Picked up a 186 Hydro

Cooter

Picked up my new ride yesterday 😎😎. I’ve wanted one of these since I was a kid. 5151 hrs, spent the majority of its life in PA running a snow blade and last owner did a little bit of hay and misc farm work.  Drawbar and 3-point arms have almost no wear on them at all.  
The bad news: the hydro is out 😕😕. So I’m hoping I bought it right to feel like I still won after I spend big money to fix it……

I have the test gauges and copied service pages (really hard to read) from Herr’s, but does anyone have the full service manual in PDF form?  

AF0AE732-C2C6-4F35-8AFC-AAB3DA4A8E87.jpeg

01D44FDC-455E-4DE0-95CC-E16440FF9E00.jpeg

3EC01EC3-1C23-49AD-9F02-CC9F96E046F8.jpeg

37E81B12-695F-4B4C-8A8D-EB3F52424AB9.jpeg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

That sure is a lot of weights for a hydro, and what happened to the fuel tank?

Fuel vent plugged. Seen many 986s on down that used that style tank sucked in exactly like that over the years. Uncle bought a 986 new and I remember his being that way more than looking normal. I think IH had some kind of deal they would replace the tank for free if that happened, but I don't think it was made too public because of the amount of them still like that. I know my uncle never replaced his back then because he didn't know anything about it.

• Like 1

Yes that one looks like it is definitely worth a complete hydro if it needs it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

Yup I like it too,I bet the hydro isn't even bad.

I wonder too!,  (Jeremy Droscha), Cooter posted on several "IH Group" Facebook sites for some additional answers, 

We Parked our 1066 Hydro next to the 186 Hydro to compare the same port readings from tractor to tractor, Very similar pressure readings.

For You folks that have "Hydro's",  When you have your Gear selector in neutral, and advance the Hydro lever forward you will hear the Internals of the tractor whirl, same for the reverse direction,.. obviously with the gear selector in neutral, you can hear the Spinning hydro assembly,...no forward tractor movement.

When you push the Foot & inch pedal down, (Clutch Pedal for you folk's that haven't used a Hydro) This whirling sounds stop's, the sound of the engine is all you hear, Remove your foot slowly from this position and the whirling sound begins..,All normal sounds & Actions for a strong running Hydro Tractor.

This 186 Hydro has pump pressure, Foot & inch unit is functioning & not letting oil bypass the small plunger, (I thought this is what had Failed)

Linkage is advancing & moving, Gear selector, High & low engage comfortably, Oil level is correct, Power steering, 3 point arms & Brake pedal respond correctly.

This tractor is Lacking the "Hydro" whirling sound no Matter what the RPM is.

***The former Owner said, This summer they had been cutting hay,  unhooked the Implement,   Pulled to the Tractor to the Gate, with the tractor running,  opened the gate, Jumped back into the tractor to pull forward and the 186 Hydro never moved on it's own again,***

All of Cooter's Hydraulic Gauges are from a "Hydro" Gauge Kit purchased at RPRU from the Great People at Herr's,  They will tell Cooter what the pressure reading's should be Monday morning.

Our Farm yard (Mostly Cooter's) Synopsis is, the splines on the Hydro pump motor have stripped, Internal Problems.

My Farm Yard Guess is the Hydraulic pressure is still failing to get to the Internal Motor that moves the tractor....... Relief Valve Failed?

Stay Tuned Neighbors,  Jim Droscha 

• Like 1

Can I ask a question?

Where did he he buy it from? That tractor looks really familiar with that decal in the back. Like identical to one that was in my neighborhood and it was a Hydro 186. I drove by the place last night after seeing this post and sure enough, the tractor isn't there. ( no barns on the place big enough to park it in)

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Can I ask a question?

