Jump to content

T Post drivers


IHC_1470
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am looking for a powered T Post driver and wondering what would be a good one. I have used an air powered one in the past which was quite heavy, in fact I used the loader to pick it up. I see Northern Tool, EBay etc. have 52cc ones but will they do the job. Rohrer Manufacturing seems like a reasonable one also. I realize the weight helps push post but there is a limit there too. My body tells me I need to find other ways to put post in over the manual driver. Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You get what you pay for, I've got  skidril gd20

But when it dies I'll replace with a rhino. From swi fence. 

If your In soft ground  it's hard to beat pushing in with the bucket. 

The cheap ones are not worth it....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a front end loader and piece of pipe. It requires 2 people.

I take a piece of pipe that will slip over the tee post but not the flat. I cut it off to the length the tee post should be out of the ground.

Have assistant slide pipe over post then hold it in place. Push down on pipe/post withloader bucket. Stop when the pipe is flush with the ground. Pickup loader and go to next post.

It's really quick, easy and cheap.

Thx-Ace 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on the 560, and other earlier tractors you could put a pin at the bottom area  where ihe hyd cyl is mounted which gives the hitch down pressure seems like guys have made post drivers using this method, or maybe front loader. I Envesion a heavy pipe, say 4-5" dimater, raise drawbar, and stand post up aganist DB to find heigh, (with tractor on level ground) with one side cut out vertial, only enough to enter post, plate welded to bottom & bolted to the drawbar, the top would have a plug pinned in the vertial pipe, for adjustment, or use a hand held (moved) spacer for futher depth. may need to attach it to tractor   with parrell links as it will need to remain vertical. when pushing down do it in several steps ,so as not to bend post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, mader656 said:

You get what you pay for, I've got  skidril gd20

But when it dies I'll replace with a rhino. From swi fence. 

If your In soft ground  it's hard to beat pushing in with the bucket. 

The cheap ones are not worth it....

x2 on the ska drill. It is worth lugging it up a hill to pound a few posts. Works well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a big rotary hammer, has hammer-drill-hammer/drill settings bought a driver for that for ground rods. In soft ground they go in pretty decent, in hard ground less so. I would imagine T-posts would be similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, acem said:

I use a front end loader and piece of pipe. It requires 2 people.

I take a piece of pipe that will slip over the tee post but not the flat. I cut it off to the length the tee post should be out of the ground.

Have assistant slide pipe over post then hold it in place. Push down on pipe/post withloader bucket. Stop when the pipe is flush with the ground. Pickup loader and go to next post.

It's really quick, easy and cheap.

Thx-Ace 

That is exactly what we do except ours goes on a skid steer.  I’ve had neighbors ask me if I wanted to go in with them on a T post driver.  I show them what we do then I don’t hear from them again on the subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After reading everyone's thoughts here, thank you for those, I have narrowed it down I believe to the Titan PGD2000. I also am looking at the PGD375 but the reviews I have read on line do not seem to favor it all that much. Much heavier machine at 50 pounds, less warranty one year, and they do not say what brand engine is used on that model. The 2000 is Honda powered, two year warranty, and comes in at 35 pounds. While the weight probably would help in pushing post I am not sure my arms are up to that sort of a work out any more. 

Headed to a farm story today that stocks both models so will see what the final decision will be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, IHC_1470 said:

After reading everyone's thoughts here, thank you for those, I have narrowed it down I believe to the Titan PGD2000. I also am looking at the PGD375 but the reviews I have read on line do not seem to favor it all that much. Much heavier machine at 50 pounds, less warranty one year, and they do not say what brand engine is used on that model. The 2000 is Honda powered, two year warranty, and comes in at 35 pounds. While the weight probably would help in pushing post I am not sure my arms are up to that sort of a work out any more. 

Headed to a farm story today that stocks both models so will see what the final decision will be. 

Good luck.

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I did pick up a Titan PGD2000 today. Was at a local rental store/repair center where I had a couple of chain saws being worked on. Asked them what they used for rental units and the 2000 was what they were using. Figured if it was standing up to that sort of service it would probably do what I wanted. Will know in a couple of days as I have 40 or so post to push in and the ground is rather rocky so will be a good test. Will report back when I know more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...