IH 806 TA Out & Free Wheeling

The TA is out on our 806.  We plan on continuing to use the tractor for bush hogging, raking & baling hay until we have the money & time to tear it in two.  It free wheels when the TA lever is in the forward (Direct Drive) position.  It can be sporty if going down a hill.  Is that “normal” for a tractor with the TA out (when lever is pulled back the tractor comes rolls to a stop).  Thanks, Jonathan 

If tractor does not move lever back sprag is out. If it free wheels in Hi-TA the direct drive clutch is out. Will the tractor pull itself at all in HI-TA?  Sure sounds like a TA job in the near future. Hope I understood you correctly. I am surprised it moves at all. 

Thanks for helping out with this.  The tractor drives fine in Direct Drive (lever forward).  In TA (lever back) the tractor does not pull itself & if on an incline then it will roll downhill.  So a new TA sounds logical, but how soon does it need to be repaired?  Will it continue to drive & be ok to operate in Direct Drive?  Does the freewheeling in TA indicate anything more serious than it just doesn’t pull itself already does?  Thank you again.

Ok, I am confused. The way your first post reads the tractor freewheels with the TA lever AHEAD?

On 10/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, ComancheStarFarms said:

It free wheels when the TA lever is in the forward (Direct Drive) position.

If that is the case it is not safe to drive. You will need to ride the brakes any time the tractor is going downhill, which is not the greatest plan.

Later though you say it's okay in direct drive? So, I'm confused.

If it holds in direct, then you can run it until it stops moving. If it does not hold, then park the tractor.

It would be truly unusual for the tractor to "drive fine" in direct and freewheel down the hills. The clutch can't hold and not hold at the same time.

Matt (& any others), it took me a couple days to drive the 806 around - starting harvest so a little distracted.  We recently bought this tractor and for a low price (for us) because the man selling it said nothing worked but the motor.  Got it home and sure enough nothing much worked - no real steering, no brakes, no PTO, no hydraulics (tractor is factory no 3-point) & no TA.  Even though the farmer said he recently changed filters & fluids I went ahead & did it myself again.  After that steering and brakes seemed to be better.  I then over filled hydraulic reservoir by about 3 gallons and everything started working close to normal.  The TA - the lever doesn’t feel or look as if it is moving fully front & back so not sure tonight which range it is in.  So I’ll grab the book and adjust the linkage in the next few says.  But we think it is in Direct Drive.  And it pulls forward normally.  However if the tractor is on a steep enough hill it will freewheel - meaning it may speed up faster than if it was only pulling itself.  I’ve had TAs before - in recent tractors 1206, 966 & 1066 and none of them ever sped up faster than the motor/tranny turned them.  So I know something is wrong.  Use the tractor on flat ground & I’m ok or don’t drive the tractor until repaired, meaning a new TA? Thanks for spending so much time on this.  - Jonathan 

Oh, forget what I said, ours would stop moving in TA position but was totally normal in direct drive. I would stop using it until you get it fixed if haven't already I strongly recommend putting a rebuild kit in the MCV valve and try the tractor out, both our 986 and 3588 have shown symptoms of a TA going out and/or not working and rebuilding the MCV fixed both. 

Down on the top of the MCV is the plunger valve that the TA lever moves to shift the TA. If that plunger valve is fully down against the snap ring, the tractor is in direct drive. Otherwise you are pulling on the sprag, and it will freewheel. However, it should just keep going at the same speed if you pull the TA lever back, not stop, if that is the case. Stopping indicates that the TA sprag is not working and your TA holdback clutches are no longer working.

When I got my 1586 the TA cable was not adjusted properly and not pushing the plunger all the way down. It was in TA all the time with the added bonus of freewheeling any time you hit a downhill slope. By freewheeling I do not mean "slightly faster," I mean strap a rocket engine on the back and light it off, we're going for a ride, freewheeling.

• Haha 1

606 & Matt, I really appreciate your willingness to help & your knowledge is very professional.  I’ll follow your recommendations & thoughts.  I grew up driving a SMTA & 450 in the 60s & then 656/966 in the 70s.  Today my sons & I run cattle using a 966 Turbo & 5088 & the old Super M.  It wasn’t until I stumbled across this forum about three years ago that I found out that IH & the TA were so disrespected.  This “new” 806 is the first Farmall/IH that I’ve ever seen with a TA problem - and we bought it knowing it had problems.  That’s why we’re burdening you so much with our problem.  Thank you, Jonathan 

• Like 1