New Job

MCC

I started fresh out of college with a large corporation and have worked there 25 years as an "Industrial Electrician".  Fifteen years ago I got married and moved into my wife's home which was an hour away from where I worked.  I had it pretty good there, but the drive and mandatory weekends sucked.   The electrical superintendent for our local township is retiring and I was fortunate enough to have been hired as his replacement.  I am so very thankful to not have to drive through another winter and have to worry about being late to work by a minute ever again.  My new drive is actually a walk of a quarter block down to the municipality building.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MCC said:

I started fresh out of college with a large corporation and have worked there 25 years as an "Industrial Electrician".  Fifteen years ago I got married and moved into my wife's home which was an hour away from where I worked.  I had it pretty good there, but the drive and mandatory weekends sucked.   The electrical superintendent for our local township is retiring and I was fortunate enough to have been hired as his replacement.  I am so very thankful to not have to drive through another winter and have to worry about being late to work by a minute ever again.  My new drive is actually a walk of a quarter block down to the municipality building.  

THATS TERRIFIC!!!!!! so excited for you and your new position, I cant even imagine how thrilled you are not to have to fight the drive. I grew up with a DAD that did what you did. From 1970 to 1999 he drove 68 miles one way each day and night so roughly 140 miles daily. Got up at 5am each day to be at his union electrical job at the power company. You will be a totally new person not having the stress of the drive and this change in your life. All I can say is WOW, savor it and enjoy your new found time with your family. 

His vehicle of choice mainly for those years were ford taurus with the old vulcan 3.0 engines. Ran most of them 300K before replacing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, New Englander said:

👍

Exactly what does the job entail? Is it like the building inspector?

Keeping the power on for a nice small town of 800, and assisting the street and sewer department employees.  Can range from pole work to mowing.  They even have a Farmall A with a mid mount sickle bar for ditch mowing.  I am really looking forward to being out of the factory and off of the cement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MCC said:

Keeping the power on for a nice small town of 800, and assisting the street and sewer department employees.  Can range from pole work to mowing.  They even have a Farmall A with a mid mount sickle bar for ditch mowing.  I am really looking forward to being out of the factory and off of the cement.

Wonderful! Beware the politics and enjoy the new job! Hopefully it's a get-the-job-done bunch.