Tractor of the week # 28 856.

Here is the 856 Custom that I grew up on. 

856.png

• Like 6

September 1971 i traded 806 SN 673 for a new 856 SN 33919 it was a very late one. I was just 19 years old and had started farming the land as dad had died that April. When i purchased it i should have gotten a 1456 but didn't I was dumber than smarter as being a kid and first thing i put a Mark IV on the cab for Ref Air was a good deal, then axle mount duals, good deal then time went by and traded for a new 1066 and decided to put a turbo on the 856 so it could work in the field along side the 1066 not a good deal. I basically ruined that tractor. Had it set at 130 and farmed with it that way. It was ok but it always ran hot and used oil. Then in 1980 i traded it for a 1086.  Then the high interest came and tough times in the 80's and i was running tractors worn out worse than the ol 856. I look back and i should have just gotten a smaller moldboard plow for it and saved a tractor.

But it was a very nice tractor to drive 

• Like 1

THE tractor I grew up on. When I was young it was the tillage tractor. 4 bottom fully mounted jd plow then an IH semi mount 5 bottom. I believe a 37 disc. Mid 90s brought a 5088 6 bottom and 6 row planter behind the 856. I think it pulled an 8 row for a year or two. Today it’s in semi retirement as brush chopper tractor. Dad likes to roundup the fence lines too. Started with 20.8x34s went to 16.9x34 duels for planting. Still on 16.9s today. He bought it used in 71. It would take h#*! Freezing over for that thing to ever leave the family.  I got a chance to snap a picture of it today. Didn’t look at tach, but I believe it’s north of 9k. Of course it’s next to my 1256 because when I needed a big tractor the 8 was with the farm that my brother was taking over, no hard feelings, but I had to have a 56 series!

40A45419-E6AC-4A4B-8BF3-CE95B9106315.jpegThe ROPS was added in last 5 years. Some of the places dad brush chops gives me a little piece of mind, if he wears seat belt. 

• Like 2

The 856 is probably my favorite model. This is dads. He bought it in 1989. Has put in its hours, now lives on semi retirement running the grinder mixer. Along with whatever else we put up it to. Has over 10k hours. 

20210621_193030.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

'69 model pushing snow in '79.  It was tuned up with all factory 1256 parts in the early 70s. Apparently it dynoed at 185hp. I wish it was still around, but it got traded off in 1980.

856.jpg

Ah, the good ole days!  The sound of tires squeaking on super cold snow is still neat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing the 856 had to live with is the 806 was Internationals largest tractor for a few years and it was pretty well tapped out for power. When the 856 came out there was the 1206 and 1256 out there to do the hard work and the 856 had to live with the 806 having more tweaking done to it for power.  The same thing happened about a couple years earlier when farmers traded their 560's for 656's and if it was not large enough you got a 706 or a 756. They didn't have to compete with the older tractors. Here at our dealer they were opening pumps up on nearly new 656's so the customer was happy with his new 656 after his old 560 was traded off and long gone.

Dad bought our 856 in 73 from a friend who bought a 1066. It is the first tractor I drove by myself.

Mom and dad went to look at it and I had to stay with grandma. I was 5 and got a spanking from grandma, I threw a fit because I didn't get to go. I did get to ride in the crew cab loadstar semi with lowboy dad borrowed to bring it home. While we were there I saw their older (teenage?) Daughters skinny diping!

When Dad's friend retired he bought the 1066 too.

The loader came with the tractor. Dad didn't want it but the friend gave it to him with the tractor. You need it but you don't know it!

I'm not using it currently because of a hydraulic leak and a loader cyl was borrowed.

The front bolster sprung a leak and I got a used one from the salvage yard. They accidentally gave me a bolster and radiator support from a 806. Now my grill and side panels don't fit...

It hasn't had the valve cover off since dad bought it.

Mom, dad, his friend and his wife are all gone now.

Thx-Ace 

20211123_124537.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I was going to jump in here and say we should stop this 856 thread, since it’s week is over and we are into 4156 week now…..then you go and drop that great story on us. 

I say bring 'em on!  856 is one of the best tractors IH ever built.  I have one neighbor who farmed with 4 of them at one time.  Most IH farms had one or two of them at the time. Handy size for a lot of jobs.  I have 2 in my collection,  looking for a Custom to complete my collection. 

• Like 1

When I was a big kid I put alot of hours on our 856. We were working together with a neighbor. He had a jd 4230 and 4240 for tillage. I could out work those tractors. The 4240 should have had a slight edge but either our 856 was strong or the 4240 was weak.

The 4240 was practically new and our 856 was 10 years old.

The front tires were originally 10.00-16. The big front tires are off my old 915 rice special. They are great in muck.

Thx-Ace