smooth.

IMG_20211019_203149996_HDR.thumb.jpg.4d8b8ead977b873bffadf68c311a81a4.jpg

I know it isn't your true passion Mike but maybe you will appreciate this better than the "plastic Lego guns" that I sometimes put to work.ūü§†span widget

• Like 1

12 g semi? How do you load that? I have a breda 12g that has to load one in the receiver, set the safety, plug two in the tube mag, it sounds awkward but once you get the routine it is fine.

..no worries......Jeff Sandhiller.....:).....your shotgun purchase   looks great....In the halcyon    days when I had a dollar in my pocket ....and a nice big Australlian Ford  Fairlane  car with a V8  engine therein....and , at that time, no New Zealand Forest Service  contracts that required Sunday   work..(for   early   , early   Monday   morning log trucks  )..there were three   ""Trap  / Skeet ''   shooting  ranges  , within easy travelling distance.....either Saturday  or Sunday...One particular   ''range '' had a night shoot, once a month, on the Saturday   late evening, into the night... Great fun..lot of different shotguns ..Italian   shotguns were very  expensive , back then,.,I guess today the cost would not be expensive.....it would be eye watering....   I had a Browning ,''double auto''..good little gun,.... then after a very lucrative    Opossum   skin    season, I brought a Browning  under  /over..I was a reasonable shot.....the sort of bloke the top guys needed , to push them hard..to greater heights than I ever achieved.....but it was so much FUN......

...just another memory , now.....and , even with reloading,   trap / skeet got real expensive , after one got into the odd shoot off ....you could fire out 75 rounds    on ''shoot offs ''..this after the preliminary blasting at clay birds ...  Sold my under  and over some years ago , to fund one of my many trips to the US of A ....:)

Mike

• Like 2

I have a 12gauge Montefeltro......you will really like that Benelli!!!    Excellent shot guns.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mike newman said:

..no worries......Jeff Sandhiller.....:).....your shotgun purchase   looks great....In the halcyon    days when I had a dollar in my pocket ....and a nice big Australlian Ford  Fairlane  car with a V8  engine therein....and , at that time, no New Zealand Forest Service  contracts that required Sunday   work..(for   early   , early   Monday   morning log trucks  )..there were three   ""Trap  / Skeet ''   shooting  ranges  , within easy travelling distance.....either Saturday  or Sunday...One particular   ''range '' had a night shoot, once a month, on the Saturday   late evening, into the night... Great fun..lot of different shotguns ..Italian   shotguns were very  expensive , back then,.,I guess today the cost would not be expensive.....it would be eye watering....   I had a Browning ,''double auto''..good little gun,.... then after a very lucrative    Opossum   skin    season, I brought a Browning  under  /over..I was a reasonable shot.....the sort of bloke the top guys needed , to push them hard..to greater heights than I ever achieved.....but it was so much FUN......

...just another memory , now.....and , even with reloading,   trap / skeet got real expensive , after one got into the odd shoot off ....you could fire out 75 rounds    on ''shoot offs ''..this after the preliminary blasting at clay birds ...  Sold my under  and over some years ago , to fund one of my many trips to the US of A ....:)

Mike

I shot trap as a youngster with a Western Field Pump 20ga. 

Later on I inherited dad's Ithaca SKB. 

It is not the fanciest but maybe the fanciest I own. 

It will be passed on down to my boys as one of the family firearms i will not sell

Only shoot on special occasions now, last time was during youngest son's stag party before he got married. 

1782962406_IthacaSKB.thumb.jpg.711639097567040fb182f3dac4e98539.jpg

• Like 1