Grass vs Grain fed beef

nomorejohndeere

well, from me ...the beardless  pensioner...it is a ''no contest ''  in favour of the grass fed...but before you blokes get your knickers in that old knot....remember there is grass .......and grass

There is ''ghee whiz ''    grass' s   these days ..cultivar's of perrenial Ryegrass that have taken years to breed  up...and give spectacular results in respect of nutrition and growth  rates.....which is reflected in the animals grazing  it....

...then there old ''brown top'' and  other crappy old grass's that the deer    don't even eat..... Beef of that type of ''grass'' covered land is  fit only for mince ..or sausages....

My opinion......and in the last 75 odd years, I have chewed up a few  lbs    of beef.....

Mike

• Like 1

I still love my corn fed beef. A well fattened grass fed critter isn’t bad either, just make sure it’s fat and not some open cow, that got run into the locker. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I still love my corn fed beef. A well fattened grass fed critter isn’t bad either, just make sure it’s fat and not some open cow, that got run into the locker. 

Dad corn fed 30-40 head of feeder cattle every year and at least one got butched at the locker plant, eventually he worked his way up to selling to butcher 4-5 a year, repeat customers. Ate corn-fed beef till I was 18 yrs old.  The beef you buy at most grocery stores is grass fed, as is the beef our local butcher shop sells.  Wish I could buy a side of beef fed ground earcorn like Dad had me grind.

I watched the video, answered a lot of questions I could have asked.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Dad corn fed 30-40 head of feeder cattle every year and at least one got butched at the locker plant, eventually he worked his way up to selling to butcher 4-5 a year, repeat customers. Ate corn-fed beef till I was 18 yrs old.  The beef you buy at most grocery stores is grass fed, as is the beef our local butcher shop sells.  Wish I could buy a side of beef fed ground earcorn like Dad had me grind.

I watched the video, answered a lot of questions I could have asked.

No clue where you are, but I have an extra half that isn’t sold. Going to the locker the 2nd of November 

• Like 1

I only got through half of the video last night so might be asking something they covered.    Is it the sugar in the corn that makes beef marble?  Is it protein that makes it?    What types of grass can do the same thing , alfalfa?

i have no clue what the difference would taste like, all the guys I worked for that had beef had them on grass pasture in spring/summer - hay in lots where they wintered them - ground corn pretty much all the time - I thought it tasted amazing - we raised hogs so I was a poor pig farmer and i got tired of bacon and pork chops. To this day pork is not that appealing to me and I can tell a strong hog when you open the package I dont have to eat the meat. 

There are two issues that contribute to the grass-fed vs. corn-fed beef debate:

#1.  Your typical consumer has very seldom tasted a good cut of corn-fed beef, and thus lacks the experience of comparing one to the other.

#2. Remember that it was the MEDIA, being the "EXPERTS ON EVERYTHING" that they promote themselves as being, who told us how 'healthy' grass fed beef was, compared to the 'bad fats' that corn/grain fed beef contains, BUT which contributed to its great taste.

These people are of the same 'profession' who told the American consumer that apples were bad, then fish, especially tuna, because of the mercury, or other pollutants that it contains, or the hazards of eating bacon, or the dangers associated with chickens and their eggs that weren't raised as "free range", and the list goes on and is constantly changing, ALL thanks to these "experts" using their bottom of the barrel 'education' in 'journalism' to come peiriously close to practicing medicine without a license.

Personally, although they say "beef is beef", no matter the breed, does the cross-breeding have some effect on the taste?  I remember looking at pen after pen, after pen (acres of pens) of Holsteins at the JBS yard west of Lamar, CO, and thinking how unusual it was to see a couple of pens of really nice looking Herefords at the old Monfort (now JBS) yard at Kuner, CO. unusual enough that was was worth stopping and taking a picture of.

Finally, I can remember when "canners and cutters" was a grade of beef, so you have to wonder how much of that, under its new grade of 'select' makes into the meat counter?  I was told several years ago, that the USDA inspection stamp never shows up, because too many housewives were complaining that the purple ink, "looked like dirt".

Lastly, and look at what is in the bunker silos of any commercial cattle feedyard, are the cattle fed corn silage considered to be "corn, or grass, fed, since corn IS a grass?

On 10/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, Lazy WP said:

No clue where you are, but I have an extra half that isn’t sold. Going to the locker the 2nd of November 

If you have a half that is not sold it will not be hard to sell. I understand the Locker in Johnson KS is nearly a year out.

Art...never mind what the ''experts ''  say.....  some of the best beef you can get is Jersy x   Hereford.......or Jersy  x  Angus....

..the only issue issue with marketing this ''combo'  to the great unwashed....is simply..the colour of the fat..it just looks like fresh 'pus''...and as such.....can be ''off putting''    for the already, well fed....other than that, beef dosen't come any better.....

....but you won't find any''cooking '' guru  promoting  that particular  genetic  mix.....only the   Cockies      wives....Its bloody good tucker

Mike

• Like 2

I watched the whole 44 minutes . it was a good video  but they can keep their coffee seasoning💩 I like my meat the natural way. 