Where did he he buy it from? That tractor looks really familiar with that decal in the back. Like identical to one that was in my neighborhood and it was a Hydro 186. I drove by the place last night after seeing this post and sure enough, the tractor isn't there. ( no barns on the place big enough to park it in)

Janson's Farm Equipment Had the tractor at there repair Facility in Charlotte,  That is where the Pictures were taken. 186 Hydro Was in the Shop for a couple of Day's with different Gauges hooked to it, 

I was Told by One of the Mechanics at "Janson's" that a Relative of the Former owner said,  "Don't put a lot of money into this year of tractor, It will be an Expensive repair",  186 Hydro owners decided not to repair the tractor.

Janson's Service manager informed us the tractor was for sale,.... to another Farmer or a Tractor Salvage yard 

I Never personally met the Former owners,  Only Phone conversations, I don't know where there farm is located.

Jim Droscha

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Can I ask a question?

@Cooter

4 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Janson's Farm Equipment Had the tractor at there repair Facility in Charlotte,  That is where the Pictures were taken. 186 Hydro Was in the Shop for a couple of Day's with different Gauges hooked to it, 

I was Told by One of the Mechanics at "Janson's" that a Relative of the Former owner said,  "Don't put a lot of money into this year of tractor, It will be an Expensive repair",  186 Hydro owners decided not to repair the tractor.

Janson's Service manager informed us the tractor was for sale,.... to another Farmer or a Tractor Salvage yard 

I Never personally met the Former owners,  Only Phone conversations, I don't know where there farm is located.

Jim Droscha

If this is indeed the tractor I'm thinking it is ( and I'm pretty damn sure from the pictures and the one I know being missing now). It was the Concord/Parma area. Its about 5 miles by road from my house. 

Seen it plenty of times and it now being gone and this one being sold really has me thinking it's one and the same. 

8 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Flex plate?

I thought it does something. Flex plate gone and no hydraulics and no pto also if I remember correctly

2 hours ago, bitty said:

I thought it does something. Flex plate gone and no hydraulics and no pto also if I remember correctly

Yep, you are right, he said it has pump pressure so not going to be the flex plate. 

"Herr's" have helped our Barnyard diagnosis's,   Herr's sold a Complete Gauge Kit to My Son Jeremy, Jeremy Followed Herr's Instructions and a Success!!

The 186 Hydro traveled across our farm fields under it's own Power.

We Didn't Have a   "Eureka"!!    Moment, More of a "Well I'll Be Darned"....How Did that Happen.. Is that supposed to Do That?? 

I Failed to Mention the "Oil" in the Hydro, The oil Level was the correct amount,  The Oil is "Split Pea Soup" Color, almost a 30 weight feeling, Pulsing through the Veins of this 186 tractor... I Didn't want to start another "Oil Thread" topic attached to a 186,  But perhaps this oil in this 186 did contribute to a Hydro Failure.

Jeremy Hasn't removed the Oil Yet, from his 186,   Jeremy is still Diagnosing a Few thing's,  .....We are trying to Shell Corn & Finish Soybeans.

What was Found was "Two" large Relief Valves within the Internals of the Hydro Unit,  Herr's Instruction Manual showed What to look for.  Besides the Battery's Needed to be Removed and the Side Cover's of Hydro Tran's Housing & Kept Extra Clean, Several Small Steel Lines removed Before a Mechanic can Reach the Relief Valves,  Trans Oil Leaking every where, (Jeremy Didn't Care about the loss of this Green oil)   Then a person can Determine the location of the Valves.

Herr's Phone Conservation with Jeremy Reveled that the Internals of these Relief Valves, ...these valves were "Scared Internally" and will stick "open".

These Valves will Be Replaced.  New Hytrans will Replace the current Oil in the Hydro unit.  Linkage on the Hydro lever will be Replaced while the 186 is Dissembled,  Filters, & other Leaks addressed.

The 186 Engine at PTO speed Trans in High Range, Slowly advance the Hydro Direction Lever,...Apply the Brakes and you can Bring the Engine Down in RPM's

I think the Internals are Solid,. Within the the Hydro Unit,   Jeremy will Follow Herr's Recommendations about Replacing Parts.

Herr's "Sold" or "Shared" important Information to "Us",   That Mean's a Lot to "Us", And Other Producer's.

