Jump to content

Any Special Farmall B's?


KWRB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I basically stole a really rough Farmall B at auction last week. The price was right for the pristine grill and maybe the rear axle weights, and I know a guy who wants a governor.

Before I cannibalize this thing, is there anything about any B's that make them special or rare? I've never heard of it, but I've never been into B's.

Also, how to I tell (or measure?) the difference between a B and a BN?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • KWRB changed the title to Any Special Farmall B's?

A B and BN are the same tractor with different rear tread widths.

I believe that it was 

B- 36/38” rows with close to 8’ overall width on outside of tires

BN-30” rows between 6’ and 7’ overall width on outside of tires

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing special about a 'B'.  'BN' may be a little more collectable but not what you would call rare.  My opinion anyways.  Easies way to tell difference is the right seat frame to the right fender.  BN right seat frame will be right against the fender.  B will have 4'' space between.  8'' width difference between B and BN.  Both have width adjustments also by how the rims are mounted.  None of this may be true if someone has played mix and match with axle housings which is possible over the last 70-80 years.

Dennis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Does a BN also have the single front wheel or not necessarily?

either or

 

 I wouldn't scrap  that B/BN too fast- it ain't eating hay. Someday you might like it with a buddy seat on it for your kid. Its easy to add the other seat and I looks factory

Early Farmall As without hydraulics are very cheap and you could swap your parts over to the A

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So there weren't any special, rare subsets within the run of B's? I am thinking about something analogous to demonstrators, cotton machines, etc etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hillman said:

either or

 

 I wouldn't scrap  that B/BN too fast- it ain't eating hay. Someday you might like it with a buddy seat on it for your kid. Its easy to add the other seat and I looks factory

Early Farmall As without hydraulics are very cheap and you could swap your parts over to the A

I am not going to scrap it. I could never. I'm just deciding whether or not to cannibalize it for usable parts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, KWRB said:

So there weren't any special, rare subsets within the run of B's? I am thinking about something analogous to demonstrators, cotton machines, etc etc.

there was a B with a cotton picker mounted, at the RPRU in Montgomery, Al. One of 2 experimental built, but the only survivor, iirc. Needed restoration.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you got it from the J. Scott Krenser auction, there was one "special" B there.

It's a unique customized tractor set up for center drive and the axle extension housings removed to narrow it up for sidewalk plowing.

They (you?) were loading it while I was picking up what I bought. Got stuck behind the big dump truck with all the chains on the trailer for about 20 minutes and couldn't get out.

B1.jpg.018cf786bf50341257b636ad55f20dde.jpg

B4.jpg.0b048518685748a059b72be1fcc3a731.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If you got it from the J. Scott Krenser auction, there was one "special" B there.

It's a unique customized tractor set up for center drive and the axle extension housings removed to narrow it up for sidewalk plowing.

They (you?) were loading it while I was picking up what I bought. Got stuck behind the big dump truck with all the chains on the trailer for about 20 minutes and couldn't get out.

B1.jpg.018cf786bf50341257b636ad55f20dde.jpg

B4.jpg.0b048518685748a059b72be1fcc3a731.jpg

 

That looks like it would be scary narrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If you got it from the J. Scott Krenser auction, there was one "special" B there.

It's a unique customized tractor set up for center drive and the axle extension housings removed to narrow it up for sidewalk plowing.

They (you?) were loading it while I was picking up what I bought. Got stuck behind the big dump truck with all the chains on the trailer for about 20 minutes and couldn't get out.

B1.jpg.018cf786bf50341257b636ad55f20dde.jpg

B4.jpg.0b048518685748a059b72be1fcc3a731.jpg

 

That was me! I am seeing some really weird modifications on it, but I've never gotten real into a B so I don't know what's up. I see the modifications to the seat (they took the serial tag off with the original seat mounting) and the steering column. I guess I don't know what the rear axle is suposed to look like, so I have no basis for comparison. I did notice a 1" burnout plate between the transmission housing and (what I assumed was) the axle housing, under those weights. Now, from your note, I am assuming the drop boxes were just bolted direct to the transmission housing and that's not normal?

I took the plow frame and grille off it last night. Still debating whether or not to cannibalize. The engine is destroyed no doubt. The exhaust is missing and the manifold is packed solid full of crap and the plugs are all missing. Maybe the block isn't cracked and it could be saved, but a full rebuild would be required. I have a friend that wants a governor and a cam. I just need to decide whether or not to rip it apart.