Both carcasses were close in grading according  to ZZ tops kids ;) seems they tried to match the grass fed one. Was the grass fed one as good as it gets? the corn fed one could/should have been graded Prime   they should have been comparing the best to the best and I think the corn fed would have outshined the grass fed even more 

I raised some Jersey steers a few years and sold them to a large packer nearby because I knew they loved them. When I called them the first time he asked me how fat are they? I said they are in good condition and asked him how fat do you want them? He said the fatter the better! He told me if you ever heard someone dissing Jersey meat tell them his entire family eats Jersey meat

Dr Evil I would guess the farmer's meat you used to buy would be graded higher ( if it was graded) than the grocery store meat you buy. something grade Prime in a grocery store would be expensive probably Graded A or AA. I dunno because I have never bought grocery store meat 

Really don't matter what each of us thinks. What matters is what the customer wants. Right now there is a growing market for grass fed/free range ECT. ECT. SO that's the way the market is trending. Don't matter which is healthier either. It's customer perception. Don't produce what the customer wants? Then expect to make less money.

Rick 

From what I understand a grass fed animal is allowed up to 2 percent of it's body weight per day in grain. So your grass fed can be infact corn fed.

Edit

I googled it right quick and found that a grass fed beef can be entirely grain finished and still be considered grass fed, as long as they ate grass at some point in their lives

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Really don't matter what each of us thinks. What matters is what the customer wants. Right now there is a growing market for grass fed/free range ECT. ECT. SO that's the way the market is trending. Don't matter which is healthier either. It's customer perception. Don't produce what the customer wants? Then expect to make less money.

Rick 

small market if you ask me. Lots of growers raise grass fed cattle but aren't certified. here is only one source( link below) but I doubt the numbers would be huge from any source. if you go to a high end restaurant I think you want grain fed beef. if you have had a couple beers and bbq'ing steaks for your buddies you want grain fed beef

just my 2 cents

https://extension.sdstate.edu/grass-fed-beef-market-share-grass-fed-beef

My wife's nose can tell grain fed from grass fed 20 or 30 feet away. An you better not bring grass fed into her kitchen and expect to eat it in her house.  She always told me she hated venison, I said it was just not taken care of right. I lost until one extra fat buck. Found out a neighbor was putting out grain for deer to not eat in there yard with it's half a$$ fence (don't know if it worked).  But the biggest bodied deer by almost twice I ever shot. Had extra horns but I have 2 better and an equal or 2 as well.

A few years latter and a better restaurant got in on the grass fed kick. She was taken there and would not eat what ever meat she ordered (I was not there). I had not trouble eating it but was sure not all that good. She being the brains around here had the light bulb moment . Grass fed beef has the same smell to her venison has to her. So both are out.

I am working with city boy that has money to buy 600 acres that will at best support 20 cows. He wants to improve hunting on it and raise his own grass fed beef. I had to look at some of the rules of the raising grass fed beef by sanctioning bodies rules. As I have field next to the 600 I could plant barley on and lay in windrows as the seed gets close to ripe. A BIG NO, NO, if a seed will germinate it is to ripe to let grass fed cattle near.  This could be a disaster for both of us for many reasons. But I am going see what I can learn. I know cows get fat on grass here. But will steers 18 months old steers be there, close, or need to be 30 months. 

For Roberts benefit it is real hard to find good pork chops in the store. To much of the "Other white meat" breeding in the pork business. In 1964 I saw my first "wild boar" here. In a year many more and eating the grain crops big time. Other than some wild crazy dog hunters nobody was to trilled with eating wild pork. Fifty years latter with less "Russian wild boar" and more poor grade domestics hogs being turned loose over the years, wild hog is as good if not better than mass produced pork. If in good condition when shot my wife lets wild hog in her house and will cook and eat it.

For the color wars in cattle I have eaten some real good Holsten as well as any other breed and color. Even a 1/2 Longhorn got fat on grain as was very good. Was raised to sell the pretty ones and eat the off color ones when well fattened. Just had wild crazy Hereford and a old broke down black cow slaughtered. Both grain feed 100 plus days and all the oat hay they could eat with seeds in it for 20+ days before that. The fat on the old cow was very yellow. I think she will be all hamburger/stew/ soup meat. May try a roast, just to see what I can chew. 🤣 

22 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

The corn plant is technically grass, so corn fed is grass fed. Corn is simply the seed from that plant. Just sayin'! 

I like your thinking.................................................but if you want a stamp of approval. At least from some group the city folk invented. ☹️ You at least need to know there rules. 

1 hour ago, ray54 said:

She always told me she hated venison, I said it was just not taken care of right. I lost until one extra fat buck. Found out a neighbor was putting out grain for deer 

I prefer Whitetails here because they spend more time in a corn field whereas the Muleys spend more time out in the hills on grass.

It is a rough rule, not 100%

6 hours ago, hillman said:

small market if you ask me. Lots of growers raise grass fed cattle but aren't certified. here is only one source( link below) but I doubt the numbers would be huge from any source. if you go to a high end restaurant I think you want grain fed beef. if you have had a couple beers and bbq'ing steaks for your buddies you want grain fed beef

just my 2 cents

https://extension.sdstate.edu/grass-fed-beef-market-share-grass-fed-beef

Go and see how much space WalMart is dedicating to the grass/pasture raised/free range stuff. When America's poorest buyers who frequent places like WalMart are demanding these items there is more of a demand than you think. Heck a city as small as Fargo supports an Organic grocery store. Ain't my doings either. We live in farm country. Go into a convenience store in the mornings when the young (in their 20's) construction workers are buying drinks and snacks telling each other "don't buy that it had GMO grains in it". It's bigger than you think and growning. Doesn't matter if the info is wrong either. The folks who like GMO free, grass whatever are winning because they are getting the word out. Somehow the other side isn't getting the main stream media coverage. Not how I want to see things, just the way they are.

Rick