The Same "Herr's" Guy's and there Family's that we Meant at RPRU, are the Same Friendly Guy's Sharing Information on the Phone, 

"Herr's" could have Said, "According to the "Gauge information" from the Gauge Kit we Sold You, That tractor is Dead, ...Bring us the Tractor and we will Fix it for you,... And we will Send you an Invoice for a compete Hydro Repair"., ....This Company Could Have,....."Herr's" Chose to Be Honest with Jeremy about what he determined was wrong with this 186,

A Good Feeling of "Farmer's Helping Farmer's".

Jim Droscha

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

"Herr's" have helped our Barnyard diagnosis's,   Herr's sold a Complete Gauge Kit to My Son Jeremy, Jeremy Followed Herr's Instructions and a Success!!

We Didn't Have a   "Eureka"!!    Moment, More of a "Well I'll Be Darned"....How Did that Happen.. Is that supposed to Do That?? 

I Failed to Mention the "Oil" in the Hydro, The oil Level was the correct amount,  The Oil is "Pea Soup" Color, almost a 30 weight feeling, Pulsing through the Veins of this 186 tractor... I Didn't want to start another "Oil Thread" topic attached to a 186,  But perhaps this oil in this 186 did contribute to a Hydro Failure.

Jeremy Hasn't removed the Oil Yet, from his 186,   Jeremy is still Diagnosing a Few thing's,  .....We are trying to Shell Corn & Finish Soybeans.

What was Found was "Two" large Relief Valves within the Internals of the Hydro Unit,  Herr's Instruction Manual showed What to look for.  Besides the Battery's Needed to be Removed and the Side Cover's of Hydro Tran's Housing & Kept Extra Clean, Several Small Steel Lines removed Before a Mechanic can Reach the Relief Valves,  Trans Oil Leaking every where, (Jeremy Didn't Care about the loss of this Green oil)   Then a person can Determine the location of the Valves.

Herr's Phone Conservation with Jeremy Reveled that the Internals of these Relief Valves, ...these valves were "Scared Internally" and will stick "open".

These Valves will Be Replaced.  New Hytrans will Replace the current Oil in the Hydro unit.  Linkage on the Hydro lever will be Replaced while the 186 is Dissembled,  Filters, & other Leaks addressed.

The 186 Engine at PTO speed Trans in High Range, Slowly advance the Hydro Direction Lever,...Apply the Brakes and you can Bring the Engine Down in RPM's

I think the Internals are Solid,. Within the the Hydro Unit,   Jeremy will Follow Herr's Recommendations about Replacing Parts.

Herr's "Sold" or "Shared" important Information to "Us",   That Mean's a Lot to "Us", And Other Producer's.

The Same "Herr's" Guy's and there Family's that we Meant at RPRU, are the Same Friendly Guy's Sharing Information on the Phone, 

"Herr's" could have Said, "According to the "Gauge information" from the Gauge Kit we Sold You, That tractor is Dead, ...Bring us the Tractor and we will Fix it for you,... And we will Send you an Invoice for a compete Hydro Repair"., ....This Company Could Have,....."Herr's" Chose to Be Honest with Jeremy about what he determined was wrong with this 186,

Jim Droscha

Good for you guys. Glad to see it going. It really is to nice of a tractor to knock on the head. 

If this is indeed the tractor I think it is. It never saw the inside of a shed the entire time it was at this place. So that may contribute to the condition of the oil if was hardly changed. 

Unless you farm sand, you may also wish to remove all the extra weights....0 slippage is hard on hydros or gear drives.  Learned that the hard way on a 1486.

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

I Failed to Mention the "Oil" in the Hydro, The oil Level was the correct amount,  The Oil is "Split Pea Soup" Color, almost a 30 weight feeling, Pulsing through the Veins of this 186 tractor... I Didn't want to start another "Oil Thread" topic attached to a 186,  But perhaps this oil in this 186 did contribute to a Hydro Failure.

Jim Droscha

This is exactly why you buy parts and services they are selling when the time comes to need them.    Even if the parts are a little more expensive than the “other” place.    They are stand up guys at Herrs.  

• Like 3