Car of my youth

dale560

Saw this picture of a 81 Pontiac on Steffes  sale. Dad bought one exactly like this but solid gold like the hood not two tone.  Included a picture of the engine this is what Iearned auto repair on. There must have been 30 5.7 diesels in the area I either swapped engines out or changed heads. Engines would be 2 1/2 days about day and 1/2 to change heads and service car.  A picture not a lot of extra space under the hood either back then

49565153-C1C8-43CD-8F2B-42F991E128F1.png

D2AFFE6B-577E-4C29-A731-50178131E1CC.png

Black is the best color for regals, but then you'd have a grand national. Win win!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete1468 said:

Black is the best color for regals, but then you'd have a grand national. Win win!

Guy I knew walked in the dealership and bought his wife a new Grand national with cash 

• Like 1

I don’t have any pics but I had an 81 Pontiac Parisienne 4 door back in 2005, originally a 267 2 barrel, had a 305 4 barrel when I ran it, it had no grille or passenger side front lights from a deer collision, I fabricated a grille from expanded steel and head light support from sheet metal, with oval amber clearance lights integrated as park and signal lights,  I was painting tractors for a living at the time and that inspired me to use CaseIH ironguard red, it was pretty cool back then but I prefer brown now for my four door hot rods

7 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

You have one Pete don’t you if I remember? That is also on my bucket list. 87 Chevy pickup and a regal grand national.

15 minutes ago, dale560 said:

You have one Pete don’t you if I remember? That is also on my bucket list. 87 Chevy pickup and a regal grand national.

Yes I do, I was thinking of getting it out tonight, I'll try and get a pic.  It doesn't run right when you get after it but it's hard to find someone who knows what they're doing to work on it out my direction.  I love it's smooth ride and nice body lines, the ac will freeze you out.

nuthin old around here, got rid of all of it - my first car was a 72 ford grand torino station wagon, yes the powder puff ford light blue - it had broken and was sitting in a barn lot, farmer told me if I could get it running i could have it - my dad and I went there, took a starter, battery, gas and in a couple hours had it running and actually i drove it 40 miles home w/out incident. It had a bent valve and missed horribly. It was my first engine to tear apart to fix also outside of my gas engines class in AG/Shop class in school.  it was a great car and I used it for everything from hauling wood to dead deer in the back. Never let me down one time. Had the illustrious 400 engine in it.  

• Like 1

First car was a 66 Ford Fairlane 500 GT , 289 hi performance auto , sure wish I had it now, I  fortunately am able to own a 1960 Studebaket Lark 8 . The grandkids love going to cruise nights with it. 

099A0FCC-70E6-438C-A7F5-2FBAC73631B9.jpeg

• Like 2

Pretty similar to grandmas 78 Buick lesabre that I fixed up in high school and drove. Still have the car. Drove it around a little bit this summer again. Carb was acting up though. Never got time to tear it apart.  Leaking gas out around the accelerator pump. 

12 hours ago, dale560 said:

Saw this picture of a 81 Pontiac on Steffes  sale. Dad bought one exactly like this but solid gold like the hood not two tone.  Included a picture of the engine this is what Iearned auto repair on. There must have been 30 5.7 diesels in the area I either swapped engines out or changed heads. Engines would be 2 1/2 days about day and 1/2 to change heads and service car.  A picture not a lot of extra space under the hood either back then

49565153-C1C8-43CD-8F2B-42F991E128F1.png

D2AFFE6B-577E-4C29-A731-50178131E1CC.png

Here's one of the cars from my youth...the list is long!1934 Plymouth five window.Put a lotta work into it,was a fun car.Sold it years ago tho.

Paul

20210922_094216.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First car I ever drove was a 34 ford, that was in 52.  When I was in high school (59-63) we had a 52 Chevy 2 door. These were our family cars.  In 63 I worked at a business equipment (mostly typewriters and adding machines) place. I cleaned and delivered. Working after school and 1/2 day on Sat. They had several vehicles 51 chevy 2 door, 58 Chevy wagon and my favorite was a 63 Ford Fairlane middle sized wagon with a 260 V8 with PS, PB and automatic, they thought I was responsible enough to drive safely because I never got a ticket.  

First car I ever actually owned was a 54 Chevy Belaire convertible in California in 1964. First time it rained, I raised the top and the steel came up  but the fabric stayed down. 

• Haha 1

Nice pics and stories.  My first was a 72 chevy nova.  Originally a 6cyl but I bought it with a 350/350hp.  It had the 3 on the tree tans.  Sadly I sold it for something like $1500 when my parents divorced and I lost storage.

• Sad 1

My first was a 1963 Mercury Meteor S-33 (in 1967, 1968). Lost it when someone pulled out in front of me on a rainy evening. I have been looking for one for the last several years. 

Blue bottom, White top, Blue bucket seat interior. Pictures disappeared many years ago.

First car was a 73 Pinto that I repowered with a 289 out of a 65 Galaxie I bought for conversion parts, needed serious rebuilding and the FMX transmission was way too bulky to fit and found a C4, put a hurst autostick 3 in it, I loved that shifter

PMS those look like old style centrelines😍

I remember when those GM 350 diesels were all the rage. A lot of farmers bought cars with them, I think so they could fill up with farm diesel and deduct it. Most of them didn’t stick around a really long time though.

Started withe a 1961 Pontiac, 1962 Olds 88 convertible, 1965 Chevy Impala SS 396, 4 speed, 1968  Chevelle SS 396  4 speed  my favorite 1970 GTO Ram Air 3. Got Married had kids  that was the end of Muscel for me.

Hard to beat a '66 Chevelle Super Sport... JMO...

First car I bought - a beast!!

There's one restored near me - Micky Thompson wrinkle walls with Cragar Mags on the front and deep dish chrome reverse on the rear - complete with an 8 track tape player - LOL!!

55 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

I remember when those GM 350 diesels were all the rage. A lot of farmers bought cars with them, I think so they could fill up with farm diesel and deduct it. Most of them didn’t stick around a really long time though.

Dad had an Olds two door Delta 88 with the 350 diesel.  It actually ran pretty decent and got in the high 30 mpg range on a trip.

He didn't keep it long enough to find out how it would last, though.  He traded pretty often.

3 hours ago, 1965Dennis said:

My first was a 1963 Mercury Meteor S-33 (in 1967, 1968). Lost it when someone pulled out in front of me on a rainy evening. I have been looking for one for the last several years. 

Blue bottom, White top, Blue bucket seat interior. Pictures disappeared many years ago.

Good luck in your search, the antique auto market is hot right now😎