I guess I'll have to check out the online parts catalog a little closer and see how that rear axle is supposed to look. Tell me, in a normal configuration, could the weights be put inboard of the wheels like that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was the green pickup following the dump truck out after you pulled off to the side to strap it down.

Kinda crazy in there. Only one driveway in and out, for all that stuff, and only one day to get it all out of there. I guess the running plow tractors were brought in from a lot in the city for the auction. Things were so tight I caught my mudflap on the Farmall 400 with the Electrall. Had clearance up top but did not see the 3pt adapters sticking out down low. Thought I put a big old crease in the side of my truck. Thankfully, no damage that I can see.

Farmall B is supposed to have the seat and controls offset to the right, and has two equal length axle extensions between the transmission and the final drives.

restoration8b.jpg.e35293ec59619434fd7714cb48befd31.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I was the green pickup following the dump truck out after you pulled off to the side to strap it down.

Kinda crazy in there. Only one driveway in and out, for all that stuff, and only one day to get it all out of there. I guess the running plow tractors were brought in from a lot in the city for the auction. Things were so tight I caught my mudflap on the Farmall 400 with the Electrall. Had clearance up top but did not see the 3pt adapters sticking out down low. Thought I put a big old crease in the side of my truck. Thankfully, no damage that I can see.

Farmall B is supposed to have the seat and controls offset to the right, and has two equal length axle extensions between the transmission and the final drives.

restoration8b.jpg.e35293ec59619434fd7714cb48befd31.jpg

Next time we have an event like a big IH auction, we should plan an RPF meetup for breakfast or something. I always walk around those places and wonder if any of those faces match the people (I feel like) I already know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If you got it from the J. Scott Krenser auction, there was one "special" B there.

It's a unique customized tractor set up for center drive and the axle extension housings removed to narrow it up for sidewalk plowing.

They (you?) were loading it while I was picking up what I bought. Got stuck behind the big dump truck with all the chains on the trailer for about 20 minutes and couldn't get out.

B1.jpg.018cf786bf50341257b636ad55f20dde.jpg

B4.jpg.0b048518685748a059b72be1fcc3a731.jpg

 

KWRB, I would say you got a real sleeper there, if you took it to a tractor show. Fwiw, a friend in Alabama got ahold of a B with a bad engine, wanted a 2 seat parade tractor, so found an A with a good engine and made the swap. A was used for yard art afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose since the serial tag was removed when they modified the seat location, it wouldn't damage its provenance to put a different C113 on it and restore it as-is.... Darn it. I need another project like I need a hole in the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some pics of the modified rear end, with the drop boxes mounted directly to the rear housing. Note the ~1" plate between the transmission housing and the drop box on the right side, which isn't present on the left. I found that strange. Also note that even though the drops are mounted directly to the housing, the wheels aren't right up against the drops like a typical B. They tucked weights inboard of the wheels.

KIMG2331.JPG

KIMG2330.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume that like the Cub, the transmission for the A and B is not exactly centered in the housing. The left side axle sticks out of the housing further than the right side. I assume that your tractor was narrowed by bolting two A left housings onto the  transmission. The left side of course fits fine. On the right side however, the axle is too long. Thus the need for a spacer or the need to cut down the axle and extend the splines. The spacer was easier.  I am working on a similar problem only worse. I am trying to install a right side extension and dropbox on the left side of a Cub. My axle is too short so I need to extend the shaft. That is a little more difficult. My plan is to make a mini B with a buddy seat. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

Would there have been a v plow on that then or an angle plow?

Can't say for certain, but the operation that owned it ran a ton of V Plows for city sidewalks, albeit on H's and M's. This was the only little (A, B, C) tractor there, I believe.

The angle iron frame is symmetric and there's an ancient seized cylinder at front, top, center. There was a straight plow not connected to anything that was its own lot at the auction. Maybe it was attached to this at some point, idk.


I got the owners number, I thought about calling and asking about its history.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, KWRB said:


I got the owners number, I thought about calling and asking about its history.

I bet that would be an interesting conversation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, KWRB said:

the wheels aren't right up against the drops like a typical B

There have to be spacers in there. Otherwise there wouldn't be room for two weights like that. You could get one in with the wheel dished out, I think but not two.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By seeing some white paint on it I think at one time it was a loader called Honey Bee. The company bought Bs and converted them to loaders by reversing them some thing what was done with Allis's. There was one up on auction a couple years back that I was bidding on in Minnesota. Look up The Honey Bee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...