Fuel mileage on todays gas.

oleman

Just topped off the fuel on old truck in preparation for a visit up to Fayetteville AR on Monday 18 Oct 21.

Took 12.261 gallons to go 81 miles,. The tank holds 42 gal so it was indicating almost full. A tank full would have cost $131. today. I believe the  operator has been lead footing the 454 Suburban.

Strange, it does better when the engine load is reduced.

Middle grade fuel today was $3.119 per gallon at the local Walmart, good news, there appears to be no shortage.

28 minutes ago, oleman said:

Took 12.261 miles to go 81 miles,

Found a really good shortcut???

Sorry for the smart alecy remark☺️

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oleman said:

Just topped off the fuel on old truck in preparation for a visit up to Fayetteville AR on Monday 18 Oct 21.

Took 12.261 gallons to go 81 miles,. The tank holds 42 gal so it was indicating almost full. A tank full would have cost $131. today. I believe the  operator has been lead footing the 454 Suburban.

Strange, it does better when the engine load is reduced.

Middle grade fuel today was $3.119 per gallon at the local Walmart, good news, there appears to be no shortage.

3.55 gallon here in Pennsylvania 

I have little knowledge of Gen 4 and fuel injection, hated the throttle body on the Vortec 350’s for pulling 

Old school thinking was 454 and keeping your foot out of activating those huge secondaries on the Qjet was fairly economical with the torquey engine, never could perfect that behaviour and let her howl

I had twin 454s in a 34' Wellcraft. Holly carbs, pushed it right up on plane but 300 gallon tank was often a grand at the fuel dock. That was my last boat for the foreseeable future.

Avgas is $4.55 now. 12 GPH gives about 150 MPH.

Regular is right around $3 in my area but headed up.

Hit $3.55 this week. Thursday I went to pick up some wheel weights I bought at auction. 2 hour drive about 90% interstate just going off the gauge on the dash I got better mileage loaded than empty. 2020 f250 with 7.3L about 2000# of weights. Dash said 15.9mpg empty 16.1mpg loaded. 

14 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

Hit $3.55 this week. Thursday I went to pick up some wheel weights I bought at auction. 2 hour drive about 90% interstate just going off the gauge on the dash I got better mileage loaded than empty. 2020 f250 with 7.3L about 2000# of weights. Dash said 15.9mpg empty 16.1mpg loaded. 

I've run into that same situation getting better mpg when running with a small load compared to totally empty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I've run into that same situation getting better mpg when running with a small load compared to totally empty.

Glad to see it’s not just me. Month ago same trip plus hour or so farther I got better mileage out than back, but empty both ways. 

It's amazing what the effect of wind is on mileage. A slight headwind or tailwind will make a difference especially at highway speeds when air drag becomes significant. Traffic conditions can influence mileage as well. A little heavier traffic in one direction can mean speed changes that don't happen in the reverse direction when traffic eases up, or vice versa. Speed is another variable with big consequences. A few MPH one way or the other at highway speed when the drag rises/falls exponentially makes a big difference.

Sometime when there's a big wind watch the current MPG while on cruise on a regular run. If it's a headwind you'll actually see that extra fuel is being burned.

Carrying weight giving better mileage is only coincident to the real cause, it's never going to give any real extra mileage.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, jeeper61 said:

Them 454's are thirsty 

I had a 73 3/4T 454 with .308 gears that would get better mileage than a 350 small block with .410 gears.

It also would run up real close to 130 mph.

It was not the engine that was the issue, it was the rear end gears.

410 gears would pull anything but you couldn't pass a gas station.

.256 gears in a station wagon with a 454 ran over 20 mpg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I had a 73 3/4T 454 with .308 gears that would get better mileage than a 350 small block with .410 gears.

It also would run up real close to 130 mph.

It was not the engine that was the issue, it was the rear end gears.

410 gears would pull anything but you couldn't pass a gas station.

.256 gears in a station wagon with a 454 ran over 20 mpg.

You had several things in your favor with the station wagon: Gears, weight, and aerodynamics.

I had a half ton 2WD Chevy, 350, TBI, and 273 gears. It got super mileage. It had 387k on it when we parted ways. The truck was parted out as a body shop wanted the body and the new transmission it had for show truck they were building. They sold the engine and it went on to who knows what kind of life.

The 273 gears meant it had turned al lot fewer revolutions pulling a light load than it would have on 410s. To that I attribute its long life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, New Englander said:

It's amazing what the effect of wind is on mileage

Aerodynamic truck and fuel tanker trailer, wind still raises **** with me more than anything. 

I live in Pa. We don't talk about gas prices......... 😐 You will drive far to find it higher.